can't stop LO gulping down air when feeding

chix

Reaction score
Hi there,

My LO has been feeding exclusively from bottles for the last couple of weeks (we did a slow transition from BF) but for the last couple of days she seems to have lost the knack of bottle feeding somehow.. its weird!

She keeps making these loud smacking noises when she swallows and then I can hear big bubbles of gas going down into her tummy.. pretty much every third suck.. I'm burping her as often as I can and loads of air comes out but I'm sure I'm not getting everything as the amount that goes in is just crazy.

We're using Dr browns bottles, really slow flowing teat.. it used to be fine, I don't know why she's suddenly struggling. I've tried using a faster flowing teat, holding her and the bottle in different positions etc, but I can't work out what's going on, nothing seems to make a difference.

Has anyone else got this problem?

To add to it, for the last couple of days she's been really unsettled during feeds and screaming/coughing etc after 3 ounces or so, so I think there's a bit of reflux going on too
xxx

Just curious does she have a tongue tie, as Owen was doing exactly this and he had 1, we had it done a few weeks ago and the gulping of air stopped

Just curious does she have a tongue tie, as Owen was doing exactly this and he had 1, we had it done a few weeks ago and the gulping of air stopped

Hi, nope apparently not.. she used to be good with bottles it's just kind of suddenly started, which is why I really don't get it! Glad your LO is sorted :)

My LO goes through spats of doing this every now and again.
I did change bottles and teats a few times when it first started happening.
I can't tell you how long she did this for but she did stop.
I also added some gripe water when she was doing this, it helped :)

My LO does this on every bottle iv tried him with other than the MAM anticolic bottles, cant reccomend them enough. They have different shaped teats, so much easier to latch onto.

Mine did this too at one stage, it came out the blue, then lasted for a while then she stopped again :wacko: tried diff bottles but all the same, she did stop and was drinking fine again. I did post this Q once too when it happened.

thanks everyone for your replies! It seems to be coming and going now.. but I think on balance she's slightly better on the faster flowing teats. Glad to hear that for most people it seems to have been something their LOs got over eventually :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->