Cereals Add 10+ Pounds of Sugar to Your Kid’s Diet

Wobbles

BnB Co-Founder ~ Retired
Reaction score
Click HERE to read the article on Momtastic

What cereals do you avoid for your family and yourself?

Good way to get some new threads going! They're needed.

We tend to avoid most 'nestle' etc cereals. I was gobsmacked when i looked at the sugar content in Rice Crispies!

The sugar content of some cereals is shocking.
Many are sold as being low fat, but make up for that with extra sugar and salt :(

TBH, I tend to buy the horrible cereals because I enjoy them too, lol. But I do realize they are pretty high in sugar, so try to balance diets in other meals.

I don't eat cereals but I'm a mean Mummy and refuse to buy really sugary cereals or chocolate ones. My LO's have things like porridge, weetabix, multigrain hoops.

Cereals are awful!! I give them to my son because he doesn't drink much milk so it's a good way to get milk in. I only give weetabix or shredded wheat, although shredded wheat gives him the runs so not good all the time! He also used to like Cheerios but I think they're too sugary.

I only give him Weetabix or Readybrek unless it's a special occasion. Those don't contain extra sugar, right? That's what the dentist told me.

My LO only has wheetabix. I don't think there's much sugar in that.

Cereals are soooo sugary. I refuse to buy them, if we have a cereal for breakfast it's just porridge oats with honey/fruit etc. He used to eat a lot of weetabix too. I've bought sugary cereals in the past as a treat, but we've eaten them for pudding instead of breakfast :lol:

We tend to stick with weetabix or porridge oats. I'm not a big fan of cereal but OH will buy it at times.

I think cereals are a HUGE cultural difference between US and European countries. I've noticed most over there seem to eat Weetabix or Shreddies, which are just a plain type cereal, right? Over here, we tend to eat Fruit Loops, Reese Puffs, Raisin Bran, Frosted Flakes, Honey Nut Cheerios, etc. All are pretty bad in sugar content, but they sure do taste yummy.

I'm really bad for having sugary cereal- especially things like Cookie Crisps which realistically I know is just a big ol' bowl full of cookies, but I trick myself into thinking is fine as it's breakfast cereal :dohh:. The kids have Wheetabix, Ready Brek or regular porridge. DS will occasionally have coco pops (maybe once every 3 months) but he's not fussed so I'll keep him on the good stuff for as long as posible- and eat the bad stuff myself :blush:

You should see the cereals out here in the USA and their sugar content, it's shocking! Also the colourings they use make them neon too, bleurgh. The kids went crazy the first time they came food shopping with me out here because EVERYTHING is brightly packaged and geared towards kids. I no longer take them food shopping anymore as I don't want them wanting it!

Sugary cereal is my downfall I love it, especially curiously cinnamon and crunchy nut.
I don't buy it anymore because I don't want jacob eating it, he eats weetabix and I eat porridge or dorset museli.. occasionally he will have cheerios or shreddies.

Jd83, british supermarkets have started to sell fruit loops, but its ridiculously expensive. .. I think a i saw tesco selling it for £5 box!

My girls have weetabix, porridge oats, shreddies or crunchy bran. We do have Special K as a snack but they only have that as a treat occasionally (it's sweeter than the other cereals we have).

If we are in a hotel (like once every 6 months!) they might have rice crispies or cornflakes but they're not really that fussed.

I lived in the states for a while and adored Cap'n Crunch! Dread to think how much sugar is in that.

My LO loves cereals.

She mainly eats weetabix, bran flakes, cornflakes, shredded wheat and porridge.

None of the super sugary ones X

My girls have weetabix, porridge oats, shreddies or crunchy bran. We do have Special K as a snack but they only have that as a treat occasionally (it's sweeter than the other cereals we have).

If we are in a hotel (like once every 6 months!) they might have rice crispies or cornflakes but they're not really that fussed.

I lived in the states for a while and adored Cap'n Crunch! Dread to think how much sugar is in that.

I use to LOVE Capn Crunch when I was a kid, but oh my goodness that stuff would always cut up the roof of my mouth.

I'm not big on cereals, I only like porridge (of which I tend to put a lot of sugar on :/) I can only eat cereal when the milk is warmed up. DS has shreddies or weetabix (no added sugar) hubby has weetabix, he's just started having the banana one but DS doesn't like it. Weetabix was our staple when weaning! So no sugary cereals here (but I can guarantee if I ate them I would add sugar for myself....)

Ds doesn't really like cereal. He used to like the mini strawberry weetabix when weaning, multigrain hoops and shreddies. He now like cranberry or apricot wheats.
I don't eat much in the way of cereals but I do love them, being good and have weetabix at the moment, I love porridge in the winter.
Ds would much rather have fruit or a cooked breakfast.
Xx

Weetabix or porridge here - I don't think lo has ever had sugary cereal, probably because I only eat weetabix so that's all we tend to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->