Cereals Add 10+ Pounds of Sugar to Your Kid’s Diet

Sugary cereal is my downfall I love it, especially curiously cinnamon and crunchy nut.
I don't buy it anymore because I don't want jacob eating it, he eats weetabix and I eat porridge or dorset museli.. occasionally he will have cheerios or shreddies.

Jd83, british supermarkets have started to sell fruit loops, but its ridiculously expensive. .. I think a i saw tesco selling it for £5 box!

It's not the same. In the US Froot Loops there is more sugar and a gross amount of artificial food colourings. You just have to look at the difference between the US and UK versions:

https://i60.tinypic.com/2927e3a.jpg

This is the kind of stuff that really annoys me about living here!

I ADORE fruity pebbles...but rarely every buy it and when we do, we have it as dessert or a treat!

I ADORE fruity pebbles...but rarely every buy it and when we do, we have it as dessert or a treat!

Mmm me too, I like to use them for fruity pebble treats rather than using rice krispies.

ETA: I think I have a cereal addiction/problem....

Sugary cereal is my downfall I love it, especially curiously cinnamon and crunchy nut.
I don't buy it anymore because I don't want jacob eating it, he eats weetabix and I eat porridge or dorset museli.. occasionally he will have cheerios or shreddies.

Jd83, british supermarkets have started to sell fruit loops, but its ridiculously expensive. .. I think a i saw tesco selling it for £5 box!

It's not the same. In the US Froot Loops there is more sugar and a gross amount of artificial food colourings. You just have to look at the difference between the US and UK versions:

It's actually a lot less sugar than when we were kids, if you can believe that! geez, I don't know how our parents dealt with us on those sugar buzzes as kids. Still a large amount of sugar in them, but not compared to years ago. They had a major crack down on the sugar amounts a few years back and cereal companies were told they had to cut it by I think 1/3 or so?

Yikes 56% :wacko:

There was a similar report here in the UK, in 2012. Up to 36% sugar in our cereals. Shredded wheat were the best for sugar, fat and salt though (Weetabix was medium for salt but good for sugar).

My dad couldnt get his diabetes under control despite being good, and it was because he thought cheerio's were good but they arent. He has shredded wheat now and it's under control.

Tesco's sell both, the one for the UK market and the exported one :thumbup:

We're a bran flake family. Mean mummy here! They sometimes get Cheerios lol

My DH loves bran flakes but they are quite high is sugar too 22%

Here is the NHS info on it all

https://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/02February/Pages/breakfast-cereals-still-too-high-in-sugar.aspx

Gosh Im so surprised about what's in the "good" cereals.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/2012/02February/Pages/breakfast-cereals-still-too-high-in-sugar.aspx

Wow wouldn't have even thought it would be anything that high! I need to read the labels apparently!

After reading this thread I didn't give my kids cereals this morning for breakfast :lol: I'm so shocked at what's in some of the 'good' cereals

Holy crap :( well I will not be buying that anymore :(

Tesco's sell both, the one for the UK market and the exported one :thumbup:

Yeah you're right, im sure the exported one is way more expensive. I just stood in that aisle and thought , wtf :nope: :haha:

Neither of mine seem to like cereals tbh. I love crunchy nut cornflakes though and M&S cinnamon crunch with apple, both of which have plenty of sugar. Oh well, don't stuff my face with them every day. Want to buy some fruit loops now (USA ones) as love the colours lol. Couldn't eat bran flakes if you paid me!

We don't buy cereals :) I make my own muesli using oats, seeds, w nuts & dried fruits. Kiddo doesn't eat any types of cereals & I honestly don't see a need for them

We have a variety of cereals in the house and I have always tried to steer DS1 towards the better ones that we have like weatabix and porridge but since we have others he like to have the occasional bowl of shreddies, crunchy nut cornflakes and Cheerios. I also use Cheerios as an easy snack as well.

I did find out the other day though why he no longer lets me make his porridge anymore is because daddy puts jam or hunny in it for him like he would himself. I give up!

Just looked at the bran flakes i buy and its 6% sugar not that bad really. I'll keep getting them.

I used to give Maria some kind of O cereal (like cheerios but less sugar) but she won't eat them anymore. She'll only eat muesli bars for breakfast which are probably worse for sugar :dohh: She gets porridge at daycare though if she gets there before 9 so thats a bit better.

.....she reads as she sits here eating a large (see at least two) serving bowl of Reese puffs cereal....

I know, it's bad. We don't normally eat cold cereal at our house. I eat oatmeal usually, so does LO, if we eat cereal at all. But DH wanted some, he's the only one who semi-regularly gets cold cereal. I don't give LO Reese puffs mainly because they seem a bit of a choking hazard at this point, but aside from that they are pure sugar!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->