Child benefit question

chysantheMUM

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know what would happen in my situation regarding child benefit. I have just read that for your oldest child you get £20 aweek child benefit and that for all other children you get £13.20. Now my baby which is due in September, is my 2nd child, my only other child (my eldest) is 23 years old and I haven't been claiming child benefit for him for many years now :winkwink: I automatically assumed that mean that I would get £13.20 a week for this baby. However, its not all about me (or is it?) you see its my OH's first and only child, so therefore HIS eldest child. So what will happen, will they class our newborn as the 2nd child or the eldest child when determining how much child benefit we're entitled to? :shrug: I know we'll find out soon enough, when baby is born and we put in our claim, but just wondering what happened to others in similar circumstances :flower:

I'm not sure but i think it will depend on who puts the claim in. If your Oh does it then you'll get the £20 but if you do then you'll get the lower amount but you might be lucky and get the higher amount anyway because you are no longer claiming for your eldest son.

You could always ring them and find out?

id of thought you would get 20 a week as your not receiving it for your oldest. But you would need to ring to be sure

The £20 per week is automatically paid for the oldest child up to 19 (if in full time education) and passed to next when oldest is no lobger eligible
(my mum has 5 kids) So I know that it was given for each of my sisters after me

It goes by how many children you are claiming for so as you don't get child benefit for your eldest you should get £20 for 2nd baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->