Chip and pin

shortie1990

Mummy to two under 2 :)
Reaction score
I thought since they introduced chip and pin, to make it safe, if the card had a chip, legally you cannot sign to buy things and you HAD to use chip and pin?

Thought a couple of years ago there was a dead line for being able to use your signature and past this date you had to use your pin?

Is this right or wrong? :shrug:

it's right!
but i've still had to sign sometimes. :haha:

I went to BnM last night, left Riley with OH, and just took Naomi, but because their trollers are always wet outside I just thought I'd carry her, so struggled round just holding her, got to the checkout and they refused my card because the signature strip is worn and can't see the signature and they didn't have chip and pin (not that it didn't work or were having issues with it, they just didn't have it!) they told me to nip to a cash machine(like you can 'nip' any where with a baby:dohh:) so I just told them to forget it - won't be going here again!

wtf. i'm pretty sure they HAVE to have a chip and pin machine.
complain to someone. i don't know who but i would :p

I know it was more of the Inconveinience of it, I only wanted batteries, but it's not like I get the chance to nip out any where just to pick some up, it's a huge mission!

Felt like telling her I was going for another card.. And just signed it in the car and gone back in :haha:

Stupid shop!

if they can't take card payments the way they should, they shouldn't take them at all!! i don't know what the laws on it are mind you ;)

It's still legal to sign in shop's which haven't upgraded to chip and pin technology xxx

All the supermarkets self checkut say 'swipe your chard if it won't do chip and pin' so I guess some peoples cards still don't have the option? I guess they have to have options if it's failed but I find it weird not having the option at all thought that can't be right!

I had to swipe and sign in B&M too!

a couple of times i have had to sign if the chip was playing up

wrong there is no law

chip and pin was introduced but some places still use the signature panel, in fact our asda fuel station still uses signature for authorisation

but no its not illegal

i wondered this also, my mum used her chip and pin in Bnb but also had to sign for her signature, odd :s

I work on checkouts at asda and we get the occasional customer with no chip so they have to swipe and sign. It's very rare though.

Thanks ladies ", better re sign my card then eh! :haha:

your card isnt valid anyway unless you can clearly see the signature. & shops can still ask you to sign for a card transaction if they havnt upgraded. x

There is a cost associated with upgrading their systems to take chip and pin hence some businesses still use the signature method. I think, however, that those who still use signatures cannot claim anything back from the clearing companies (who handle the transactions on behalf of the individual banks) if any fraud is involved. So if someone uses your card at a place where they are still accepting signatures, you are covered and still get your money back but the company that accepted the transaction isn't.

your card isnt valid anyway unless you can clearly see the signature. & shops can still ask you to sign for a card transaction if they havnt upgraded. x

I've had to get cards replaced before they were due to wear out owing to the signature strip starting to wear through (not due to over-use... oh no!). I also occasionally have to still sign for stuff - there's one large supermarket near us that just does not like the chip on one of my cards so I often have to signature it up old-style there.

I go through so many cards as they wear out, it's either the chip gets knackered and now the signature strip :dohh:

i always laugh at the expiry date on my cards - 2014!

i don't think so. i would've had about 6 cards before that time.

I had to sign the other day on the train to pay for my ticket

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->