Christmas Eve meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the family go to my mum's and have a HUGE buffet!

We probably will have my hubby's family in, at least some of them and either have a beef stew or maybe some party/finger foods of some sort. Not sure as I work half day so I think maybe the finger foods might be a better idea.

Christmas eve is the last day of Hanukkah this year, so we're doing a mix of jewish food (OH is sorting that out), and party food (pork free), with sweets and donuts. Excited!

I just do a normal food. Not sure what yet but it has to be everyone friendly and ready for when we get in from church. Last year I did chrizo rice with prawns but that's not suitable for the LO.

Growing up, my mum always bought a turkey crown and cook that and we would all have hot turkey and stuffing muffins for supper. Amazing!

For the last few years, me and DH have had a lobster dinner (he's catholic.. Fish on Christmas Eve). Not sure if we will keep that up this year or go back to my childhood tradition.

At my parents' we have fish (didn't know that was a Catholic thing, we're not!) sometimes mussels, sometimes roasted bream and vegetables, and then lots of nice cheese and crackers with some port /sherry in front of the tree!

At OH's parents' house its bits and pieces really, but I have brought the cheese tradition with me!

At my parents' we have fish (didn't know that was a Catholic thing, we're not!) sometimes mussels, sometimes roasted bream and vegetables, and then lots of nice cheese and crackers with some port /sherry in front of the tree!

At OH's parents' house its bits and pieces really, but I have brought the cheese tradition with me!

Haha.. It might not be. He just said one year that we eat fish on Christmas Eve and I remember one of my friends saying this (who's family are strict Catholics) and assume that's what it was.

Cooked ham & buffet goodies! We spend Xmas day & Boxing Day with family so it's our only chance to eat the Xmas treats we want which for me is lashings of pate & baked cheese.

Can't remember! so not sure we have anything specific. definitely not a take out tho. I get horrendous reflux/acid. not a good way to start xmas haha.

Growing up it was always Chinese takeaway or fish and chips. DH isn't that keen though, so I think we might have a party food feast instead. I like the easy frozen stuff from Tesco. We usually have that Christmas night too, if we don't go to the in-laws.

We always get chinese take away once kids are in bed and wrap the final pressies :)

We usually order in a big chinese buffet but over the past couple of years we have tried different things from cooking party food for a buffet or going out to a restaurant for Xmas Eve dinner and I can honestly say we are going back to ordering in a nice big chinese buffet!!
Honestly everything else was just too stressful for Xmas eve with all the other stuff we had to do on that day it made Xmas eve feel too rushed!! ��

Growing up, my mum always bought a turkey crown and cook that and we would all have hot turkey and stuffing muffins for supper. Amazing!

For the last few years, me and DH have had a lobster dinner (he's catholic.. Fish on Christmas Eve). Not sure if we will keep that up this year or go back to my childhood tradition.

It isn't that they eat fish but that they don't eat meat on xmas eve. My oh I Catholic and went to a Catholic school and they didn't serve meat on Fridays either I think. He doesn't abstain though so Chinese for us :D

Haha.. It might not be. He just said one year that we eat fish on Christmas Eve and I remember one of my friends saying this (who's family are strict Catholics) and assume that's what it was.

Being a new Catholic who had never heard of this, I had to go out and look it up. Apparently it used to be a day of abstinence, but isn't any longer. However, some people still follow the tradition. Newbies like me have no clue though :haha:

I cook the turkey on Christmas Eve and we have big Turkey and stuffing sandwiches. This year I think I won't bother with a turkey and will do a chicken and a gammon so it'll be chicken and stuffing or gammon sandwiches!

I'm staying over at my mum & dads this year on christmas eve & I think we'll probably order in a chinese so we don't have to cook haha x We always have a nice meal on boxing day though :)

Growing up my mum used to cook the turkey and some pork on Christmas Eve so we used to have pork butties. Since me and OH have been in our own house we have had chinese takeaway. It will be the same this year too, hopefully in our nice new house with the Christmas lights on the window (kitchen is in the front and is a kitchen/diner)

Chinese take aways do really well on Xmas eve it seems!! It hadn't even crossed my mind to have that but I'm really tempted to try it this year now! :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"