Christmas traditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

xprincessx

Mum to 5 beauties <3
Reaction score
Do you have any christmas traditions that you do every year?

one we only really started the last 2 years is I get a box of christmas themed crafty stuff to be used between school break up and Christmas Eve.
Decs up by DH birthday (4th Dec)
Christmas eve a tiny party, with just immediate family invited, party food for lunch and dinner. We make some of our own ginger bread men etc for this.

No real traditions other than immediately after putting up the tree we watch Muppet's Christmas Carol lol :haha: We put the tree up around the 13th/14th - it just works well like that.

We do tend do do the same things in the same sort of order on Christmas eve - we always go to the christmas market and then lock the door behind us when we get back and that's the start of Christmas for us! :cloud9: We bake mince pies and sausage rolls and watch back to back movies with Norad-Santa on the PC so the kids can keep track of him lol. Kids get a bath and into new PJ's extra early (as it gets dark lol) and then we watch The Snowman before they go to bed. We don't really eat a meal on Xmas eve either - it's more about nibbles, starting on the ham and other goodies and generally eating too much chocolate! lol

I always leave quite a lot of wrapping til Xmas eve too as it just feels christmassy - although I may not do it all then like I did last year. I was up past midnight only to see my beautiful parcels torn open 6 hours later! lol :dohh:

We are always away for Christmas at relatives, usually for a week so have various traditions!

Sunday before Christmas with inlaws - something Christmassy - Santa train / panto etc and a big roast lamb dinner

Christmas Eve - long seafront walk, pub lunch / drinks, some sort of family drinks party - usually tea time (lots of family live in same area) and then watch snowman and put stuff out for FC before lo goes to bed

Christmas Day - always: up, stockings, breakfast, showers, nice clothes and photos by the tree then main presents followed by dinner. We always have melon / smoked salmon, prawns and Parma ham combo for starter which I look forward to all year! We then veg with a film and games in the afternoon before a big buffet feast with downton abbey.

Boxing Day - lond seafront walk again to watch the Boxing Day swim followed by vegging / eating!

27th is always the big car fill up and wonder how on earth it'll all fit and the normally 3 hours but is always 5/6 hr drive home :-( love my Christmas week away by the sea.

Love it. Love it. Love it!!!!

You girls are making me feel super festive and warm inside :)

Our family has loads of traditions which I will share at some point. However, with a new bubs on the way I'm not sure how many I will be sticking to this year and may have to go with the flow somewhat :)

We usually watch a Christmassy movie on Christmas Eve :)
Christmas Day we have Christmas dinner out with my family, then on Boxing Day we have a get together and a buffet at my DH's family :)

The day after Thanksgiving we set up the Christmas tree (me and DDs, DH could care less).

Christmas Eve DH and I watch It's a Wonderful Life while drinking wine and finishing up wrapping.

That's it really for traditions, mostly we go with the flow.

We have our Elf, who arrives on 1st December, and last year I crocheted 24 little christmas stockings, which I strung together as an advent garland, which will become a tradition. We usually go to the local Christmas market. We make gingerbread together (and eat it! Nom nom nom!). We like to watch Christmas films on Christmas eve, and the elf brings a new one to watch, along with new pj's. We don't leave the house on Christmas day since having the children, and one or both sets of parents will come round for lunch. We open our stockings in bed, before getting up and diving in to the main presents. We always have bacon butties for breakfast, and watch the snowman in the afternoon.

Ooh, it's making me feel all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it! And really sad, as there is a distinct possibility I will be working at some point this year :(

Dec. 1st the elf comes with advent cal and Dec. 1st bag.

Xmas eve we have the in laws over and Colin gets a new pair of pjs and a new book to read. Has a bath and into pjs. Then bed and Daddy brings out gifts when we are asleep.

Xmas day we wake up and open stockings then big gifts. About lunch or so we go to hubby's parents for more gifts. Later in the day we have Christmas dinner.

My family would always spend a lot of time together over the Christmas period, but my father started this great tradition about ten years a go for us all to go do something different New Years Day! We've been go-karting and dry slope skiing as examples!

My brother's birthday is also on christmas day so we always have a little tea party for him and as he's such a big football (soccer) fan, we always go watch our team (Swansea) play on Boxing Day no matter where in the UK they play! Sadly, as I now live in Vancouver with my husband I miss out on all these things!!

We have been changing things up some but certain things stay the same.

We don't do elf on a shelf (would love to though!) but we do the chocolate countdown calendars on Dec 1st. I may do up a little kit for the kids too on that day with some craft stuff and books (maybe, if finances permit as we are BROKE)

We decorate inside in November (sometimes the first of November) and the outside we have our lights on after the 11th (Remembrance Day).

Tree is usually up mid-November but I think I will wait until the first of December this year and make an evening out of it with a Christmas movie, books and candies.

The 24th we may do the gathering here, or go into my Aunts and Uncles and have Chinese food. My grandmother may stay the night here too with us this year (its her home, but she moved us in and went to live with my brother last year when my grandfather passed away) so I think she would really enjoy being back here as she says she feels so close to him here. We always do the Christmas eve bags, put out cookies and a carrot for the reindeer. We will also plant the elf seeds this year at some point and do the footprints in icing sugar where Santa comes in (LOVE PINTEREST)

We will be having Christmas dinner here this year, as my SIL and brother are hosting her family at their house this year. Gram will help I am sure and make her delicious stuffing :D After dinner people end up going home and we chill while the kids play. Boxing day is just a lazy day too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"