Chromosomal Testing After D&C

hopefulmama2b

Angel Mama
Reaction score
Hi ladies I had a MMC in February and just received my results today from the chromosomal testing. They showed a trisomy 16. I read on Wikipedia :haha: that this is a very common cause of mc. This is reassuring, however, since this is my second loss I just worry if I will continue to have chromosomal problems in the future. Anyone else had a trisomy 16 with their pregnancy as well? Thanks for reading!

Hopeful-I have had two MC as well. This last one I had testing done, and I too had Trisomy 16 chromosomal abnormality. I also found out that we lost a little boy. :( Anyway, it's nice to know that there is nothing wrong with either or us nor our partners, but the fear is definitely there as well for further complications. I get frustrated sometimes that they did not do testing with the first fetus, b/c I have no baseline. This is completely out of my hands...God has a plan, and that is my only comfort and hope.

Thanks for posting. I agree- it would be nice to have answers to the first loss as well. I can only speculate. I'm sure we'll both be nervous during our next pregnancies, but hopefully they'll end much happier. Your son is adorable and such a big smile! :)

Thanks! :) He gets me through some pretty hard days...I am grateful for him! I just hope I can give him a brother or sister some day!

I lost my baby 2 weeks ago at 18 weeks pregnant to what they think was Trisomy 18. it's almost 3 weeks Thursday so I will know soon, they told me 4 to 6 weeks., :nope: They immediately told me to try again, which I will not cause I can't go through this pain again, ever. I know it can either be just a one time thing or you may have a problem with a chromosomal defect, i am hoping they tell me which mine was. I am 40 and have 3 healthy children, but my husband did have radiation for 3 weeks about 2 years ago before I got pregnant so I don't know if that was it or I had a bad egg or it was the blood pressure meds I was on, I just don't know and I don't know if they will tell me, I doubt it. Every doctor says radiation had nothing to do with it since it was 2 yrs ago, but a lot that I have read says the opposite, I don't trust these doctors anymore :nope:You can go to your doctor and be tested you and your husband to see if you have a certain gene and if it may happen again , but for most it's just bad luck. So sorry for your loss :hugs:

Andypanda- so, so sorry to hear about your loss :hugs: I "only" got to bond with my little one for 9 weeks and that has been a huge problem for me emotionally. May not sound like a long time, but to me it was. I can't imagine bonding for 18 weeks and then losing your little one. My mind constantly thinks of things that could have caused it, but I think in reality it probably just happened. No good reason. I read that most have to do with the egg so I just constantly wonder if there's anything I did around conception. I took 1.5 Xanax for a plane ride 3 days before conception, but I figure people take that med every day prior to knowing they are pregnant and have healthy pregnancies. Surely that couldn't have been it. I'm sure, like you, I'll always wonder. Sorry again for you loss. I'm sorry to hear that you don't want to try again due to the pain, but I completely understand. I hope you continue to heal emotionally. :hugs:

i wish now that i had chromosomal testing but we never did with either of them. it does leave me wondering since i can't put it down to a cause apart from "just one of those things" hopefully knowing will put your mind at rest in that aspect.
good luck ladies :hugs:

Hi, ladies! I had a missed miscarriage in June and had to have a D and C on June 30th. We did the testing and found that our sweet little one also had trisomy 16. I was just wondering how you are both doing and if you have had any luck since your last posts. I am so terrified to even try again. I know they say it is rare to have multiple miscarriages, but when I get online and start reading, it seems like they are everywhere. Like both of you, my doctor said the trisomy was nothing I could help and that my odds of having another mc due to trisomy weren't any higher just because I had had one. I am waiting right now for my first cycle, but am trying not to get my hopes up for any future baby plans. Fortunately I do have one beautiful little girl who is 2, so that is what has gotten me through this. I have several friends struggling to have one sweet little one, so I consider myself blessed.

my loss in january had edwards syndrome. so I am pretty sure I know how you feel. it was good to know why. but it just sucks that it doesnt explain all my other losses.

luvmymoo- We are still trying to get pg again. It took a really long time (over 3 months!) for my betas to fall. This is our second cycle since they have been down. We're hoping for good news soon and hoping the next one is our rainbow baby. Good luck to you and sorry for you loss. :hugs:

I would still love to hear from others who have experienced chromosomal problems as well...

I am still waiting for the results from my mc in May. I should be getting them in my appointment in a couple of weeks.

Good luck ceejie. Sorry for your loss and I hope you get some answers with your results. :hugs:

Thanks! I really hope I get some answers too, because it's the worst feeling not knowing why and even though I know I couldn't have prevented it, I still think of all the things I did while pregnant...

Don't beat yourself about that Cee. I did too so I understand. I didn't know I was pregnant and since I wasn't TTC at the moment I went to Busch Gardens, went on rides, had lots of wine, ugh. Feel SO stupid but I didn't know and truth is I'm pretty sure I would have mc anyways since I have issues with that. So please, don't blame yourself.

Thanks for your reply, hopeful. Good luck to you!!! My sister in law had three miscarriages and now has seven year old triplets, so there is always hope.:) My doctor didn't check any of my levels, but he told me I could start trying again once I get my first cycle. I've never been so eager for my period to arrive.:) I'm terrified of another mc...this mc has really stolen the joy of getting pregnant for me. Ive learned that a positive test doesn't necessarily mean a healthy baby, and I find that sad and so scary, but all I can do is focus on the positive and keep trying, so that's what I'm doing.

Don't beat yourself about that Cee. I did too so I understand. I didn't know I was pregnant and since I wasn't TTC at the moment I went to Busch Gardens, went on rides, had lots of wine, ugh. Feel SO stupid but I didn't know and truth is I'm pretty sure I would have mc anyways since I have issues with that. So please, don't blame yourself.

I know, I'm sure that is was nothing I did, but now I think back and there are a thousand things I wish I hadn't done. I have irregular periods and kept getting BFNs day after day so I figured I wasn't pregnant. I got a spray tan, I ran a 10k race, I ate tons of food I shouldn't have, I'm sure I had hot baths/showers...Then about 9 days after my last BFN I took a test and it was positive. And while I know that probably not what caused a problem, it still bothers me to think about it.

Thanks for your reply, hopeful. Good luck to you!!! My sister in law had three miscarriages and now has seven year old triplets, so there is always hope.:) My doctor didn't check any of my levels, but he told me I could start trying again once I get my first cycle. I've never been so eager for my period to arrive.:) I'm terrified of another mc...this mc has really stolen the joy of getting pregnant for me. Ive learned that a positive test doesn't necessarily mean a healthy baby, and I find that sad and so scary, but all I can do is focus on the positive and keep trying, so that's what I'm doing.

It is sad and scary that mc has done this to us, but we just have to keep on trying. What a great story about your sil!!! Amazing! Also, I remember when I first got my period after af and I was totally smiling ear to ear and doing the happy dance. It's sad that the previous pregnancy is offically over, but brings you hope to keep moving forward.

I know, I'm sure that is was nothing I did, but now I think back and there are a thousand things I wish I hadn't done. I have irregular periods and kept getting BFNs day after day so I figured I wasn't pregnant. I got a spray tan, I ran a 10k race, I ate tons of food I shouldn't have, I'm sure I had hot baths/showers...Then about 9 days after my last BFN I took a test and it was positive. And while I know that probably not what caused a problem, it still bothers me to think about it.

I did the same thing and realistically I know it's nothing I did, but you can't help but wonder. People do much worse and their pregnancies continue so I really think it was out of your control. :hugs:

I had a MMC May 19th. We are WTT so I can give birth during summer vacation from college. I don't know if the hospital or doctor tested for anything or not. Hopefully if they did, it will be on records for when I concieve again.

I just wonder if the odds of this increase just like Down's, in the way of age? I'm 32. Is this my body's way of telling me I'm more likely to have a Down's or Edward's child as I get older? Not that I care, but it seems like something doctors need to address. It's like the medical attitude is, "These things happen. Get over it. Try again later. Good luck." Like the emotional aspect of losing a pregnancy is no big deal to those that see it on a daily basis. Well, it is to those of us that go through it. And it doesn't get easier each time, either! I believe a huge part of moving past the grief is having as much information as possible. I don't want to hear, "Oh, it's common. Don't worry about it, you couldn't have done anything different to change the outcome. Just keep trying!" I want to know *why exactly* this happened. I want to know what abnormality occurred, and why. Am I too old? Did I smoke too much weed out of an aluminum can as a teenager? Was it the birth control? The hormones in the food? Doctors don't care. They don't get paid for prevention.

I did some looking, and found this: "While trisomies can occur in people of any age, there is an association between a mother’s age and the chance to have a baby with a trisomy. An association is simply scientific term for a link. An association is not a cause. This is an important point, because people are often under the mistaken belief that maternal age causes Down syndrome. This is not true. We do not know what causes trisomies to occur. We simply know that as women get older, the risk for having a pregnancy with a trisomy increases." https://downsyndrome.about.com/od/whatcausesdownsyndrome/a/Causeintro_ro.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->