Circumcision

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people's cultures do not avocate circumcision. I hope that's also respected and members of that culture's views are allowed to be expressed?

I have said it before and I will say it again, I will never understand why this is such a heated conversation but since the thread is still open I will answer.

I think it is definitely up to each parent to decide what they want for their child. If my baby is a boy, he will be circumcised because DH is and every man I have known is, it is common here and I consider it sanitary. (Now, I know people will disagree but please lets not argue. It is how I feel and that is that.)

I really hope we can all agree to disagree and not get upset. This is a personal decision and I think everyone's views should be respected even if you disagree.

Everybodies culture and beliefs should be respected ... no matter what side of the fence you are on so please keep that in mind ladies :)

Some people's cultures do not avocate circumcision. I hope that's also respected and members of that culture's views are allowed to be expressed?

I think expressing your opinion is great and appreciated. Calling others "barbaric" or telling them they are "mutilating their child" is offensive. I have not read one post that was by a person who was pro-circumcision that was rude about the other's choices but a good majority of the other posts are rude and disrespectful of others choices.

I do not have a boy or know if I would circumcise a boy if I had one but if a parent chooses to do so it is not barbaric or child abuse. We need to respect others choices without putting them down for them!!

I agree that everyone should be respected, including people who dont agree with circumcision. I think the difference seems to be that people who choose circumcision are made to feel like they are butchering their child. On the other hand I have not seen once in this thread where anyone is throwing around anything insulting towards those who dont agree with it. If it was still common practice and was that way all over the world no one would bat an eye and it would be the thing to do..no one is right and no one is wrong. No one can prove that the medical benefits are all bullshit and no one can prove that they arent....agree to disagree with some respect to others is apparently the only thing that can be done....If it isnt one thing that people disagree with, it is another.

Kikismom - I'm not sure if you were addressing me individually there, but as you quoted a post of mine, I'll assume you were.

Therefore: if you will read my first post again, you will find that I did not call any individual barbaric, rather that I find the practice to be barbaric. There is a difference. If you chose to interpret it in in a different way, it's your choice but it's not what I said.

The other words you used - "mutilating your child" - did not come from me and I'd appreciate if you'd acknowledge that. :)

It's all a matter of personal choice!

Some may think it's barbaric, yet I am of the opinion that it's the biggest gesture of faith a parent can show by changing their child's body only because it's a part of their belief! It almost makes me wonder if it has something to do with the story of Abraham yet no one mentions it! Nobody wants to harm their child, but to do something like this in this day and age, in the name of Faith.... I think it is a pretty powerful statement by itself!

I dont think there is ANY action comparable to circumcision since it is a combination of more than one reason... permanent alteration of a child's body part which definitely has a history for religious purposes but an ambiguous response in the medical point of view...

- Ear piercing is a cosmetic thing! I am obligated to be corrected if there is another reason...
- Cutting nails and hair is hygenic. Although I believe Sikh men do not cut their hair but are very strict with the cleanliness!
- Pulling teeth out for not being clean? Well you'll have to get the poor kid some dentures to chew then... :rofl:

Mary Jo- No I was just quoting your post because I wanted to point out that I thought the against circ side was already being represented very well and was very much being allowed to express their views but then I went on with my other feelings about this thread.

i personally am totally for it.
all that skin if left looks just ugly and ughh. i don t even wanna think about it.
and nowadays kids don t feel anything. it gets done around age 3 and a month later it s as if they never had it done.

I am also Muslim and my sons will both be circumcised. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and its a topic that no one can be right or wrong.It is what you think is best and right for your child. Like I said in my other post on another circ thread, I LOVE MY SON AND MY BUMP MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THE WORLD AND I AM A GOOD MUM IMO so will not accept being called barbaric. Barbaric is a very strong word which I would call the sick people who beat their kids so badly that they suffer and die in pain,or who neglect their children,not someone who circumcises their son which they hardly feel and remember anyway.

Ladies please remember that although you may not agree with the practice there are other people's cultures and religions that do and you should respect that.

Not all views should be respected. And respect isnt something you can just give, either you respect it or you don't. It's not really a choice. I prefer people beeing honest, then lieing to be "politically correct".

I'm sure if you think about it that you don't respect everyones cultures and religions either.

Found some info. on the subject and thought I'd put it out there...

Info? Really? let's take a look shall we...

1. Many older men, who have bladder or prostate gland problems, also develop difficulties with their foreskins due to their surgeon's handling, cleaning, and using instruments. Some of these patients will need circumcising. Afterwards it is often astonishing to find some who have never ever seen their glans (knob) exposed before!

Counter to this argument: Some women get breast cancer. Perhaps we should remove their mammary glands at birth?

2. Some older men develop cancer of the penis - about 1 in 1000 - fairly rare, but tragic if you or your son are in that small statistic. Infant circumcision gives almost 100%protection, and young adult circumcision also gives a large degree of protection.

Counter to this argument: Some women get breast cancer. Perhaps we should remove their mammary glands at birth?

3. Cancer of the cervix in women is due to the Human Papilloma Virus. It thrives under and on the foreskin from where it can be transmitted during intercourse. An article in the British Medical Journal in April 2002 suggested that at least 20% of cancer of the cervix would be avoided if all men were circumcised.

Counter to this argument: And this is why it is important to educate young adults about proper condom use. Women can also get HPV from sex an circumcised man without a condom.

4. Protection against HIV and AIDS. Another British Medical Journal article in May 2000 suggested that circumcised men are 8 times less likely to contract the HIV virus. (It is very important here to say that the risk is still far too high and that condoms and safe sex must be used - this applies also to preventing cancer of the cervix in women who have several partners.)

Counter to this argument: And this is why it is important to educate young adults about proper condom use. Anybody, circumcised or not, can get HIV or AIDS if they don't use a condom. But thanks for adding that second part about how reasons 3 and 4 are moot anyway.

5. Lots of men, and their partners, prefer the appearance of their penis after circumcision, It is odour-free, it feels cleaner, and they enjoy better sex. Awareness of a good body image is a very important factor in building self confidence.

I am not going to argue with this but I think the preference in appearance argument is pretty weak as a good reason to cut off a part of the body.

6. Balanitis is an unpleasant, often recurring, inflammation of the glans. It is quite common and can be prevented by circumcision.

Counter to this argument: So is breast cancer, but we don't go ahead and remove the mammary glands at birth do we?

7. Urinary tract infections sometimes occur in babies and can be quite serious. Circumcision in infancy makes it 10 times less likely.

Counter to this argument: The actual incidence of urinary tract infections in infants is quite low. I still don't see this as a good justification to cut off a part of the body.

There was more there, but it was mostly trying to convince people that they should do it...I just tried to extrapolate the facts from the trying to convince.
I just cant stand weak justification that tries so hard to be scientific but in reality is a joke as it's so easily countered, so I had to answer.

I would like to state though, that there is a VAST difference in female and male circumcision. Female circumcision is not the "removal of an unnecessary portion of the genitals", but instead the removal of the portion of the genitals that provides PLEASURE during sex. I just feel that taking something OFF and taking something OUT are two completely different stories.

Not all types and forms of FMG are the same. Only one version actually removes the clitoris. Others remove the outer labia, etc. Of course we are against all types as they are unnecessary and I find the same is true of circumcision.

Bottom Line: They will never come up with a sound scientific argument about why circumcision at birth is necessary because there are none. At the end of the day tradition is still why it's done at birth, not for any medically necessary reason. They need to stop trying to give out this stuff as justification because it just sounds like desperation for approval. I am not going to say circumcision is barbaric etc, but own up to why you really did it and be prepared for not everyone to agree with it since it is in the end unnecessary.

i personally am totally for it.
all that skin if left looks just ugly and ughh. i don t even wanna think about it.
and nowadays kids don t feel anything. it gets done around age 3 and a month later it s as if they never had it done.

'The evidence that neonates feel pain and suffer as much or more than do older children and adults is conclusive and generally accepted today.'

https://www.cirp.org/library/pain/

Of course they feel pain.

It looks to me that people have been asked to show a bit of respect for other peoples opinions, this does not mean picking apart posts.

People don't seem to have taken any notice so thread now closed until it has been fully reveiwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back