Cloth Nappies beginner

well i have around 39 nappies and i wash every 2 days but i never ever ever run out !!LOL i think about 15-20 would be sufficient at most! dependng on when you intend to switch to cloth, obv you might need to wash more often till lo stops pooing and weeing as often, but once you hit 3-4 months you will defo be able to survive on 15 to wash every 2 days or 3:)

Right I was thinking of switching to cloth once LO has had the first few days/weeks of clearing the system that DD went through.

So hopefully that'd be enough to stick with 15 - 20 nappies. So is that the bit inside or the whole thing?
Was thinking of getting 8-10 of those pocket thingies (they're all in one aren't they?) for out and about and then the rest abit more complicated for at home or at nans etc.
If the 15-20 is the inside bit then how many outers do I need?

I think it's going to cost me a fortune.

lol it will cost u a fortune!!! he he !! but think of the savings in the long run!!!

right with pockets you need a new nappy each change so you will need 15-20 of those, if you want some extra inserts for high pee times then i'd say maybe 5 extra inserts?? the ones you can just change the inserts are all in two's such as Pop ins or Itti Bitti D'lish :D .... actually do you have a mothercare near you? the smart nappy system is quite good too and you can have a little play in store before you buy!! you get inserts that just sit inside the waterproof bit and you only need o change the outer if theres been a poo !!

I was actually looking at Mothercare today (spooky) and been talking to my mum who used Terries on me.

https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44532031&mcb=core

This is what I've seen that I think will give us a fair go of a trial without costing the earth then if all good I was gonna look more into the Smart Nappy for out and about so all I have to do is change the insert (unless poo)

yeah i have some terry's and i really love how simple they are :) (and cheap) lol even if you dont get on with them you can use them as inserts for other nappies wash cloths bum cloths dusters etc etc ! i dyed a few of mine too so they are quite funky too :)

I have been looking at the funky colours but got a little annoyed at the difference in price so me and mum are thinking of tie-dying a few :D LOL

It may be that they get used for something else when we start getting fancier but they seem the easiest and cheapest version for now.

Mum was saying about how you soak them? Is this true?

I have some bamboo terry flats and I don't soak, just dry pail with the rest of my nappies and wash at 60C.

They're really good, I actually enjoy using them a lot more than I ever thought I would. The bamboo terry is *so* absorbant and gorgeous, sort of a cross between fluffy and silky, quite luxurious for something that is soaking up poo and wee. :rofl:

I was gonna look more into the Smart Nappy for out and about so all I have to do is change the insert (unless poo)

I use mostly smart nappies and to be honest, I've never used them like that when out and about, even though I think that's what they suggest. I usually find that even if not properly wet, the outers could do with airing before reuse, so I switch the whole nappy, leave the outer to air and use it again next time. When I'm out, it's actually quicker and easier to have a whole nappy made up in the changing bag, and the outers don't take up much room. So if that's the only reason you'd go for the smart nappies, I don't think it's as practical as mothercare seem to think! The disposable inserts are good though if you're out and you think baby might poo, cos you can chuck that bit away instead of carrying a pooey insert around with you. Don't get me wrong, I love the smart nappies, but for other reasons :)

I have some bamboo terry flats and I don't soak, just dry pail with the rest of my nappies and wash at 60C.

They're really good, I actually enjoy using them a lot more than I ever thought I would. The bamboo terry is *so* absorbant and gorgeous, sort of a cross between fluffy and silky, quite luxurious for something that is soaking up poo and wee. :rofl:

Will def look out for the bamboo ones then. Thanks

I was gonna look more into the Smart Nappy for out and about so all I have to do is change the insert (unless poo)

I use mostly smart nappies and to be honest, I've never used them like that when out and about, even though I think that's what they suggest. I usually find that even if not properly wet, the outers could do with airing before reuse, so I switch the whole nappy, leave the outer to air and use it again next time. When I'm out, it's actually quicker and easier to have a whole nappy made up in the changing bag, and the outers don't take up much room. So if that's the only reason you'd go for the smart nappies, I don't think it's as practical as mothercare seem to think! The disposable inserts are good though if you're out and you think baby might poo, cos you can chuck that bit away instead of carrying a pooey insert around with you. Don't get me wrong, I love the smart nappies, but for other reasons :)

Ah right ok - I thought it would be annoying to carry em around but if they're not really gonna take up extra space etc then it's not a huge deal.
We're getting disposable liners anyway so not too much of a worry about the pooey bits coming along.
Might have to invest in some nappy bags perhaps to carry the wet/dirty nappy home again to wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->