Clothes as presents - is it just me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the same, i dont buy clothes as presents unless they are 'special' for some reason or other. My family sometimes buy clothes and wrap them though and my kids are still appreciative. x

I buy some clothes but not a lot like the others mostly a few character tops x

I never buy clothes as presents. Unless charracter things she will like. I don't see clothes as presents tbh as I just buy them anyway. Each to their own x

No I don't buy clothes as presents.
I've already started autumn winter clothes for lo and more shopping to be done next weekend.
However I do like to get a few vouchers as presents for stores I buy lo's clothes at so I can get some bargains in new year sales.
I'd rather that than a toy she probably will just throw there.
I've told my mum this year one toy and a voucher.

I think it's wrong giving clothes as presents for small children. Not very exciting for them to open. They are basically essentials and I think it's a bit cheap tbh,like wrapping a loaf of bread and giving it as a gift. It's different once they are teenagers I think,and they want specific expensive designer stuff.

I don't really buy my daughter clothes for Christmas or her birthday (although looking back I did get her a Minnie Mouse dressing gown last Christmas), how ever I have no problem with other people buying her clothes as gifts, although I much prefer getting vouchers. I will be bringing her up to be grateful for any gift, regardless of what it is. She may not find clothes as exciting as a new toy (what child would?) but that doesn't mean she can't be grateful. If all a child was getting was clothes for Christmas then it would be a different story.

I think it's wrong giving clothes as presents for small children. Not very exciting for them to open. They are basically essentials and I think it's a bit cheap tbh,like wrapping a loaf of bread and giving it as a gift. It's different once they are teenagers I think,and they want specific expensive designer stuff.

I give some clothes as presents, particularly character stuff, and that stuff is defiantly not cheap. My son sees ever present as exciting no matter what's in it. Last Christmas he was bought a T-shirt by a friend of mine that he loved as they had his name put on it. I feel sorry for any child who's not grateful for a present no matter what it is.

I got clothes as a kid and whether I liked them or not I was grateful and they were exciting to unwrap, even at about four or five. The whole experience of Christmas is exciting at that age! I haven't bought Rory any clothes this year, though I am buying us all Christmas pyjamas and socks for Christmas Eve, but I see nothing wrong with it. A whole wardrobe is perhaps extreme though, but then I never go out and buy Rory a full season of clothes anyway, I just here and there when he needs something, so I find that odd!

Haha am feeling bad now, I spent loads of money on clothes and just a few toys for my daughters birthday, but she gets spoiled rotten off relatives with toys etc so that's why I have bought mainly clothes this year, I only really buy pjs at Xmas tho the rest toys

I'm not really sure how giving any kind of gift can be wrong tbh. :shrug:
Most kids won't find it as exciting opening clothes as they will toys but I've taught all mine to be appreciative no matter what they receive.

I certainly don't find it cheap that some people choose to buy them clothes, surely it's the thought rather than what's actually in it anyway? I think it would be extremely ungrateful to think otherwise?

Haha am feeling bad now, I spent loads of money on clothes and just a few toys for my daughters birthday, but she gets spoiled rotten off relatives with toys etc so that's why I have bought mainly clothes this year, I only really buy pjs at Xmas tho the rest toys

Don't feel bad, just because some choose not to doesn't mean your wrong in doing so.
Even though I'm not buying clothes myself I will probablly ask family to for DD4s birthday, she will only be 1 and has plenty of toys already with plenty more to come 2 weeks later.

I got clothes as a kid and whether I liked them or not I was grateful and they were exciting to unwrap, even at about four or five. The whole experience of Christmas is exciting at that age! I haven't bought Rory any clothes this year, though I am buying us all Christmas pyjamas and socks for Christmas Eve, but I see nothing wrong with it. A whole wardrobe is perhaps extreme though, but then I never go out and buy Rory a full season of clothes anyway, I just here and there when he needs something, so I find that odd!

The BIB is what I find odd too, it's funny how everyone does things their own different way. As long as there are happy kiddies on Xmas day who cares what the breakdown of clothes vs toys was.

And shazney22 don't feel bad, that makes a lot of sense and tbh I can see myself doing something similar for future birthdays.

I wrap new pjs and their Xmas day outfit then if I get anything character based.

I don't gift clothes no. And think using them as a 'bulking' agent for the pile of gifts is really strange. I don't think kids needs a massive mountain of gifts, personally, it's about content, not volume. Certainly in my house.

I wouldn't buy clothes for my daughter except the usual pjs and socks etc. She does get given clothes from some relatives but she can be pretty enthusiastic about them so all good. As long as she has stuff to play with too she is happy.

See I buy a whole wardrobe in one go because if I bought a bit at a time, I'd end up with 20 tees and 1 pair of jeans. Plus I don't go out much, so hardly ever am in a situation where I can buy him a few items here and there. I have to go out with the intention of buying new clothes.

I don't gift clothes. Maybe the odd piece of character clothing, and of course Christmas Eve jammies, but other than that no. I also wouldn't be giving him his entire winter wardrobe in December, it seems pretty late. What would he be wearing before that?
I loved getting clothes as a kid but then lots of my clothes were hand-me-downs and a bit meh. Lucas gets new clothes all the time so he doesn't like unwrapping them.
I don't want to piss him off at Christmas :lol:

I will absolutely be giving DS2 clothes for Christmas, he will be 1 and has everything he needs and could want (especially being the second) I'm not filling our house with plastic because it's "cheap" to buy essentials, he just needs to be seen to unwrap something or his big brother will get upset :haha: when DS1 was very young DH and I were very strapped for cash, we asked people to give clothes if they asked because it helped and all he needed was something to unwrap (our families spoil him so he got a ton of toys too!) and even though now DH and and I are a world away from the financial difficulties we had those years ago I will not waste money for the sake of it, if a child doesn't appreciate a present because it is an item of clothing I would seriously be questioning how you are bringing up that child tbh.

I will absolutely be giving DS2 clothes for Christmas, he will be 1 and has everything he needs and could want (especially being the second) I'm not filling our house with plastic because it's "cheap" to buy essentials, he just needs to be seen to unwrap something or his big brother will get upset :haha: when DS1 was very young DH and I were very strapped for cash, we asked people to give clothes if they asked because it helped and all he needed was something to unwrap (our families spoil him so he got a ton of toys too!) and even though now DH and and I are a world away from the financial difficulties we had those years ago I will not waste money for the sake of it, if a child doesn't appreciate a present because it is an item of clothing I would seriously be questioning how you are bringing up that child tbh.

Totally agree with the end part, have been thinking all day/ since pp reply of how to word it a bit more politely than what my head was coming up with lol
Just because it may not be as interesting as the toy they want, doesn't mean a kid shouldn't be taught to show gratitude no matter what's in their parcel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back