Cold sores??

TTC 84

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever had one until today , I'm worried that it can harm bubs . Why would I all of a sudden get one ?

Your baby should be ok.
Cold sores can be very dangerous to newborns, if mum gets her very FIRST cold sore late in pregnancy or early days after birth, because baby has not had chance to build antibodies.
But at 22 weeks u don't think there's be reason for concern, however it's something if mention to your mw or doctor

Thanks for your reply , I hope your right , so many contradicting things on Google . I think I'll talk to my gp on Monday just to be safe .

I get cold sores and had an outbreak with my first in my second trimester. I mentioned it to my doctor and she told me that it wasn't much of a concern. Only concern would be if it was on your genitals as you'd have to be screened more carefully. I have a friend who has genital herpes and was still able to have a vaginal birth.

It's only dangerous if you kiss a new baby.
I've been plagued with coldsores this time. I've had 4 in the past of about 6 weeks. (3 seprate occasions_

I get them when I get dehydrated, have lack of sleep, or if I'm extremely stressed. No issues unless you kiss a newborn baby with one or if they're on your lady bits! Definitely still bring it up with your doctor if it's a concern, there are no questions they haven't gotten before.

Best advice on healing? Coconut oil, it works the best for me. I keep them hydrated until they burst (gross, I know) then I let them dry out completely before lightly moisturizing to prevent massive peeling. I hope yours goes away quickly! They're more embarrassing than anything! :hugs:

I'm sorry I don't meant to be pedantic but the previous posters are wrong.
It IS dangerous on the lips, it's a different vitus to genital herpes and it can be passed on without kissing as the skin can shed, or be passed on via hands if touched.
Now I'm not saying this to scare monger, but this lady is a personal friend of mine and has made a lot of effort to spread awareness.
In your case o think your baby should be fine as the cold sore will be long gone by time baby arrives, and if you get another then you should have built immunity and transferred to baby.
But please read, please be aware, please spread the information.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...over-danger-common-cold-sore-virus-late-.html

I'm sorry I don't meant to be pedantic but the previous posters are wrong.
It IS dangerous on the lips, it's a different vitus to genital herpes and it can be passed on without kissing as the skin can shed, or be passed on via hands if touched.
Now I'm not saying this to scare monger, but this lady is a personal friend of mine and has made a lot of effort to spread awareness.
In your case o think your baby should be fine as the cold sore will be long gone by time baby arrives, and if you get another then you should have built immunity and transferred to baby.
But please read, please be aware, please spread the information.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/...over-danger-common-cold-sore-virus-late-.html

as i said if you kiss a newborn. its not dangerous in pregnancy, ive had plenty of them over my pregnancies.

If you reAd the article you will know they can be passed on without kissing.
You would also know that a first cold sore in the late stages of pregnancy IS the worst possible time to get a cold sore. The fact that you've had 'plenty of them over your pregnancies' means that your bAby has antibodies and is not at risk.
Perhaps read in future.

Lora's exactly right, it does not need a kiss but your first cold sore in the last few days of pregnancy or when baby is tiny is dangerous and then medical advice needs to be sought. It is extremely rare for a bad thing to happen but the risk is there none the less!

You would also know that a first cold sore in the late stages of pregnancy IS the worst possible time to get a cold sore. The fact that you've had 'plenty of them over your pregnancies' means that your bAby has antibodies and is not at risk.
Perhaps read in future.

While I'm all for you sharing the article and spreading awareness, there was absolutely NO NEED for your rude and sarcastic tone.

Perhaps read in future.

While I'm all for you sharing the article and spreading awareness, there was absolutely NO NEED for your rude and sarcastic tone.

Trust me, there was nothing sarcastic about it.

If you call being rude replying to someone being oppositional even after id posted a link with the facts, when she clearly hadn't read it then I'll take that.

There was just no reason to be downright hostile, I get that this is something you feel strongly about and that you had posted the article about. I get that. I'm not trying to demean you or get you riled up. It was just unneeded hostility that does nothing to help the OP.

I'm not riled up, I'm not actually bothered about your opinion of me.
Nor was I hostile, but I'm glad you got that off your chest and hope you sleep much better for it.

That's no bother. It's been my pleasure.

Ladies it's probably better if you just move on from this.

Eleanor as a Mummy who had stillbirths, I made friends with a lot of other ladies who've had stillbirth or neonatal losses, in amongst them were two ladies whose babies grew their wings (I just want to reiterate to the OP and anyone else reading this, it is absolutely NOT something that will affect your baby if you've had previous cold sores or if this is your first one but it is not nearing the end of your pregnancy or baby is newborn) because of this. If their mums had known the dangers and if medical professionals were clued up then their babies may be here now. That's why it is vital that the correct information is given out as it literally can save lives especially since health care professionals don't know because it's rare!

And I understand that. I didn't appreciate the hostility and blatant rude attitude that was being thrown around. I understand that it had to have been frustrating, however, there are just better ways to go about getting a point across instead of being vicious and venomous.

I know I am no better for my "unpleasant" comment and I do apologize for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->