Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

I'm still really struggling to find a donor. We had one in Gloucester, but worked a 2-10 shift and couldn't work out a convenient time for both of us. Then we moved to Herefordshire and there doesn't appear to be any donors within an hours travelling distance...so I guess it depends on where you live. I can't afford to join a pay site, so am limited to the free ones...I found my Gloucester donor on Tadopole forum, but that's down for maintenance at the moment.

Try looking on Pollen Tree (completely free), or there is also Pride Angel (no subscription fee but you pay to send messages.

I do think it's worth using a pay site however as they are better moderated and run.

a question for uk ladies

did you tell your midwife about using a donor?

what was her reaction?

i'm probably stressing over nothing but i've got my first appointment next week and am nervous about telling her:blush:

My doctor knows we are TTC with a donor at the moment and is great about it. He had a look at the donor's medical records and STD results and advised me on all the questions I had.

He also arranged for fertility and general health testing for Colleen before going ahead and prescribed folic acid.

I don't think they will bat an eyelid to be honest.

I didn't tell my midwife. I just told her i was no longer with the father. I thought she would think i was mad (i'm still fairly young and i'm also doing this as a single parent).

i'm a single parent also. i think people have kind of got used to lesbian women using donors but it's still abit taboo for a single straight woman to do it. hopefully we'll change that!

maybe i should just come out with it. she can't break my confidence and if i get disapproving vibes from her i could just change midwives.

i don't want it to be a big family secret like it's something to be ashamed of, at the same time i don't want to shout it from the rooftops iyswim.

by the time i've explained to my 6yr old how the baby got in my tummy i'm sure the whole world will have an indepth desrciption of mummy and her sperm!:rofl:

im single and straight too. honestly no one has said anything bad, i ve had nothing but good on you's. i started ttc this way when i was 27 so not exactly over the hill.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be back here. Not quite yet....but it popped up on my "subscribed threads."
I'm happy to know I CAN conceive. I'm terribly sad to have lost my baby at 11 weeks, but this fact is a silver lining. With all the problems I had, I wasn't sure it would ever happen. I actually had spoken with my donor verifying that he'd be willing to help if I needed to go forward with IVF or IUI.

Anyway, I'll be back eventually. This has been devastating, but I'll be ready to move forward some time.
In the meantime, I wish you all the best of luck with conceiving and pregnancies. <3

I guess I just don't get why people judge if you use a sperm donor. As long as the baby has a loving parent that is all that matters.

I've always told mine and never had a bad reaction. Yeah they ask alot of questions but so what! This time is diff tho cus Im single now but that doesnt bother me either, I had to lose 6 to get this one, so god love them if they have any negative comments!

hey ladies sorry i havent been here in a littlebit but i'm in the 2ww and was trying not to stress...so if this month is a BFN i'll know by this weekend and AF should arrive this weekend or monday at the latest....i'm not having any symptoms so i have no idea if it worked or not....if this cycle is a bfn we will be stopping AI for a while as we may be doing an IVF study with our fertility doc...waiting to see if my labs qualified me or not....so either way i'm trying to stay positive for the future!
another great site is FSDR free sperm donor registry and they are the old yahoo sperm group and i love going there...it's free to join and u can chat with members too...i've met alot of great people on there and recommend several shipping donors.
good luck to all and i'll let ya know if it's a bfp or bfn!!!
oh and WELCOME to the new members:) :) :)

I didn't tell my midwife. I just told her i was no longer with the father. I thought she would think i was mad (i'm still fairly young and i'm also doing this as a single parent).

don't think age has anything to do with parenting. If nothing else, it shows your commitment to the children.

And btw, just saw you are having twins... congrats!!!

Unfortunately, I'm going to be back here. Not quite yet....but it popped up on my "subscribed threads."
I'm happy to know I CAN conceive. I'm terribly sad to have lost my baby at 11 weeks, but this fact is a silver lining. With all the problems I had, I wasn't sure it would ever happen. I actually had spoken with my donor verifying that he'd be willing to help if I needed to go forward with IVF or IUI.

Anyway, I'll be back eventually. This has been devastating, but I'll be ready to move forward some time.
In the meantime, I wish you all the best of luck with conceiving and pregnancies. <3

:hugs::hugs: I'm very sorry KC xx

Hi ladies, hope everyone's getting through their two week waits without too much mental torture :haha:

I was just wondering if this makes any sort of sense to you:

"Basically, if the swimmers were to be injected after the egg had already dropped (i.e. during ovulation), they would take a few hours to get where they need to be. By that point, the egg will have lost it's good quality and may even have died off, therefore conception not possible. It could even result in an "abnormal" conception, meaning something could go wrong with the baby, although I don't think that has been proved.

But if the swimmers were injected the day before ovulation, they will have gotten to the right place just in time for the egg to drop, therefore fertilisation can take place!"

I've heard of this kind of thing before, but I've never known if there was any truth to it. It sort of makes sense to me anyway... xx

OK, so Coach and I were "playing around" last night and even though it's not my fertile period, we thought what the heck. Without going into detail and crossing that TMI line, Coach basically did his business all over my hand. So I took what I could and put it in a softcup, then put the softcup in. There's probably little chance I could get preggo from this but it gave me a thought. Can sperm survive from hand-to-cup-to-cervix? I know it sounds weird but have any of you ever done this in a pinch? :blush: God, the things you wonder about when you're TTC!!!

First time using Soy-Iso this cycle.. I'm now on CD-5 and just purchased the Soy. Only 1 store in the whole region selling it and quite pricey. But, I think I need every boost I could get. Also, I want to bring my O earlier as last months CD-36 was just crazy!!

Planning to take the ff dosage: 50, 100, 150, 200, 200... Is this good enough??

Hope this will be my lucky cycle.

Thank you Ladies, for all your well wishes. It is with great saddness however, that we have to say, Baby Dylan/Dylynn, did not survive the first trimester. I have been gone for a while, just recovering, thinking, praying, and now hoping. We have decided to get back on this journey in search of our 2012 Baby!

We were told that this often happens and it is from nothing that we had done or not done, just chromosome issues, and timing. I had my follow up after the procedure and the docs don't see a reason that we cannot begin to try again. So, in 2 weeks, they will check my HCG blood work and we will have the ok. If this continues to go well, we will begin in mid-August, prior to my wife's birthday. This was one of the hardest things thata we have had to do, but we are in agreeance and although we are still saddened, we are ready! I am delighted to be back and read about all the ladies that have been rather helpful and most supportive. Thank you!

:dust: to us all! :hugs:

Hi girls,

I have a question. My DH has a low sperm count so we have been trying out an artificial insemination kit using his sperm. The kit has the speculum, syringe and the long thin plastic needle you use to insert the :spermy:. So my question is when you girls insert the sperm do you insert it deep inside of the vagina, or do you try to insert it into the cervix? Any tips on this process would be helpful, especially from you ladies that got BFP's from doing artificial insemination at home. Thanks in advance for your help!! :flower:

you shouldnt try to insert through the cervix as you could cause damage and infection, thats something that should be left to the professionals. good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->