Considering at-home insemination with donor sperm...?

Firechild, where did you find your donor from?

I think we're going to try one more time with the current donor and then after a couple of month break may switch donors to hope for better luck.

Our donor is a guy I grew up with. My husband and him have been friends for a few years. DH and I had been researching best possible options for around three years. DH brought up the idea of using a donor, I was opposed at first, and a little angry. DH has 2 children from a previous marriage, and got a vasectomy.
We discussed donors for a very long time and DH understands that I feel if we use a donor the child should have the option of meeting the person. This was our biggest conflict. He wanted it to be a stranger who has no part in the child's life and I wanted someone who the child would have the option to know.
Our donor knew me when I was pregnant before (I went into premature labor and she died after a few hours), and has seen much of my struggle and desire to be a mother. He and my husband had several conversations and he offered to be a donor (after he discussed it with his girl-friend). DH and I spent a few weeks discussing and decided that as long as we were all very clear on what the roles will be, that this was a great idea. Donor will play the same role to child that he plays with DH's children-- he's like an uncle.
Our donor is also a wonderful person- full of love and compassion, willing to do anything to help us acheive our goal of a family, he's intelligent and attractive, he contains many qualities similar to my husband and has a good family medical history.
We have considered the idea of a back-up, but we just aren't ready to jump into all that searching and screening- how do you know if the online donors are being honest about medical histories?
How long have you been using your current donor? Has he had a SA done?

Thanks Firechild.

I'm so sorry to hear of your previous loss. Heartbreaking.

My husband and I are in such a similar situation. He also has 2 children (nearly grown now!) from his previous marriage. He underwent 2 reversals which both failed.

Choosing a donor is tough. We met all our donors online. We've used 3 to date. Our first donor helped us conceive my daughter. He was fantastic - really nice guy, super helpful. He lives really far away now and hasn't had much success in the past with shipping.

Then we tried a donor for one cycle who seemed okay at first and then turned weird and wanted more and more money. i.e. "please reimburse me for my time."

Our current donor we met in June and liked a lot. We're moving into cycle #3 now.

He's had a SA done which looked fine (good counts, reasonable motility), but he's a new donor so doesn't have a track record of successful pregnancies.

I also feel strongly about my kids having the option to meet their biological fathers. I wouldn't mind it being a friend, but we didn't have any friends who wanted to be donors. I'm open to our current donor having periodic contact but technically that isn't part of our contract because I want it to be at our discretion.

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks Firechild.

I'm so sorry to hear of your previous loss. Heartbreaking.

My husband and I are in such a similar situation. He also has 2 children (nearly grown now!) from his previous marriage. He underwent 2 reversals which both failed.

Choosing a donor is tough. We met all our donors online. We've used 3 to date. Our first donor helped us conceive my daughter. He was fantastic - really nice guy, super helpful. He lives really far away now and hasn't had much success in the past with shipping.

Then we tried a donor for one cycle who seemed okay at first and then turned weird and wanted more and more money. i.e. "please reimburse me for my time."

Our current donor we met in June and liked a lot. We're moving into cycle #3 now.

He's had a SA done which looked fine (good counts, reasonable motility), but he's a new donor so doesn't have a track record of successful pregnancies.

I also feel strongly about my kids having the option to meet their biological fathers. I wouldn't mind it being a friend, but we didn't have any friends who wanted to be donors. I'm open to our current donor having periodic contact but technically that isn't part of our contract because I want it to be at our discretion.

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking?

I am 28. DH is 32. You?

We are supposed to begin inseminations today, but the collection cups have not arrived in the mail. My digital opks have not arrived either. I used the tracking numbers to track the packages and both say that they have been delivered. I am going to call the post office today, but I don't know what we will do if I can not get the cups today. We can manage without the opks for one month.
I have been so emotional the last week. The last two I have been horrible, mostly trying to fight tears. I'm not sure if it is continually failing to acheive success at this process or if it's wacked out hormones from the Clomid. I see that things are really getting to DH too. He's been more withdrawn and moody himself. I think it may be good for us to take a month or two off after this cycle in order to reconnect.

I'm so sorry, Laura. Well, lets be cycle buddies again this month.

Firechild, Can you go to RiteAid or CVS and buy some softcups? I'm pretty sure my local RiteAid carries them here in Maryland.

I hear you on the moodiness too. Hang in there this month and then you can see where you are for next. That's our plan as well.

Well my AF showed up today, Finally!

So im now officially in the TTC game :)

x

Sorry for all you ladies that AF got.

We are 5 dpo around here. Last night DW and I had a friend and her newborn son over. It was so awesome sitting there with that little guy. We decided he was gonna be good juju and kick conception in to high drive in the Mrs' uterus.:haha: It was pretty cool. I worried for a minute that I may be a bit jealous.:blush: He wasn't planned. His dad isn't around. We are trying soooo hard. But it never happened. :shrug: I just enjoyed all of his little faces and how peaceful it is to have a little man dozin on top of your chest. Watching his mom light up every time she talked about him. :cloud9: It was great times and hopefully great luck. :coffee:

Sorry for all you ladies that AF got.

We are 5 dpo around here. Last night DW and I had a friend and her newborn son over. It was so awesome sitting there with that little guy. We decided he was gonna be good juju and kick conception in to high drive in the Mrs' uterus.:haha: It was pretty cool. I worried for a minute that I may be a bit jealous.:blush: He wasn't planned. His dad isn't around. We are trying soooo hard. But it never happened. :shrug: I just enjoyed all of his little faces and how peaceful it is to have a little man dozin on top of your chest. Watching his mom light up every time she talked about him. :cloud9: It was great times and hopefully great luck. :coffee:

Good luck! I've been skyping with my sister and my nephew the last few days. He's 4 months old, and such a happy boy. It's very heartwarming.

We start inseminations tonight--probably like 11p. Picked up some softcups, hopefully it works out. I have not been very successful with softcups in the past. The do not seem to fit properly for me. I have practiced and practiced but it's just not quite right.
We did get 20ml syringes for this time (little scary). DH didn't feel that the other ones were long enough.
I really hope it works this time! I pray so hard each and every cycle. It doesn't help that clomid has side effects after you ovulate that are just like pregnancy symptoms. Increases progesterone so it makes you horribly fatigued and bbs hurt and swell. It's kind of a psych out in the 2ww.
Wish us luck! Really thinking this is last cycle for a few months. DH told me today to go ahead and schedule IUI for February.

Hey Ladies..Its my first month ttc and I'm at the ttw..I am going insane! I (of course) pick out symptoms left and right but refuse to mention it to my OH because she'll get so excited..I want to be positive but after reading these boards I know the odds are not in my favor for the first time.I used OPKS, Softcups, and Preseed. I'm soo happy to be joining you guys.

Don't sell yourself short mommacait1. A lot of people have been successful their first time! I have been researching and tracking ovulation for 6 mos. before we started this process. We just finished our insem. last week and I am now 5 dpo....the 2 ww is horrendous lol. I just keep thinking positive thoughts, hoping for the best and not paying attention to the little "symptoms" I'm experiencing lol....the twingy cramps on my right side and some on my left, the change in CM, the nausea, the constant full/heavy feeling in my lower in my belly. Ugh. The mind can play horrible tricks on you. I swear the second I had "fertile" spermies inside of me I just believed I had to be pregnant but I'm not one to get my hopes up. Still my fingers are crossed, and I'm relaxing and staying as stress free as possible. FX for you and lotsa baby dust your way. Glad to have someone else in the dreaded 2 ww with me...welcome aboard!

It's so hard to not pay attention to them..that full feeling in my lower stomach..driving me crazy..but of course this is all that is on my mind.. this is the longest two weeks of my life.. that's how I felt as soon as the swimmers hit I just KNEW I was pregnant..haha. of course I can't stop POAS either..hopefully this works out the first time..if not I hope I gain some patience! I'm glad someone else is sitting going crazy with me as well.

I got that 'full' feeling in my lower stomach on all of mine, Thats how i know that im pregnant

Good luck!!

x

Hi Ladies :wave:

How you holding up in the wait LEAH?

Welcome :wave: BABYLOVE and MAMACITA! Hang in there, your BFP is near!!:dust:

FIRECHILD Good Luck with this week's donations!!!:dust:

:hugs: Sorry AF flew in on you NIMYRA, LAYLA, and LAURA! Come on next cycle!!!!:dust:

NIMYRA

:wave: Hi MrsMM

I am holding up well. DW and I are gearing up for the holiday and planning my trip to see my Sister and BIL in Ohio. I leave on Dec 3rd and get to spend a week baking and spoiling my family so that is almost more consuming than the wait is. LOL! Trying to just stay positive and hoping for the best. DW has her progesterone test tomorrow and that's about it until testing time. The 2ww doesn't make me quite as nanners as it used to. Honestly I think at this point, I would find a BFP shocking. LOL! We are so used to the routine of TTC that ACTUALLY getting that 2nd line will knock us for a loop I'm sure. :haha:

My partner and I are trying for the fourth time as soon as possible using at home insem however funding is getting tight and unfortunately our known donor (family friend) is no long an option. So I was wondering if anyone on here has used or knows somebody who has used the sperm donors worldwide website to find free donors? If so, what was your experience like?

Welcome Lissa,

I know some women who used to be on this thread used that site. I've used KnownDonorRegistry which success - it is slightly smaller I think but free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->