Counterfeit money meltdown

Gnomer

Expecting number 2!
Reaction score
I've just had the most horrendous experience of my life, and I need to vent.

I went to the local shop to buy bread, milk and other essentials. I had a £20 note in my pocket. It's a bit battered, as money gets eventually, but just creases no rips or tears or anything.
The shop keeper felt it, rubbed it against a piece of paper and said 'this is fake' then ripped it in two and appeared to bin it.

I said I'd go home and get a different one, a bit dishevelled and upset at losing £20 but trusted that it was fake.

Went into the wallet that contains money I took out of the bank on Friday. Totally different batch of money. 20's where crisper, newer and from a bank, so definitely genuine right?! Wrong. He didn't even look at these ones. Rubbed two on paper, decided they were fake. This time I said I wanted them back, as well as the one he ripped up earlier.

What is this paper rubbing technique? I've worked in a pub, a clothes shop, and as a waitress. We always did an ultraviolet light test. Never ever seen a rub on paper test.

I'm a mess. I can't get milk or bread for the morning. I'm terrified of using this money now anywhere else, and the next nearest open shop is a 45 minute walk away. And there were people in the shop having a right laugh at the pregnant woman who couldn't get rid of her fake money. I got called a 'fucking gypsy basterd' on my way out. I just walked home having a quiet cry and telling my little boy we're gets lots of chocolate tomorrow instead.

TBH I would call the police (not 999 - but community number) and tell them what's happened. There is no paper rub technique... You use a pen to see if they are legit. That's intimidation and wrong. If the money is fake you need to know so you can change it at the bank. xx

I'm so rattled by it. I shouldn't have gone back the second time. I realise now he must have been having a good laugh about it with people in the shop before I went back in. I am glad I took the 20's back off him though. That would have been £60 gone.

It's even got me questioning my appearance and behaviour. I must look shifty, like someone who would be trying to get rid of fake money. Gah.
I'll go to the bank with the money, and the rest of the money I withdrew, tomorrow. If it's real, I'll ring the local police and report it.

This is disgusting! I've also never heard of a paper rub technique, i worked in a shop and we used a pen, light or held it upto the light.. you do realise he probably kept the ripped £20 and it was real. he can go to the bank and swap it for another one x

I own convenience stores about 20 min from you I would be disgusted if my staff spoke to any one like that. We do rip notes as told to but only once they have been checked and gone black with a pen we don't rip them in half just a small rip.
Was the shop a brand like spar londis ect? I'd complain to them I would also ring your local police to.how awful for you.

This is absolutely horrible andcompletelyuncalled for I'm so sorry you got treated like that. I'm glad you got them back.

Hopefully the bank checks them properly since you go them from there and I they are indeed real I would be filing a complaint and/or making a police report. Rub test my ass.

I made him get the ripped 20 for me. It was in the till, not in the bin where he originally put it.
It's like a small corner shop, covered by a brand though, but he owns and runs it. I can't think of the term.
I'm just embarrassed and ashamed. I felt like a public spectacle. Silly pregnant woman with a toddler. Or an easy target. I just escaped with my tail between my legs feelings mighty emotional. Bloody pregnancy hormones have robbed me of all my fight.

If it's a franchise you can complain they will have a area rep. Def ring the police

There isn't a way to check £20 with paper rubbing. There used to be with £50 notes. But they've bought out ones in April and I don't know if it's the same. But probably not. Pen or uv light only.

Complain to the franchise. He should have used a pen or uv light and not have been so rude at least.

That's disgusting. Ask the bank to double check if there's a paper rubbing method and if they say no then I'd also call the none emergency police number to report the shop.

Did you withdraw it from a cash point? Tell the bank which bank you withdrew it from too.

I hope you get it sorted. I think that guy sounds dodgy.. Especially in how be handled it.

To be honest I wouldn't know the procedure with fake notes as I've worked in retail and never came across anything. But to be fair my jobs haven't enforced us to check all the time.. But I'd pass it to the manage or I'd at least dispose of it without embarrassing the customer and ripping it infront of them.

To be honest I'd be more inclined to tell them to go take it back to where they got it from or the bank because that person could be totally innocent and down on money if I took it away.

That's just so nasty of him!

I am appalled by how they treated you, don't let it be, go to the police. As for what the other person said to you, I am horrified! what sort of people would say such a horrible comment to another person, let alone a pregnant woman with a kid! So sorry hun :hugs:

With the Euro, there is a little strip that you can rub (or run your nail across) to see if the note is real. Not many people know about it - could this be the same with the £20??! Or course you can use an ultraviolet light too!

I'd just flat out call the police, how many people has he tried this one on!?

You are supposed to take a customers details if you suspect and hang onto a counterfeit note, as if you hand it to the police and it is later found to be genuine the customer should be refunded. He clearly had no intention of doing either! This did not happen because of you, it happened because he is foul thieving scum. What kind of evil person takes money from a pregnant woman? And what other vulnerable people has he tried it on with? Makes me so angry. Please phone the police, get your notes checked properly and report him :hugs:

I worked in a currency exchange shop and this is not a correct way of checking money, sounds as if he was going to stick it back together and use it himself. If he actually thought it was fake he should call the police rather than rip it up!!
I personally would call the non emergency police number and explain what happened.
I'd be mortified too! Good job he gave you it back!
I have had people using fake notes and have had to call the police and I wasn't allowed to give them the money back as that was the procedure. That was only because I knew the notes were 100% fake (not just that it felt funny) and as this guy didn't follow any of the procedures it sounds like he is a scam mer!

It sounds like he is operating a scam, telling customers their money is counterfeit and then exchanging the ripped notes at a bank. Even if your note was fake (which I doubt), he had no right to rip it. I think you should inform the police what happened.

The treatment is what bothered me the most. I was humiliated. If he didn't refuse the other two notes after I'd gone home and got more, I wouldn't have questioned the first note and would have left it. His greed got the better of him.
I'm going to ring the local police tomorrow morning. I'm certain these notes are real. The hologram is there, the silver thread is there, it's just a bit creases and well used.

Thanks ladies. I needed a rant. I'm feeling a bit better about it now, it just really threw me. That and pregnancy hormones made me a nervous wreck earlier!

Even the pen isn't overly reliable anymore because at least with US currency, the popular technique is to bleach a small bill and print a large one over top. So UV light is the only real test.

If he's a franchise, you can still complain to the company. Try to find out if he's been doing this to anyone else. He's probably targeting lots in order to pocket the extra money. Enough similar complains will cost him the business. Or here in the US, we have a Better Business Bureau that you can complain to.

I'm so sorry you were treated so horrendously :hugs:

Please don't let this lie, absolute scum of a man!

Keep us updated xx

Geeze all kinds of bad stuff happening to you! I hope you get it all sorted.

What a scumbag. Sounds like he's doing some sort of scam, hun.

Sorry you were treated like that! I'm seething for you!!! xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->