Cousins sharing a birth date.

OmarsMum

Reaction score
SIL gave birth 2 days back on my son's birthday, I held on having a big party for my son's birthday this year as my SIL was due any moment, and as she has no relatives other than me & my mum here I didn't find it convenient to hold a big party if she ends up in the hospital & that what happened.

My son didn't take it easily, she started to get contractions Thursday morning, my mum went with her & I had to pick my boy early from school, we took him out to restaurant for lunch & cake, in the evening I had to go to the hospital and leave DS with his dad.

My son was miserable & he was blaming SIL (who's very close to my boy) for giving birth on his birthday, he told us that it wasn't fair as the baby will take all the attention & he's been waiting 365 days for his birthday.

SIL & my brother were planning to throw my boy party on Friday at my parents' place, but things didn't go as planned. SIL went back home yesterday and our close relatives came to my parents house with gifts for the baby & DS but he was still miserable.

We told him that as your birth date is special your cousin decided to come to the world on the same day to celebrate your birthday.

I feel bad for my niece, she's my brother's 1st child, she deserves the attention but everyone were worried about my son's feelings. He was spoilt with gifts but it didn't make him feel better.

Anyone been through something similar? How do you handle shared birthdays?

He's not jealous of his cousin but he doesn't like the fact that she was born on his birthday.

I think that they cant be helped so try the double special day thing and maybe treat him day before or after for just him xx

Oh dear, that IS a difficult situation, and Omar's reaction is understandable...I can't imagine any kid wanting to share their special day! As he is good at math, I would have calculated the probability of two kids sharing a birthday, and how unlikely and therefore special it is. And that yes, this year with the birth, and perhaps next year, the baby will get more attention than him, but after that, things will be back to normal. I also might plan a special event for his b-day next year, just for big boys...

I would just keep telling him how cool it is that she was born on his birthday. And then each year you work out with your brother/SIL when each kid will have their birthday party so there aren't any clashes. Typically one would have a party the weekend before and one the weekend after.

My DS1 is born at the end of October and there are 4 family birthdays in that same week so we all just talk to each other to make sure we don't clash with party plans.

2 of my children share a birthday- they think it's great- they get excited for each other and it's double the fun (also double the expense unfortunately!)
I'm sure your son will enjoy sharing his birthday with his cousin in the future x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->