Cranberry Pills - Safe?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by yellowbuttons, Jun 3, 2011.

1. yellowbuttons

yellowbuttons Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

I've had an UTI for the last couple of weeks, just came off antibiotics yesterday. Obviously I don't want a repeat, so I cunningly went to Holland and Barrett and got myself some cranberry pills and was just about to take them when I spied on the bottle "Do not take if you are pregnant - speak to your doctor". That spooked me big time!

I was going to ask my GP today but I fell asleep and have now missed the surgery times. Have any of you received any advice re cranberry pills?

Thanks! :flower:

2. Heather9603

Heather9603 Well-Known Member

As far as I know they are safe, but they have to put those things on the label so in case you were to m/c, you can't sue them for causing a m/c because they didn't specify not to take them while pregnant.

Just call your doc and I'm sure you'll be fine. Just keep them at a minimum, only taking one a day :thumbup:

3. yellowbuttons

Thanks Heather :) Their recommended dosage is 2 pills 3 times a day! :o

4. Marlarky

Marlarky Mommy&Expecting!!!!!!!!!!

do u not like cranberry juice?? I hate it but i mix it with water to dilute it nd it isnt so bad then...

5. yellowbuttons

I like cranberry juice but I was thinking I can't keep drinking it the entire pregnancy because of the sugar content. Can't seem to find any with no added sugar at the supermarket.

6. Junebugs

Junebugs Mom to Mason and Maddox

I was in the same boat. I stopped taking them because i saw on the label not to take them when pregnant. Reading around it looks like alot of woman take them with no problems.

7. Mummy of Ange

Mummy of Ange Well-Known Member

I was on cranberry tablets from tesco because I always get uti's (that's how I lost my twins), but when I got BFP on Tuesday my health visitor told me to come off them and drink cranberry and barley water instead x