crappy government

I too think that they should do away with the HIP grant. I don't think they should scrap the SS one but I do think they need to lower the amount. £500 is a lot of money. I don't think it's necessarily a reason as to why people get themselves pregnant. But yes it is a massive inscentive. Maybe it could be done on some sort of means tested basis if anything

It is means tested! But the hip grant isn't. I used to work for the Jobcentre (left in 2003) SSMG was £100 and only available to people on Income Support and JSA.

I am pleased with the changes as I would currenlty be entitled to SSMG as will get the necessary tax credits. I only just found out I can get it, so for ages it wasn;t something I thought about, but knowing I will get this money (after lo is born though) it will certainly help me out :)

Really? I wasn't entitled to any at all and at the time I was living with my ex who was only working as a part time supervisor for functions at a hotel :/

Depends when it was. I don't know when they included people who get tax credits. You have to be getting a certain amount of tax credits to qualify for it.

Jumping in late but I must say I'm a first time prego women in the US when I read previous threads I was extremely jealous some ladies receiving hundreds of dollars FOR WHAT???? I asked and nobody answered me. While here in good ol US of A (sarcasm). We get a onesie n a hat from the hospital n most likely an infection from all the malpractice. It seems when u all were excited over grants, allowance etc. I seen comments like "I'm buyin rockin chair" or "I'm buyin maternity clothes" WOWW the ones who need it save it for food, diapers, formula. Ladies all I'm saying is feel lucky you hve maternity Pay. I work for a lawyer for three years and no pay leave for 16weeks. That's harsh and I don't mind cause whn lil bit is safe in my arms that's the Big picture.

I may get shot down for this, but i dont see why we were getting given the money anyway? I AM one of those who was getting the £500 however why should we get it?? Yes we pay taxes blah blah blah but we get other things like school and health and roads etc for that? Ok so most of us on here would be making sure the money was well spent in the future on something important...however how many of those 18yr olds are just spending all OUR hard earned money on drink and crap?? :shrug: We are so lucky in this country

Jumping in late but I must say I'm a first time prego women in the US when I read previous threads I was extremely jealous some ladies receiving hundreds of dollars FOR WHAT???? I asked and nobody answered me. While here in good ol US of A (sarcasm). We get a onesie n a hat from the hospital n most likely an infection from all the malpractice. It seems when u all were excited over grants, allowance etc. I seen comments like "I'm buyin rockin chair" or "I'm buyin maternity clothes" WOWW the ones who need it save it for food, diapers, formula. Ladies all I'm saying is feel lucky you hve maternity Pay. I work for a lawyer for three years and no pay leave for 16weeks. That's harsh and I don't mind cause whn lil bit is safe in my arms that's the Big picture.

Brilliant point - and I know it's off topic (& I probs will get shot down!!) but alot of us forget how much better we get it in the UK than other countries!! Just watching that Dispatches programme on the Lost girls of South Africa lst night on channel 4 set me off crying (AGAIN!!) and bought me bk down to earth when I was moaning at OH because we couldn't afford a week away this yr!! :shrug: Again, I know it's alot of ''if it doesn't affect me I'm not bothered'' but we are all very lucky in this country IMO! :flower:

I don't think there is much of an answer to that :)

No matter how much we (living in the UK) slag it off, we are so much better off than others and we should be thankful for that. I don't think there is anything wrong in having a whinge about how tax cuts etc effect us, but we still need to keep some perspective xx

https://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2009/09/16/Public_spending_160909.pdf
very interesting to see just how much money is spent on child tax credits/benefit/trust fund in relation to other sectors.

I guess its an issue that the government started and only they can finish ( wherever you live ). I see girls living in poverty having mutliple kids while all the fathers live in prison for unpaid child support, but yet the mother has a $200 coat, and $70 sneakers. The government gives them welfare assistance, housing, foodstamps etc. So she can hook herself up. Its sickening they allow this to go on. But let me a 26 yr old graduate in the work field need help on a gas bill out of control from the winter, I get turned down. Yes, we deal with dissapointments CRAPPY GOV. That's life and most of us are either TTC or BFP, let's b thankful and stop all the animosity towards eachother. Who is to blame? None of us . We create life , we are women here us RRRRROOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAARRRR. LOL.

I personally think there are many things they could have looked at before choosing to cut what they are cutting. Don't get me wrong, I always thought it was strange to be given £250 for essentially nothing, but...

They choose to cut university placements, child tax credits, etc, and still spend money on trident? Those are some messed up priorities.

Also, looking back in this thread, I'm totally shocked at some of the comments towards unplanned pregnancy. To those people - I'm glad everything in your lives happens 100% to plan. I'd love to learn your secret, because I know my life never runs so smooth. (I know this part is OT, but I couldn't help but respond. Reading that really boiled my blood.)

As far as I can see whichever party came into government following the election they would be making some unpopular decisions. That's my opinion as a lifelong labour supporter - the last government had little choice in their actions to prevent a longer and deeper recession than we have just had. What does make me mad is that civil servants and ministers have been travelling first class - why? What a waste of money! Child trust fund doesn't really bother me - I feel saving for our baby is our responsibility and will do that irrespective of money from the goverment. In fact I'm already saving each month to make half pay on maternity leave easier. Our baby, our responsibility. Think that's the sentiment we're short on in this country and that's what makes me most mad - people have children and expect the state to support them which is wrong in every sense IMO.

Er, I'm one of those 18 year olds and I wouldn't spend it on crap.

You know what I'm sick and fucking tired of all the bashing towards young people/benefits/unplanned pregnancies.

Get a grip and stop being so bloody stuck up. It may be YOUR daughter one day.

:roll:

Who is bashing 18 yr olds?? I missed that?? If you think i meant that by 18 yr olds i'm only 21 with two children :rofl: I was 19 when on here with Tabs?? I was meaning when the children reach 18 and get the money.. most of us mums on here would ensure that its spent on something essential or needed but others would be just drinking it away. :)

Why? I havent seen much argueing going on?? Thought everyone had been quite good TBH

I personally think there are many things they could have looked at before choosing to cut what they are cutting. Don't get me wrong, I always thought it was strange to be given £250 for essentially nothing, but...

They choose to cut university placements, child tax credits, etc, and still spend money on trident? Those are some messed up priorities.

Also, looking back in this thread, I'm totally shocked at some of the comments towards unplanned pregnancy. To those people - I'm glad everything in your lives happens 100% to plan. I'd love to learn your secret, because I know my life never runs so smooth. (I know this part is OT, but I couldn't help but respond. Reading that really boiled my blood.)

Things do not always go to plan & run smoothly. But the point is if you fall pregnant unexpectedly - why should the government pay for your unexpected pregnancy? Life is hard & people should just get on with it without making out they are so hard done by. Ultimately expected or not, if you continue with your pregnancy then your baby is planned (I'm not talking about you personally here :flower:). So you should be willing & capable to look after it.

Sorry, if that sounds harsh or annoys people. But I don't see the world through rose tinted glasses - I am realistic.
If I cannot afford something, then I can't have it - what is hard to understand about that :wacko:

NOTE: I am NOT for one second tarring everyone with the same brush, peoples circumstances change, i.e. unemployment & it is those people that I feel for & truely believe deserve the help of the government.

I asked in a earlier post but funny enough noone answered so i'll try again lol

I would LOVE to know what areas people deem as 'ok' to have cuts in and save as much as cutting the CTF would save? .... guess this is aimed at those so dead against the CTF being stopped,

Only read bit of this topic as its so long ...can't believe some of the replies from people!

*shakes head* Ladies ladies is there any need... this topic is about CTF not birth control!

So much different to the same topic in general, which has managed to stay polite and friendly

I got pregnant unexpectedly. I was on the pill and had always been careful but it still happens and I was unluckly. I am 32 and married and we are dealing with it ourselves. We are lucky in that we can afford to buy what we need for our baby and don't qualify for the grant. I have sent off for the HIP grant although I don't particulary need it. I feel that my husband and I have paid our taxes for years and if everyone else is entitled to it then so am I.

I have read threads on here and have also spoken to people in real life that have not spent the HIP grant or surestart maternity grant on what they are meant for. Babies do not need designer clothes and neither do their parents.

I do not expect anyone else to buy things for my child or contribute to savings for them especially not the govnernment and taxpayers. I have chosen to go ahead with this pregnancy and we will provide what we can for our child. If family do want to help or buy things then of course that is lovely and we will be very grateful but we do not expect it from anyone.

I appreciate that some people are on very low incomes and do rely on these grants to get essential items for their babies. Our parents never had them and survived. I do think that there are some people that want the latest things and will not spend the grants on what they are intended for. They should be means tested and those that really need help should get it. I also think that it might be better to have some kind of voucher scheme so that people use the money for what it is meant for. You can give someone £500 and they might buy a new TV but nothing for the baby. A voucher scheme with a shop like Mothercare might work quite well.

I don't think we should bash the government just yet. We need to give them a chance and see how they do. The country is in a lot of debt and whoever was in power would have to be making cuts. They might be to different areas but there would still be cuts. On this forum we are all pregnant or have young children so are concerned about cuts to the child trust fund and the sure start grants. Other people will be concerned about cuts in other areas such as education or the NHS. Personally I think that cutting the CTF is a good idea and I also think they should cut the HIP grant too. I would rather see this country out of debt and for there to be a good education system and NHS for my childs future. I think the long term gains are better than having £250 to save for my child.

Only read bit of this topic as its so long ...can't believe some of the replies from people!

*shakes head* Ladies ladies is there any need... this topic is about CTF not birth control!

So much different to the same topic in general, which has managed to stay polite and friendly

yes but alot of the people on that one haven't got major hormones flying all over the place, pregnancy is not a good time to have political debates, in fact pregnancy is not a good time for debates full stop :haha:

DirtyKitty that is one of the most narrowminded and offensive comments I have ever read.

Ever heard of an unplanned pregnancy, which some people could be unprepared for?

:roll:

Well no offence but if people learnt how to put a condom on the end of it or used contraception then there wouldnt be any unplanned pregnanies would there?

I'm not being funny but when I last checked, no form of contraception was 100% effective... I find this comment very small minded and ignorant

Actually if used correctly contraception is nearly 100% effective in 99% of cases and that's what I was trained to tell my patients. I'm a Sexual health nurse!

Pft. I got pregnant on the pill. Luckily I had a job and could afford to have a baby. If you have sex, you could get pregnant, end of.

Also, in regards to SS, I too would rather that the Gov struck up some sort of deal with tesco, mothercare, asda, babies r us, boots.. somewhere that would give them a discount and give them vouchers only redeemable for baby/mum to be stuff. People wouldnt be able to abuse it and spend it on nonessential baby stuff and the gov would get more bang for the tax payers buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->