Currently Reading??

Squeezed one more book in this month as I've been in bed most of the day with a nasty bug. Zone One by Colson Whitehead. It's a very literary zombie apocalypse novel, but not my style of writing. I had to go back and re-read sections frequently because the author kept moving in and out of memories and the present. I found it really confusing. Definitely not just a pleasure read - Whitehead is definitely a serious writer. But not my taste.

Squeezed one more book in this month as I've been in bed most of the day with a nasty bug. Zone One by Colson Whitehead. It's a very literary zombie apocalypse novel, but not my style of writing. I had to go back and re-read sections frequently because the author kept moving in and out of memories and the present. I found it really confusing. Definitely not just a pleasure read - Whitehead is definitely a serious writer. But not my taste.

I started that and just couldn't get into it.

I started that and just couldn't get into it.

I almost gave up on it several times. It's not that I am incapable of reading and appreciating a non-linear work, but I was truly confused numerous times about what the hell the character was talking about all of a sudden. I found Whitehead's sentence structure awkward, as well. It was a lot of work to read and not enough pay-off.

Okay, I have to gush about my current read. I am thoroughly enjoying the non-fiction The Tiger by John Vaillant. I am a Zoo naturalist/environmental educator by profession and have somewhat specialized in big cats over the years, so it would be fair to say that I have a pretty thorough background in tiger conservation. I am SO impressed by the scope of this work. It is not only an extremely exciting read (the incident is about an Amur tiger who takes revenge on some poachers - seeking out and killing!! :shock:), but the author explores the political and human issues around this species' critical endangerment with such sensitivity and fairness. I'm only part way through and am :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: so far. Highly recommended already!

About to start When Christ and His Saints Slept by Sharon Kay Penman. It's got 4.5 stars on amazon.

A.D. 1135. As church bells tolled for the death of England's King Henry I, his barons faced the unwelcome prospect of being ruled by a woman: Henry's beautiful daughter Maude, Countess of Anjou. But before Maude could claim her throne, her cousin Stephen seized it. In their long and bitter struggle, all of England bled and burned.

Even though i really wanted to, as i think she's a great comedian, I didn't enjoy A tiny bit Marvellous by Dawn French

Now reading and enjoying so far - Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult

x

Rereading The Woman in Black by Susan Hill, so i can sit and point out everything thats been changed in the film. Although it does look good.

Even though i really wanted to, as i think she's a great comedian, I didn't enjoy A tiny bit Marvellous by Dawn French

Now reading and enjoying so far - Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult

x

I still haven't finished dawn French - lost interest assumed it was because it was my first audio book I've bought ...... Now I'm not so sure

Listening to Life Of Pi and reading Forest Laird by Jack Whyte. Both books are really good so far!

I LOVE Life of Pi!!!!
I teach a class on it for high school students through our Zoo!

Just found this thread and I'm now super excited lol :happydance: I gave my kindle a little nourishment the other day and went crazy on Amazon. I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and it's fab!!!

Just found this thread and I'm now super excited lol :happydance: I gave my kindle a little nourishment the other day and went crazy on Amazon. I'm reading A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and it's fab!!!

ooh that's a great read, enjoy - have you read the kite runner by same author - also v g read..... ! i love this thread too :thumbup:

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->