Dairy free moms

Anyone know of an ice cream that I can eat? And if so what brand and where do I buy it (US)??? And is "lactose free" what I would look for? or does it need to say dairy free?

Are you still eating lactose free foods? It isn't the lactose but the Cow milk proteins that is the allergens. There is lactose in human milk and ingested lactose doesn't generally cross over. Soy can be an issue too. So almond milk, rice milk, or coconut milk are generally ok. If you have been drinking Lactaid or something similar that might be why you have had no improvements. So dairy free is what you should look for. I have had good results with avoiding obvious sources, the hidden dairy is ok. But each baby is different of course!

As for the ice cream, I found a brand made with coconut milk if you don't mind the flavor called So Delicious. Haagendaas makes sorbets that are dairy free in various flavors. Silk makes a soy based ice cream. And tofutti makes some awesome little ice cream bars that taste like chocolate covered cherries. I had a huge craving for ice cream and bought all of those but the soy one to try. The coconut milk one was the only one I didn't care for because of the chunks of coconut. I am guessing the chocolate or vanilla wouldn't have that. I found them all but the haagendaas by the vegan freezer section at Jewel. The sorbet was by the ice cream. Most sherberts have dairy too so make sure it is a sorbet.

Thre seems to be many of us dairy free mums out there=) I have had to give up dairy an soya as my seven month old is allergic to both it seems. Many GPs and hv's know very littleabout allergies. My baby was very unsettled and had awful reflux,was sick 100 times a day at least and was gassy,screamed like she was in terrible pain and I found it hard to bond as she was so difficult. She fed constantly as it was the only thing that would soothe her,although quite a lot of the time she would scream at the breast. The doctors didn't take me seriously and said it was highly unlikly that she was allergic to dairy. I took matters into my own hands and decided to give up all dairy and soya products....within days she was a different baby,I finally started to bond with her and she stopped being sick and hardly ever cried. I have been dairy and soya free for four months and have tried to introduce it into our diets again,each time within days she goes back to being very sick and unhappy. It is worth it doing this to see my baby happy although I find it so hard restricting my diet as I am already vegeterian...im losing weight :(

Here's a question for you ladies. How have YOU been feeling since cutting dairy? Do you generally feel better or notice a difference in how your body is? I've noticed that I'm losing weight and I know that it's probably mostly due to the fact that all of the things that are bad for me contain milk :p. I've also also noticed that my skin has cleared up and my system is a little bit more regular (sorry if tmi).

I've lost 4 lbs in a week :/ and that's with making bigger portion sizes to try and make up for it.....bums

Do you girls avoid food that says "may contain milk or soya"?

I am guessing the label says this because it has been made in a factory or on a line used for other products that do contain dairy/soya

Also is anyone else dreading Chistmas without being able to tuck into quality street/roses/celebrations etc?

I didn't avoid those things at first but noticed after a long time dairy and soya free my son started having the same type of scary poo after having stuff that said 'may contain traces' so I think he was very sensitive. I myself am very sensitive to soya so avoiding soya containing stuff made sense to me also xx

This may sound a silly question but if there are no other symptoms, baby is gaining well and is happy, is having green poo actually a problem? I cut out dairy for a couple of weeks and her rash intermittently appeared and disappeared so I dont think that's related, but I had some cheese yesterday and her poo has taken on a green tinge once again, so I suspect it's the dairy which did it. The doctors keep telling me not to worry and that green poo is just a sign that she's taking all the nutrients form my milk. So I don't know whether to continue to cut it out or not.

if there are no other symptoms green poo isn't a problem. My son had green poo which smelt awful and had a lot of blood and mucus in it as well as skipping several days between bowel movements in the first few weeks due to dairy xx

Poo confuses me. I've been dairy/soya free for 2 weeks 2 days and LOs poo smells like rotten apples mixed with vinegar........anyone any ideas lol!? Doctor just shrugged.

Hi, this thread has been really helpful - thank you.

I've been dairy free since Friday!!! We have had lots of problems since Sophia was born. She was so unsettled, screaming etc. Finally she was diagnosed with reflux (my diagnoses then backed up by HV after she watched her feeding).

There has been a great improvement since Friday but I'm not sure if it's the medication (renatidine) or going dairy free.

I'm really missing lattes (although I'm gonna get the almond milk and try the hot chocolates as someone suggested!). My favourite snack is peanut butter on oatcakes and my current naughty treat is jammie dodgers (they are in the 'may contain' camp) and Green and Blacks dark chocolate.

Oh also I've bought Twinnings Sunshine Grey tea which is lovely and doesn't need milk.

Here's a question for you ladies. How have YOU been feeling since cutting dairy? Do you generally feel better or notice a difference in how your body is? I've noticed that I'm losing weight and I know that it's probably mostly due to the fact that all of the things that are bad for me contain milk :p. I've also also noticed that my skin has cleared up and my system is a little bit more regular (sorry if tmi).

I dont feel any different! I have been dairy free for 2+ months. Maybe 2 lbs weight loss, still same constipation as always if I dont have enough fiber & water, still getting acne, etc. I think mostly because my diet has gotten worse. The dairy I ate before was cottage cheese, low fat cheese sticks/cheese & crackers, yogurt, skim/2% milk, and maybe sour cream and ice cream once a week. I used to graze/snack through the day. I now dont know what to snack on! Veggies are borning just as a snack, sometimes I add some hummus; fruits are good but again no protein, LO doesnt tolerate nuts well either :dohh: so I usually end up eating junk. The only protein I get is from the one meal I sit down and eat. I am sure I will figure something out but just a struggle getting used pretty much a whole new diet!! Glad it is working well for you Blzgak!

After being dairy free for a few weeks I decided to try eating some dairy again to see if that's really what was causing LOs problems. Later that day LO broke out in spots again and for 2 days after she's back to struggling with wind pains and generally being fussier than usual. Looks like dairy is definitely the culprit. I'm happy that we've managed to solve the problem but not so happy about now having to stick to a dairy free diet.

My LOs problems with dairy were quite severe but he outgrew them completely at 5 months (they peaked at 2-3 months) so even if you do need to cut out dairy completely it shouldn't have to be for long xx

My LOs problems with dairy were quite severe but he outgrew them completely at 5 months (they peaked at 2-3 months) so even if you do need to cut out dairy completely it shouldn't have to be for long xx

I hope it's the same for us. I'm planning on BF until at least a year and hopefully more. Don't know if I could keep up the dairy free diet for so long!

I hope it's the same for us. I'm planning on BF until at least a year and hopefully more. Don't know if I could keep up the dairy free diet for so long!

WSS^^^ LO seemed to be getting worse but since you said it peaked and then got better, maybe he is peaking; and it will get better soon....

I wish I could binge on some pizza & tacos & cold milk and then pump & donate, but I know it is in my system for at the very least a couple days or longer.

I'm craving a galaxy ripple...and a normal chocolate brownie :rofl: We are going out for a special lunch tomorrow, and the only dessert option for me is sorbet! Oh well, all good for the waist line I guess (til I come home and stuff myself with dairy free refrigerator cake :haha:)

My cons wants me to avoid dairy the whole time I am bfing, but my HV who had exactly the same issue with all her kids said she strongly disagreed...as did my GP...they want me to try when Ally is 4.5 months, with hidden dairy....and then see how it goes. My cons originally said that, but I honestly think he forgets what he's said and who he's seen...it took me to reexplain that she was not having allergic reactions, just severe colicy pains.

Oh well, poo sample in tomorrow...and pee (wish us luck with that!) so we can see what the deal is!

Paprika pringles. vegan. asda. £1.
Just wanted to share as it feels like the only 'nice naughty snacky' thing ive had since going dairy free :D :haha:

i just went to cook some lemon and corriander couscous to find out the second ingredient is milk grrrrrrrrrrr

How and WHY?!?! I want to start a 'stop bloody adding milk where it clearly isn't needed' campaign! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->