Dairy free moms

Some squashes and still soft drinks contain a casein based ingredient (from milk) even, its ridiculous! My sister has crohns and dairy is a no-no for her, all the time and her diet has been so restricted for years because of hidden dairy and hidden wheat (many soft drinks also contain wheat based glucose fructose syrup) xx

How and WHY?!?! I want to start a 'stop bloody adding milk where it clearly isn't needed' campaign! :haha:

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!
Salt and vinegar crisps. WHY??????? Nuts. WHY??????????? Diluting juice.....WTF!!!!! Its evil!

Oh well. We had the lunch...starter fine, dessert fine...was assured there was noooo butter in the spiced red cabbage, green vegetables and that this other dish was dairy free.

Well. Not so. The cabbage definitely had butter in it (so left most of it as soon as I twitted) the green veg definitely had a bit on...and another bit, well I couldn't be sure. I am even wondering if the meat had been basted in it.

I ended up leaving most of the cabbage, the green veg as soon as I realised, and giving some bits away,

I know how hard it is for people to know exactly what is in everything...but just say you don't know. Don't say it's fine when it isn't. This has happened to me a good few times now...

So far, all seems ok. Although I don't know if that will last. Hopefully the small amount won't do anything really bad, but who knows?! Argh. So annoyed. So. Very. Annoyed.

Oh well. We had the lunch...starter fine, dessert fine...was assured there was noooo butter in the spiced red cabbage, green vegetables and that this other dish was dairy free.

Well. Not so. The cabbage definitely had butter in it (so left most of it as soon as I twitted) the green veg definitely had a bit on...and another bit, well I couldn't be sure. I am even wondering if the meat had been basted in it.

I ended up leaving most of the cabbage, the green veg as soon as I realised, and giving some bits away,

I know how hard it is for people to know exactly what is in everything...but just say you don't know. Don't say it's fine when it isn't. This has happened to me a good few times now...

So far, all seems ok. Although I don't know if that will last. Hopefully the small amount won't do anything really bad, but who knows?! Argh. So annoyed. So. Very. Annoyed.

:( it couldnt have just been oil and salt? im wishful thinking but maybe....keeping my fingers crossed LO will be ok.....*hugs*:hugs:

No, pretty sure it was butter :( That said, Ally seems fine...don't get it! She was up every two and a half hours, which is unusual, but that was to feed...she's so chirpy this morning. Maybe it was oil and salt...!

If so, I want to rewind and eat it all...was so delish :rofl:

Ladies, can I ask how long it would take for dairy I eat to affect Ally? She was fussy last night...not writhing, but not wanting to go in her cot, and ended up spending most of the night in her bouncer :( I don't want to just assume it is the dairy, as a couple of weeks ago we went through the same thing...and it coincided with a massive feedathon. Which is what we are currently going through again. And she's all smiley and happy now! And was fine all day yesterday. That said, if it is dairy...I'd need to know, too!

I ate the dairy at approx 2pm on Friday, the late night rave started at 11:40 on Saturday night...

Any thoughts?

She's bait farty, too, but guzzled a bit too much air at 4:30 feed. Am confused! Am blaming the blimmin restaurant and my own silly palate for not clueing on immediately!

Please just be feedathon! She's giggling now!

TennisGal it seems to be about 12 hours later that it bother LO for me. Sometimes it just bothers him a bit and passes quick, like I had non-dairy creamer that was soy-based before I knew about the soy intolerance; or eggs before I knew about them; they both seem to pass a little quicker and with less symptoms than dairy does. Glad to hear she is feeling better!

I tried some dairy on Monday at 5pm to see if it affected Cora, she was fine until 10pm Tuesday night when although not writhing in pain she was more windy and unsettled than normal and I couldn't get her settled until 2am. It lasted about 36 hours.

So I don't know for sure it was the dairy but it does sound remarkably similar to your experience.

Ladies- I've discovered a dairy-free chocolate &hazelnut spread in sainsburys free-from section! It's by Anthony worrall-Thompson. I'm so happy, I've been craving nutella on toast! ;) x

She's bait farty, too, but guzzled a bit too much air at 4:30 feed. Am confused! Am blaming the blimmin restaurant and my own silly palate for not clueing on immediately!

Please just be feedathon! She's giggling now!

I hope everything is ok; don't worry. I found with my son that if I accidentally got given a bit of dairy he would have one or two nasty poos and be a bit unsettled for a few hours but be fine after that as it wasn't like a big build up of dairy protein in my system that could cause problems longer term. It doesn't stop when they are on solids though, he is fine with dairy now but kept nicking daddy's salad last night (dressing free but with lots of hard crunchy cabbage in and carrot strips), he was very windy and unsettled and farting all over the place. This morning though he is happy as larry and pretending to be on the phone-which is his latest thing xx

"happy as Larry" that is a new one! I haven't heard yet. LOve the differences in the language. I always wonder where sayings like that come from- who is Larry & why was he so happy?? :shrug:

Summer rain glad ur LO is feeling better!

Lol, I use the phrase 'happy as Larry' all the time! :haha:

Thanks so much, ladies. We've had some green poo this week, but I think she is getting used to the omeprazole, bit snotty and feeding lots In the last couple of days. Great fun taking a sample of green poo in to the consultant :rofl:

Shiv, it does sound v similar!

Kinda OT but I always thought 'happy as Larry' as American but it seems it is of Nz or Aussie origin

https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/as-happy-as-larry.html

Hi, Im new on this thread! Just decided to try to nix dairy from my diet yesterday. LO has had major reflux for weeks and weeks and after being prescribed med #2 and still not working, i thought to try this.

Its hard. Im in US so if there's anyone in US who has food suggestions, im all ears. I just want a huge glass of milk and my damn daily yogurt, or 2. I dont eat much else but dairy. Can't even have snack packs for goodness sake! I am starving.

Also, how long dairy free should I notice less reflux. And how did you all get your baby diagnosed? Mine hasn't be said to have any intolerances but for some reason doubt his pediatrician will go there so im testing it out.

Thanks!

My family doctor (who is also a paediatrician but most aren't in the UK) said a process of elimination is what is best in very young babies; and they usually diagnose on symptoms as opposed to tests as the tests are very innaccurate in young babies xx

It can take up to 3 weeks for Dairy to completely leave your system and therefore LO's system.

I am not sure, but I think if LO has true reflux then it is less likely to be a dairy issue, reflux (I think, and I could be wrong) is due to a immature valve at the top of the stomach so it can't keep milk down as well as it should.

My LO started vomitting after every feed and I mean vomitting up a lot when she was about 10 days old. I thought it might be reflux but I started out by taking her off the breast every few minutes to wind her and use infacol before feeds. I found that if she burped lots then she was MUCH less likely to be sick. Now she is rarely sick, she still possets a little bit sometimes but that is normal. Sorry if I am being obvious!

Has your LO got any other symptoms of milk protein allergy? What are thei poos like? any rashes? bottom wind issues? colic type symptoms? general grumpiness? etc

Yes true reflux is caused by an immature valve but it is true that sometimes dairy proteins can aggravate reflux; hence the recommendation to try eliminating it. Also many babies with true reflux do happen to have CMPI/A although no-one is sure why this is xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->