Dairy free moms

Ok. So I really don't know if LO has dairy intolerance so hard to figure out! He has always puked a ton. Ten wants to constantly eat because puked all up. Icahn hear and feel gurgles through his tummy. His poo is watery and yellow. Has butt rash but not any other. Just normal(I think) baby bumps and a pimple here and there. He doesn't seem too grumpy. But does cry and fuss while puking episodes occur. Sometimes gets very fussy at the breast.....all this coud be reflux too. Only thing about that is we are on our second type of prescription for it with no improvement, so I thought maybe something else was the problem.

I'm on day 3 no dairy. Well, mostly no dairy. Had some chocolate and some oatmeal creme pies which claim to have milk but I doubt it's much as they're pretty fake. He has just been puking today more than ever. I've heard can get worse before better? Or it's because I've not given reflux meds today. I wish this was easy to diagnose. Hard to know what to do.

it is so hard to tell for sure. what I do know is that to tell if dairy free is going to make a difference then you need to be strict with it. If LO does have a milk protein allergy then even a tiny amount of dairy can upset them.
I hope you get it figured out soon x

I made dairy free chocolate cupcakes today. Can't wait to have one tonight!

I'd second what Shiv says, it's well worth cutting out all dairy, as it can be even a small amount that makes a difference. Then, when it is totally out of your system (can take a couple of weeks) you can gauge if you can eat a little, none at all, if there is any improvement etc. Good luck! Weirdly, you get very used to it...!

Shiv, are they good??? Recipe! I've been eating yum banana bread, and experimenting with dairy free Christmas muffins, which are quite nice, too!

Oh well. 3 weeks dairy/soya free. I tried a bit of cheese and had some maltesers as wasn't sure if i'd noticed any difference. Bad idea. Screaming, all day long, coming and going from nowhere, inconsolable, eczema is back, he's frantically rubbing his head off my clothes it must be itchy as hell....
fuck fuck fuck i feel so bad like ive poisoned him >.< how long does some flipping cheese and chocolate take to get out of our systems!?

Oh well. 3 weeks dairy/soya free. I tried a bit of cheese and had some maltesers as wasn't sure if i'd noticed any difference. Bad idea. Screaming, all day long, coming and going from nowhere, inconsolable, eczema is back, he's frantically rubbing his head off my clothes it must be itchy as hell....
fuck fuck fuck i feel so bad like ive poisoned him >.< how long does some flipping cheese and chocolate take to get out of our systems!?

I feel the same way when this happens! I have accidentally had cheese or butter slipped in things and then had to feel like the worst mom ever the next day. It seems like it lasts a day or so with the GI bad symptoms for my LO, maybe some gas the nex day or 2; but the eczema has later since Thanksgiving for my LO (almost 2 weeks) and is finally almost gone. It happens and you just do what you can to make them comfortable until it passes.

I think most women would have given up and switched to FF instead of giving up dairy, it is great you are doing the best you can for your LO! Accidents happen and sometimes you need a little proof that it really was the dairy! I think all of us have trialled some since going dairy free....

Yes, *don't* be hard on yourself! We've all been there! I'm trialling little bits of dairy after Christmas, and I keep changing my mind...as I know I will feel bad if there are bad after effects! I am still not sure if the dairy last week affected Ally or whether it was this everlasting spurt!

As DarlingMe says, most of the people I know in the same dairy position have given up bfing...so you should actually be patting yourself on the back :)

I bet he will be fine in a day or so :hugs:

I substitued almond milk for regular milk & hummus for eggs in my corn bread muffins, turned out pretty good! I read that you can sub pureed veggies or fruit for eggs in most baking recipes. I didnt think the muffins would rise the right way, but there was no problem. And much healthier I am sure!

Ooh, good tip!I've noticed the saturated fat contents of my cakes is waaaay lower, but calories remain the same :haha:

Hello! Tanks for the this everyone. I had no idea that small amount could cause harm. I will be more diligent. I'm afraid I will miss something though.

What is a hidden form of dairy you all can give me a heads up on?

Now, is it all dairy including cheese and yogurt and stuff or just cows milk protein that babies have problem with? Someone told me just the milk so that's what needs to be taken out but not e rest. I'm confused!

Hello! Tanks for the this everyone. I had no idea that small amount could cause harm. I will be more diligent. I'm afraid I will miss something though.

What is a hidden form of dairy you all can give me a heads up on?

Now, is it all dairy including cheese and yogurt and stuff or just cows milk protein that babies have problem with? Someone told me just the milk so that's what needs to be taken out but not e rest. I'm confused!

It depends on your LO! My advice would be to cut out any dairy; milk, yogurt, butter, cheese, ice cream, etc. see if you notice an improvement in a few days, if no improvement, take out anything at all that says DAIRY at all, even some chips & nuts have dairy snuck in :dohh:. After about 2 weeks there should be no dairy in your system & symptoms should be alot better if that is the issue. Depending on how the process went, like if you noticed improvements right awa y your LO may tolerate some dairy.

Be aware that soy & egg intolerance is common with CMPI. Also know that lactose free is not dairy free! It is kind I a trial and error thing, some babies only need less milk on their "diet" others can't handle any.

Hidden Dairy, I found this useful thanks to someone on here, sorry i've forgotten who! :)

https://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/hidden-dairy01.pdf

https://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s301/hiddenmortality/EVILDAIRY.jpg

Did everyone's baby scream or cry colicky when exposed o dairy? Mine never really did
The crying thing. Ony while puking like he didn't like that he was puking.....he would fuss sometimes at the breast but I wouldn't say e has ever had colicky moments.

Also, by me taking dairy away from our diet, let's say he doesnt have intolerance, could I be causing one? If this doesn't all help the puking and I go back to eating it, coud his sstm no longer handle it and then he really becomes intolerant?

I'd say the crying when spitting up is a reflux sign...you could be lucky, fingers crossed, and it just be mild.

Ally's painful spitting up pretty much disappeared with me cutting out dairy. She still spat up, but happily. She now rarely spits since we started, properly, her medication.

I don't think you can cause an intolerance...you could start introducing dairy again when your little one is a bit older, system more mature etc, and see how it goes bit by bit. Hopefully by the time he's ready for cows milk on his own, he will have been exposed to enough via your milk for you to know what the deal is :)

Can't believe I never found this before:
https://www.puredairyfree.co.uk/index.php

Im getting my baking stuff out :happydance: dairyfree cakes here we come!

Also, how can you tell if it's an allergy or just an intolerance when you're BFing????

Oh yes I do all my normal baking but substitute butter for pure sunflower, yum! I just made some rocky road using some 100% choc that I got bought for christmas, golden syrup, pure spread, bourbon biscuits, rice crispies and marshmallow - it is GORGEOUS!!

vitalite is pretty good as well and is completely dairy and soya free, there is a coupon for vitalite off their site which can be found here-it only has another week or so left on it hence them no longer advertising it on the main page of their site

https://www.vitalitedairyfree.co.uk/assets/pdf/vitalitecoupon.pdf

you can print off as many as you like but can only use one per tub xx

I want to make some dairy free cake/cupcakes and am looking for dairy substitutes. The recipe calls for butter so I thought I might use Pure spread. It also needs semi skimmed milk. Anyone have any idea what milk substitutes are good for baking?

I want to make some dairy free cake/cupcakes and am looking for dairy substitutes. The recipe calls for butter so I thought I might use Pure spread. It also needs semi skimmed milk. Anyone have any idea what milk substitutes are good for baking?

Rice milk or Oat milk :)

taste-wise, rice milk is more similar to skimmed milk, oat milk i think is more similar to full-fat milk, it's got more substance to it, hope this helps xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->