Debate: Capital punishment

it was only a passing comment i think its safe to say its been dropped now.

and there has been many debates where it has been friendly, everyone knows we wont all agree but as adults we are supposed to except this, no matter how hard that may be

my grammar is bad cos im dyslexic not that that has anything to do this thread or is any one bussiness!

this will never be a nce debate cos to everyone has a different opionion on things and from what they have read or watched we are never going to agree how can we?? not one of us have ever been on knows what really goes on behind closed doors!

but theres no need for it to turn natsy thats just being childish and not debating!

No one was having a go or bringing up spelling or anything, don't worry.

Rubixcyoob - thats what i meant :)

I wondered if they had a different view to most of us... or if they accepted it without question you know?

*goes to google where its still legal*

LOL, I really wish someone would come and give us insight into a country where it is still legal :)

i agree but this debate has gone way off now its turned in to whats right or wrong of prison not capital punishment?

i dont think someone use of grammer really needs to be bought up.

this thread is about capital punishment and now has gone on to how prisons are run ect, which wont be changed by us all getting "over heated"

even if they do get sky i hope i dont end up in prison, altho i was a big fan of bad girls hahah

Oh I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go about her grammer, I was just a bit confused as to why schools would teach something like that. It was a little tangent I went off on.
Sorry :blush:

cos thats what our teacher let us do didnt affect me as i got A i didnt go to normal school i went to ballet school they werent intrested in what we typed or wrote! :dohh::dohh:

Oh right, that wasn't the issue though so don't worry :)

i dont think someone use of grammer really needs to be bought up.

this thread is about capital punishment and now has gone on to how prisons are run ect, which wont be changed by us all getting "over heated"

even if they do get sky i hope i dont end up in prison, altho i was a big fan of bad girls hahah

Oh I didn't mean to sound like I was having a go about her grammer, I was just a bit confused as to why schools would teach something like that. It was a little tangent I went off on.
Sorry :blush:

i wasnt pointing that at u :)
u were posting that while i was typing, im being slow today lol
i too dont get why someone would be taught grammer that way but oh well

Ahhh that's okay then, I didn't mean it to sound offending if anyone took it that way lol.

It isn't legal in Canada (wasn't sure if you included Canada in 'America'). Just in some parts of the USA. The guy who murdered his daughter last week might be facng the death penalty. He slit his 5 year old's step-daughter's throat because she was 'acting up'. I think they should slit his throat. He is Canadian, but it happened in the USA while on vacation. I hope he does get the death penalty.

This debate was going nicely

So lets keep it on track.

When was capital punishment abloished in the United Kingdom?
xx

the death penalty is legal in my state (nebraska). it is only sentenced to people who commit first degree murder, and the only manner used here is lethal injection. the last person that was executed was robert williams and he killed three people.

lulu... (sorry for onslaught of questions)

does it work as a deterrent in nebraska? obviously, there are some who kill anyway, but are your crime figures lower or??

i have watched the death row programmes too, they spend decades just waiting... that must be the worst bit. waiting for death. whereas over here, our "life" sentences are served in half the time those guys WAIT to die. Insanity!!!

As it was asked for - the countries that still have the death penalty:

Death Penalty Permitted

Afghanistan
Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Bahrain
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belarus
Belize
Botswana
Burundi
Cameroon
Chad
China (People's Republic)
Comoros
Congo (Democratic Republic)
Cuba
Dominica
Egypt
Equatorial Guinea
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Gabon
Ghana
Guatemala
Guinea
Guyana
India
Indonesia
Iran
Iraq
Jamaica
Japan
Jordan
Korea, North
Korea, South
Kuwait
Laos
Lebanon
Lesotho
Libya
Malawi
Malaysia
Mongolia
Nigeria
Oman
Pakistan
Palestinian Authority
Qatar
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
Saudi Arabia
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Somalia
Sudan
Swaziland
Syria
Taiwan
Tajikistan
Tanzania
Thailand
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Arab Emirates
United States
Vietnam
Yemen
Zambia
Zimbabwe

(https://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html)

^^^ actually amazed that there are so many, but none of those surprise me iykwim?

and some of them, there isnt really much point, their legal systems are so corrupt nothing ever gets sentenced anyway. (afghanistan springs to mind!)

Just some food for thought....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derek_Bentley_case

does it work as a deterrent in nebraska? obviously, there are some who kill anyway, but are your crime figures lower or??

i have watched the death row programmes too, they spend decades just waiting... that must be the worst bit. waiting for death. whereas over here, our "life" sentences are served in half the time those guys WAIT to die. Insanity!!!

i would like to think that it acts as a deterrent, at least to prevent premeditated murder. there will be phases during the year where there are shootings everyday for a week :/. and people wonder why i don't agree with the right to bare arms (a whole other debate, for another time.) the crime rates right now are higher than normal because there is a hiring freeze on police and we don't have enough patrol cars. gangs are going crazy in the rough part of town, but not with murders, moreso with petty thefts and drive by shootings with no deaths.

i think it is crazy that "life" over on your side of the world may only be about 11 years! i watched a program about the model that got acid poured over her face and the guy that dreamed up the whole thing was sentenced to "life" but was only expected to serve 16 years? you'd think they would want to keep a monster like that off the street forever!

I watched that show too, bless her, so brave and he was evil :(

Hmm... interesting that your crimes seem to stay down (well the serious) ones because of it. Cant say id want it legalised though regardless as i dont agree, but interesting that there are places where it does work, at least in part.

Why have they stopped hiring police? is it a budget issue or is there a reason behind it? surely its counter productive? (sorry, more questions :lol:)

i said earlier (don't mind repeating myself, in case you missed it.) that i only agree with CP for serial killers/sociopaths that can't be rehabilitated. karla faye tucker comes to mind with someone that has murdered and on death row and has done a complete 180. unfortunately she was executed because george w bush (before he was president) didn't pardon her.

there is a major budget issue going on right now, as well as a long drawn out issue with police retirement benefits. they are trying to overhaul the budget as some retired officers make much much more in retirement than they did as officers. hopefully once they get it all ironed out we can get more officers! i live in a safe part of town luckily.

thanks lulu :)
no i didnt see your other post, they all merged into "i disagree" or "i sortof agree" once id read them all :haha:

gonna read that link now..

i would like to think that it acts as a deterrent, at least to prevent premeditated murder. there will be phases during the year where there are shootings everyday for a week :/. and people wonder why i don't agree with the right to bare arms (a whole other debate, for another time.) the crime rates right now are higher than normal because there is a hiring freeze on police and we don't have enough patrol cars. gangs are going crazy in the rough part of town, but not with murders, moreso with petty thefts and drive by shootings with no deaths.

i think it is crazy that "life" over on your side of the world may only be about 11 years! i watched a program about the model that got acid poured over her face and the guy that dreamed up the whole thing was sentenced to "life" but was only expected to serve 16 years? you'd think they would want to keep a monster like that off the street forever!

I watched that show too...poor lady! She is still pretty tho. Very sad...what a sick f*ck...he def deserves more than 16 years.

Was born and raised throughout the western US - just moved to Vancouver, BC though this year.
The death penalty is legal in 38 states in the US (I believe). Methods become unconstitutional though over time, like the firing squad for instance which is legal in Oklahoma. A prisoner recently chose that method [firing squad] though in Utah because when he was sentenced that was an option and he grandfathered it.
What I think about it generally...
A serial killer is not going to be deterred by the idea of death being a possibility and neither are terrorists out to kill.
A violent gang member is many times uneducated and born into a violent way of life. Telling someone like that you might get the death penalty is like telling a heroin addict to just "quit" because it could kill them. More often then not again, not going to scare them.
Somebody who doesn't plan on using deadly force but ends up doing so didn't plan on killing anyway right? Like in the case of a robbery attempt where the clerk tries to reach for their own weapon and fight or flight happens where someone dies. I am sure in an adrenaline filled moment the suspect isn't saying, "This could get me lethal injection."
Passion killers, they are so deeply distraught and caught in a moment them too - likely to get scared of the death penalty after the fact not before.
For instance. Texas executes more people than any other state and their murder rate per 100,000 people is usually higher than average. Nine of the 10 states with the highest murder rates in the country have the death penalty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->