Decorating advice....

CarlyP

Mum of 2 & baking #3
Reaction score
I have no idea where to start! :shrug:

Our walls aren't very good so some rooms need fully plastering/skimming (same thing?) others just need a touch up, it all needs re-painting/wall paper, needs new skirting boards, coving and windowsills touched up.

I don't know how much plasterers/decorators charge? Roughly each room?

Do I buy everything first or do they get it all?

Any advice is appreciated. I can't do it myself as I have a muscle disease and DH works all day.

How much would depend how big the rooms are and how much work it is like how much stripping etc do ceilings need done too etc and how you want it finished like paint, paper whatever. If I was you I would find a local fb page and ask for recommendations for folk that do the kind of jobs you need. Have a chat with a couple about what you're after and they'll be able to give you a idea of cost. They will be able to get all materials and add the cost to the amount you pay them overall.

Our house is the same but we've only had one room plastered so far, our box room. We stripped off the wallpaper. I think he charged £200 or £300 (it was a while ago) for the walls and ceiling. It's not cheap!!

We're currently renovating our house. We've just had the bathroom ceiling and two of the walls in there plastered and we paid £220 (it's not a big room but it's not tiny) we're budgeting for a lot more for other bigger rooms. Best thing to do is maybe get quotes off a couple of people.
We went with a recommendation, he was a friend of a friend. I like to use people that other people have used are are willing to recommend, if you know what I mean?
They'll get or will already have what they need. Ours even put down dust sheets and everything, I'd got old sheets ready but he brought his own stuff.
We've put in new windowsills and have bought new skirtings/doors to do ourselves and are doing the majority of general decorating ourselves too with the help of friends so not sure how much that would all cost.

Thank you, I will get a few quotes, I told my brother what we're planning and he offered to paint for us so might just be the plastering we need.

Yes think an average room costs about £300, I'm having work saturady just to skim fireplace wall and alcove and thats £150. We have plastered almost all our walls but our house is mega old and massive ... each room has required insulated plaster board which isn't cheap and rooms are 25 feet by 15 sort of size, so large house, average room for plastering and bordering cost me around £1500. I have seen advert for some for whole house plasters for about £1500 so keep an eye out, if your not in a rush get several quotes. I am always in a rush haha and need it done yesterday, hence my plaster doing the chimney walls is coming Saturday so probably paying way more than if I waited for someone.

Painters are much cheaper, usually charge about £80 -£100 a day, I am having a plaster in to do 8 rooms, some massive some smaller, but includes my kitchen units, all glossing, doors, frames, sanding, filling etc etc and is costing £950 ... its the first time to use a painter but I am in a rush.

Most plasterers or this painter have given me an option of getting stuff myself, sometimes I have and sometimes I have just got them too, its easier if they do but ask for receipts.

That's great thanks, my neighbour is a painter but still waiting on his quote, if it's ridiculous then I might ask my brother to do it and just get the plastering done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->