Designer baby clothes your views

I think there is a difference between that chavy needing everything to look expensive to prove something (and normally doing the opposite because it's so ratty and worn out you know they wear it every day) thing and someone (like me) who buys their basics fairly cheaply but splashes out on the odd nice designer thing because well, it's nice. The quality really is better than a supermarket brand. I know a baby won't be in it long but you can sell them on ebay if they're still in good nick and reinvest the money in the next size up. If you look for designer sale stuff and then sell it when it's outgrown, it really isn't too bad. It's cute seeing them all dressed up. I agree though, bragging is just trashy.

My DH and I went into this really posh baby store where we live just to check it out. We heard that they sold rock band onsies, which were extremely expensive. While there they had Betsy Johnson and Juicy Couture baby girl outfits. The prices were ridiculous! We asked the shop owner if people actually bought the stuff and she said she had one customer in particular who was looking for more high end designer stuff. What the??? We have bought Adrian some Calvin Klein, Puma, and Rocawear outfits but they are all from this discount store where we live. I personally cannot fathom spending a ton of money on something they might wear a handfull of times.

I buy what I like. Fin has a few designer bits but I can hand on heart say I'd have bought those same bits if they were in Primark. We get Fin's clothes everywhere. Mostly H&M, Next, Pumpkin Patch & Mothercare but also get them in Supermarkets, Matalan, Primark as well as some Designers @ Debenhams etc.

I would never rule out Designer clothes, same as I'd never rule out cheaper clothes. I like what I like lol.

I'd never judge anyone that only bought Designer... but if they are constantly "name dropping" re the labels I'd think it was a bit silly. Same as I'd never judge anyone who only bought cheaper clothes... but I might think they were a bit silly if they only bought something because it was cheap and they didn't even like it.

Swings and roundabouts and all :) x

^^ WSS

If u have the moneu and want to then no one has the right to judge you, but bragging on FBook etc.is unecessary

it depends i buy for the clothes not who or where makes them

I think its a waste of money, Niamh had some things from the designers at debenhams and from gap but only in the sale.

Erin has stuff from next/asda/tu/tesco/peacocks etc...all lovely stuff, she has a vertbaudet dress I got last week from a charity shop..£1.75! If I like it and its a reasonable price I buy it, I don't really care for the price tags that come wirh the big labels...imo they're extortionate.

Each to their own, I just enjoy being thrifty :)

I know this is off topic, but why has a thread about baby clothes been moved out the baby section? Is discussing baby clothes off the menu in baby club now too??

we had a couple of beautiful pieces bought for our LO by friends, but the problem is, as they were so nice we kept 'saving' them for a special occassion, which ended up leading to her wearing each of the dresses twice before growing out of them! One was well over £100 as well! I shall be keeping them in case i have another little girl, failing that theyre going on ebay!! (I love Next for Ruby so thats where i normally buy her clothes!!)

We mostly buy Max's stuff from Next/Mothercare/Mamas and Papas and Asda/Tesco (I like supermarket chic). I wouldn't judge anyone for buying designer though if they can afford it - each to their own! I would imagine when LO is a bit older we will invest in some bits and pieces but only for special occassions etc.

The one thing OH does spend money on though is football kits! Max has got 2 Liverpool kits and an England kit so far - they are a fricking rip off but he looks cute in them lol!

X

I love a bargain - i was a regular in charity shops. Tescos, Peacocks, Matalan, Tesco are the main ones. And lots of hand me downs. Nothing more depressing than bagging a load of expensive clothes that have been hardly warn but are outgrown.

Daisy wears some designer, some high street :shrug: Not supermarket, just Next, Designers at Debenhams etc. I actually love Juicy and Kate Mack stuff for the baby. And people always comment how nice her clothes are when she wears something designer.
I don't think it's your place to say that it's stupid to buy 'X'.
I can also say none of her clothes are stained with anything, she wears bibs to eat..

I really don't see the point at all. They mess them, they ruin them and they grow out of them! I use charity shops and freecycle - and most of the stuff is still good to pass on after they grow out of it! Whether we could afford it or not, I see it as a waste.

I'm not bothered what any else does with their own money but I wouldn't waste mine on expensive clothes that are only expensive because of a label. My boys have some label clothing, mostly was bought for them. I buy quality clothing that lasts and generally find pumpkin patch among other brands in NZ to go the distance. We got some branded gear while visiting the states but it was on sale and was of relative value of what I would spend on clothes here anyway. For example I got some baby gap jeans for 1.5 and 2 year olds. They were $12. Pumpkin patch jeans are $37 here and I wouldn't spend that but I get them on sale for $17. My boys go through jeans in no time so spending nearly $40 for a month or two or wear is stupid in my book. I get them second hand jeans and tees for play centre as they get paint and clay all over them. I have hand-me-downs and they as long as they are to our taste they wear them. I am always grateful for them as it saves $$ and it's good for the environment to reuse items. I also patch the jeans on the knees as I have seen jeans worn through in a week! I am not forking out $20 a week on jeans for a crawler so they get patched knees as the rest is brand new almost.

I find that cheap people can sometimes masquerade in expensive clothing and having to point out the brands etc lacks a bit of class in my opinion. If you want to spend it, go for it. I do laugh when I see hideous clothing with a designer label on it!! It is still gross even if it cost you a packet and a designer name doesn't make it any less hideous. Just expensive and hideous.

I do love hand knitted stuff too. Mostly as someone has made it with their own hands and time for us. I cherish those things more than labels I ahve to say.

We buy LO designer things, why not? Always have done, just like we buy asda, next mothercare you name it. I dont believe it to be a waste of money at all, they keep alot longer, dont stretch out all weird and the seems stay straight, so imo it actually saves me money in the long run. My lo isnt a messy boy, and if he's eating i either take the clothing off of he wears his full bib top thing? Why would his clothes need to be stained? :dohh: If you can afford to then why not? :wacko: Its the same for my own clothing i buy designer for the exact same reasons!

We have no stained clothes here either. I said when I was pregnant that I would only buy cheap clothes, but after I while I realised I would have to get something pretty rank on them for it not to wash off. Even huge messy poo stains have washed off, surprisingly. And actually, it's the expensive stuff that is more resilient to stains meaning much better resale value.

The only way I judge someone else on spending silly amounts of cash on baby clothes is if they are doing so at the expense of their child's current or future well-being. So, for example, if your kid is decked out in the latest expensive trends, but you are having trouble paying your bills or don't put anything at all away for baby's future... well, it might be time to re-examine your priorities. :shrug:

I max out my sons' registered education savings plans first and go to the baby boutique after I've pulled my bargain baroness moves at the consignment shop or at the sales! :)

I just buy what i like and what i think looks cute on alfie. Be it H&M or Ralph lauren :shrug: doesnt bother me.

<3

Got loads from Primark over the years too - their fleecy sleep suits are great. And I still buy his school socks from there too and fleecy PJs. By the time they have lost their elasticity (re socks) he's grown out of them, so it's win win.

I think there are 'designer clothes' and then there are 'DESIGNER clothes' if you know what I mean! If you go to Debenhams and pick up nice pieces they might cost you double what you'd find on the high street but if you go to Harrods and pick up a Christian Dior baby jacket or some Burberry jeans you'd be looking at much more.. ie £150 jacket, £80 jeans! (Although to be fair I have also seen an infant's leather jacket in All Saints for £150 - madness!)

If I were to spend £150 on a jacket for Oli, not only would that be a waste of money for me but also really stupid and irresponsible seeing as we are living on one income now and £150 is just short of a third of our mortgage payment.

However if we were better off financially, £150 could just be a drop in the ocean to us so then it wouldn't be a waste of money at all.

It's all subjective to your income. I don't think you can generalise and say yes or no, it would be a waste of money to some people but not to others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->