Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

RachA thanks! I googled some of the signs and I think it may be a little hard for her just yet. She doesn't have the understanding either or the fine motor skills.

I think we may be getting put on the waiting list for OT, PT, and speech therapy at a nearby rehabilitation hospital :happydance: That is if our insurance agrees that it's "medically necessary". Omg I hope this works! First Steps is only going to provide a PT :( and she really needs speech and OT as well.

Of course it will be medically necessary, don't panic :hugs:

bumpin great news there's nothing wrong with his ears! It may be he's just taking his own time :hugs:

Nothing going on here, been buying more Christmas gifts. Almost done now!

thanks ladies

Essie, he was seen by early intervention @ 10 months. he was identified then as being delayed, but minor. he's on a Watchlist and the assessor checks in every month or so to talk about his progress. the hearing test was the first thing to look at because communication was the area with the most significant delay. he's really only at the level of a 7 or 8 month old, although in all other areas he's about 12 months.

Hopefully your insurance works out. it sounds so frustrating to have to rely on them for things like this.

You are Christmas shopping already!? Girl you're making me bad, I haven't even thought of Christmas :haha:

I really hope you are right. This hospital has a huge warm pool for therapy and really amazing facilities. Camps for disabled kids and support groups for parents. That would be great for us.

Had a lawyer contact me again today about the hospital where I had DD. She really thinks we have a case for medical malpractice. I don't even know how to come to a decision on this. The medical records are a big fat lie compared to the birth video and they are obviously trying to hide something. I just hate getting involved in legal stuff but it could mean a better life for DD...... honest opinions, what would you ladies do??

Bumpin if they are monitoring him monthly that's a good thing. It's great that you guys are watching him so close. If they don't feel the need for him to have interventions yet that has to be a good thing ;)

Go for it. I'm suing our council because I fell with T at 5 months (over a loose paving stone which they fixed then denied it was even broken). We think this is a possible cause of his delay as he took a bad knock to the head. Well really he slammed the back of his head on concrete.

I've been buying for months :haha: Just need to do other people now.

Omg they fixed it and lied!! That's horrible! I was shocked at the lies in our medical records :nope: Thank God we took video or we wouldn't have any proof at all and they won't volunteer the truth. Do you have to provide a MRI to sue?

Have you been able to get your appointment for the pediatric neurologist yet?

Bumpin after his hearing test they may re do his evaluation. Here the hearing test is the first thing early intervention programs want in their files as well.

No not yet! It's a real pain!

I didn't have to provide anything, just told them what happened then gave them access to mine and T's medical records and it went from there x

Yikes, this thread moves fast! :dohh:

Essie, if there is a possibility to impact the outcome for your DD i.e. compensation which would enable you to provide further support I would definitely consider this - early intervention can make such a difference for longer term prospects :hugs:

I would be surprised if your insurance doesn't agree to OT, ST, PT etc. - surely CP itself would be covered.

My Theo had an MRI to rule out anything neurological because of his delays (standard procedure in private healthcare in South Africa where we were at the time) - low and behold we found out he had delayed myelination - this made a HUGE difference for our ability to claim from our insurance company. We now have 4 sessions a week (fully covered) and are eligible for any in-school support he may need from OH's employer.

Also Essie, wanted to add we started signing around 20 months and introduced it through some fun DVD's (Baby Signing Time - not makaton per se, but very similar). T really took to this, and it kind of laid the foundation - from there it was easier to introduce makaton/ signing in general :thumbup:

Thanks peanut! The nurse that was working on the referrals seemed positive about it but said it may take her a few days. How did your lo do with the MRI?

Sequeena that has got to be frustrating. Any way to get them to hurry up, lol. It took 3.5 months for us to see the neurologist and that seemed like forever.

Essie, I would pursue legal action without question. compensation would mean that she is taken care of four the rest of her life. you wouldn't need to worry about whether your insurance would cover something she would benefit from. it will likely be a long battle, hospitals have great lawyers, but you have video, and they just might choose to settle.

oh, and I believe a referral to a developmental pediatrician is now on the table.

Bumpin: thanks for that. As disheartening as the result of the hearing test is, in respect of hoping that a hearing problem could be the cause of the delay, at least it's something that can be ruled out. We were kind of hoping that Esther was her hearing as at least that was easy to rectify! But it wasn't. Hopefully Gabriel is just taking his time. I know that my son didn't look like he was doing much and then all if a sudden somewhere between 18 & 24 months he improved so quickly.

Essie: re the legal action. It would totally depend on how likely if us that you'd get something out if it. My mum had a very serious car accident 13/14 years ago. It was clearly the other drivers fault as he was driving on the wrong side of the road. It took over 8 years to get the settlement and the amount covered the amount of earnings that both my parents lost as they both had to give up work (my mum still can't work now) and just s small amount more. They are worse off now than they were before really as they can't use the money they got for general living expenses as my mum will more than likely have to go in a home at some point and do the money needs to be there to pay for that.
I've been well and truly put off suing because if my mums experience, and actually other people I know. For the whole time the claim was going on the should family lived and breathed the claim and life didn't really progress.

RachA your familys' experience is exactly what I worry about if I do persue legal action. More than likely it will drag on for years and I'm sure the lawyers' cut will be huge. Depending on the amount of involvement needed from us it could get quite miserable along with all DDs' therapy. And there's always the chance that nothing will come out of it..... but there's also a chance they will settle out of court after some pressure. Girls this video is graphic. You would think you are watching a still birth. I'm sure that it will make any cold blooded lawyer cringe. And you can clearly hear the techs saying that the suction unit had failed. Lord who knows what will happen :(. I'm hoping the right lawyer can take all the hassle out of things. I still haven't decided to sue, but I have decided to meet with a lawyer. She will have to be damn convincing that our involvement will be minimal. And then if I decide we have a chance I have to interview a couple other lawyers to make sure I choose the right one. I have lots of homework to do :haha:

AF is on her way. Due tomorrow and I'm spotting now so I'm sure our little accident didn't take.

Essie, I can see why you would worry, and I think your plan to really weigh you options after interviewing a few lawyers will certainly give you some sense of whether or not it is something you wish to pursue. I only know 1 person (I worked in the nursing home he lives in) that has pursued legal action for something major. He was awarded a VERY large settlement, plus ALL of his medical expenses for the remainder of his life. He was only 35 and will require life long care in a nursing home because of a car accident that left him a technical quad. I have to assume with video indicating medical malpractice you may have a very strong case.

Sorry to hear AF will be making an appearance...How long have you been NTNP?

Sequeena, I guess its up to you to join me in first tri!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->