Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

Thanks peanut :hugs:

Bumpin im kinda curious about Gabe to. So he will completely ignore you and your DH, consistently? Even if you have something he wants? Does he ignore everyone? If you get a chance explain some more of his behavior that alarms you. There's a chance someone will recognize those behaviors and say hey my kid did that and............ I love these forums for that. I've happened across lots of good advice that way. Maybe look into trying to get him into speech therapy, some places are self referred. You just call and say I'm worried about my son not speaking... I don't know anything about your heatlh system but Speech Therapists (a good one) can spot all sorts of developmental problems. He's still young and you're likely to hear that but I'm sure a good speech therapist would tell you if they were concerned about ASD or anything as a cause. They can't diagnose, I don't think but can definitely point you in a direction. Hayleys ST was amazing, I told her I was concerned about ASD in Hayley because it can be an associated disorder. She immediately said this child doesn't have ASD and this is why....... She was very very knowledgeable about any disorder that impacts speech and communication, even the very rare ones. It's very much just an hour of playtime to, I think it's fun :haha:

Hayley is a snot machine! Goodness it's everywhere. She barely slept again but seems to be in good spirits, got her in a steamy bath and just letting everything drain :haha: I didn't know someone so little could produce this much mucus!

Poor Hayley, hope she feels better soon :hugs:

Bumpin, I wouldn't always notice that his development would be "focusing" on another area - in fact during those times he would sometimes seem overall a bit worse - poor balance, not being his clear on his sounds etc. Often seemed quite tired as well. But then all of a sudden he would come out of it for example with overall improved gross motor control and the usual clarity in his sounds. Other times it would be obvious he was focusing on a certain area. I guess my point is I couldn't always tell until after.

I realize and so understand your husband's reluctance to see the developmental paed - my husband was exactly the same, but it may give you some answers and solutions for addressing them, may also rule out some of your fears. I also like Essie's suggestion of trying to get some feedback from a therapist as well. We have actually found that they are in some ways better at identifying and understanding developmental issues.

It's hard dealing with the worry and anxiety at the best times - but even harder when you're also pregnant! :hugs::hugs::hugs:

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

thanks ladies.

Essie, He doesn't ignore our presence, just when we say his name, he doesn't look at us. If he getting into something I don't want him in, and I call his name, he just keeps on going, no matter the volume/tone used. This is consistent. With M (the little girl I babysit who is 19 months old, and I've been watching her since 12 months) when she is about to get into something and we say her name she looks at us immediately. If she chooses to ignore the request, she watches for your reaction the whole time she is "disobeying"
If we are eating something, or have something he wants, he has no problem crawling up to us and tries to get it from us. He is quite the food mooch. All of my concerns are really centered on his speech and communication. I've done a few of the ASQ forms, and its the major area that his progression has been minimal to non existent. Everywhere else, he is "behind" but has stayed consistently about 3 months behind, which I don't think is a big deal.

I really don't think he is autistic, but im really not an expert. (or anywhere close!) Our EI Coordinator has told me she will make a referral to the autism team if I want it, but I am thinking a dev. ped. would better serve him. Here the wait list for Speech is about 9 months. I had him put on the list at 11 months, so it will likely be a few more months before he is seen.

Omg that is an unreasonable wait! 9 mos for speech! When Hayley is getting into something she shouldn't have and I call her name she moves faster to get whatever :haha: I thought forever she was ignoring us but nope, just using the time it takes mom to get to her to do whatever it is she wants. Lol. Mabey Gabe is ignoring you so he can get on with the fun stuff :haha: If he likes food use that to get him talking or signing. The signs for "more" and "eat" may particularly interest him.

Hiya, bad weekend here. T slept barely any so we're trying to get him some melatonin to help him sleep.

bumpin - Your son sounds like mine, except way younger LOL :haha: I actually thought your LO was a year older than he is this entire time - I didn't realize he was so young! What is he under special consultants for if you don't mind me asking? My son responds to his name now but it's really hard to get his attention - often I have to touch his face. And if there are distractions (TV, etc) then there's no chance he'll notice me calling. His hearing is perfect though. Whereabouts are you in Canada? We went through speech super early (18mo!) because he was unable to make sounds with his mouth. It is getting better though and now he can make 75% of sounds at almost 4.

Sun - He's younger than most in the system because his mother is a nut! :haha: I noticed when he was really young that he wasn't quite on par with his peers, and contacted our early intervention center for some information. He was 10 months when we were first seen. At that time it was suggested that we put ourselves o the list for both hearing and speech so that if we felt that it was needed when they got to us, then we wouldn't have to wait. At this point all we are being seen for is hearing/speech, but it has been suggested that we see a developmental pediatrician, and that we been put on the list for an autism assessment, but neither have been done yet. We are going for ANOTHER hearing assessment at the end of next week. If he passes, then we may be going down the autism route.

We are in Halifax, so the wait times are farily long, but because we were on them so early, we will still be seen at a young age. Our EI coordinator is going to call them and see where we are on the list, and see if we can get bumped up a bit.

Hiya, bad weekend here. T slept barely any so we're trying to get him some melatonin to help him sleep.

Oh no. You poor things :hugs: I have heard that melatonin drops and exposure to early sunlight or a uv lamp can help him to sleep more consistently. My sources are an old psychology professor, Dr. Oz and Google :rofl: So mabey not the much help but anything that's not harmful is worth a shot. I'm lucky. Hayley sleeps well for the most part but just won't self settle. Hope he rests well for you tonight and isn't a grumpy T all day :hugs:

Lol bumpin :haha: better to be a nut than not ;). How's little Gabe doing today? Is he still standing and cruising, and attempting to walk? I bet he's honing that last muscle control in order to take off. ;) He's to busy trying to get moving to talk about it :haha: Your on the right track mama. Your being proactive and concerned. That little man will be just fine :hugs:

Hayley is having a tough day today. She is tight and didn't want to do much in pt. She's been a little "off" with this cold, her tone is high in her legs and lower trunk is stiff :cry: These days make me worry for the future.

Sun - congrats on the pregnancy! :happydance:

Bumpin, great you started looking into things so early. I also knew from quite early on something wasn't quite right and by 20 months or so we had reached a diagnosis which has helped hugely in getting T the support he needs. Is there a particular reason they suspect autism?

Essie - I have always found with T that if he is not feeling well or very tired his physical abilities are definitely affected - for us it manifests in especially poor balance and coordination. :hugs:

Sequeena - as you already know - big hugs :hugs:

thanks ladies. I don't mind being a bit nutty ( or a lot) if it means he gets the help he needs. He's still cruising along the furniture, but had no inclination to go anywhere on his own. Im sure on that skull he'll get there eventually, I figure around 18/19 months. he's consistently 3/4 months behind the average.

peanut, an autism assessment had been suggested, I think, to rule it out. he has a few of the minor flags, but Idon't think that is what is going on. We will see what the speech therapist thinks when we see them. I'm also making an appointment with our GP to get him on the wait list for a developmental pediatrician. Hopefully that workload isn't too long.

Essie and sequeena, sorry you guys are having some rough days. Hopefully you get a good day soon. maybe the change in weather is to blame?

Poor Hayley hope she's feeling better soon! :hugs:

Today I bought lavender oil for his bath and bed clothes and vervain to put in his drinks. Hopefully aromatherapy works.

Sun - He's younger than most in the system because his mother is a nut! :haha: I noticed when he was really young that he wasn't quite on par with his peers, and contacted our early intervention center for some information. He was 10 months when we were first seen. At that time it was suggested that we put ourselves o the list for both hearing and speech so that if we felt that it was needed when they got to us, then we wouldn't have to wait. At this point all we are being seen for is hearing/speech, but it has been suggested that we see a developmental pediatrician, and that we been put on the list for an autism assessment, but neither have been done yet. We are going for ANOTHER hearing assessment at the end of next week. If he passes, then we may be going down the autism route.

We are in Halifax, so the wait times are farily long, but because we were on them so early, we will still be seen at a young age. Our EI coordinator is going to call them and see where we are on the list, and see if we can get bumped up a bit.

What skills is he delayed with and what are you concerned about? It's really hard to diagnose autism that early unless it is severe and very obvious - most 16mo kids display at least some of the classic signs. My son has been flagged for it for years, but they develop so quickly and differently that it's hard to tell. My son has hypotonia and hypermobility, so was late with his gross motor skill milestones. He started rolling, crawling and getting himself into sitting at around 13 months old. But he did so well after that and walked within the "normal" range (just before 18mo) - even though he couldn't walk on uneven surfaces until around 2. And he started talking at around 2.5 and now is doing so well. He started school and is learning so much. I'm just so proud of him. At a year when he couldn't move from lying on his back I was terrified about his future - but omg I wish I could have had a little window into the future to see him running for the school bus with his backpack and lunch box :cloud9:

Poor Hayley hope she's feeling better soon! :hugs:

Today I bought lavender oil for his bath and bed clothes and vervain to put in his drinks. Hopefully aromatherapy works.

Did the melatonin help at all? I know some mums who swear by it. xo

Where can you get melatonin? Who do you have to ask?

Pish day here? DH is on the Hanen More Than Words course and they come round and video Alex. Today went completely pear shaped apparantly, she had a meltdown and tantrum session, kicked off because she wanted to hide away with her ipad and ended up being sick as per. :(

Facebook ssetting me off as well - everyone seems to be on the "look at my advanced toddler" train. I mean, piss off. :cry: Why do typical kids get the head start :(

No we haven't got the melatonin yet it can't be bought over the counter in the UK. Only T's paediayrician can prescribe it x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->