Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

Hayley got fitted for her AFO's today :happydance: They are a new 2 stage design that she can wear crawling and walking. Its kind of like a tiny boot that snaps inside another taller boot. I'm really hopeful these will help her walk. We will see in 2 to 4 weeks if they help.;)

Sequeena how did aromatherapy work?? My kiddo has lavender and vanilla lotion that seems to help calm her. But I am usually giving her a massage after a warm bath when I use it so who knows if its the smells or the massage :haha:

Hi ladies :hi:

AP sorry you guys had an off day :hugs: hope tomorrow is better.

Melatonin drops are sold over the counter here. But DD sleeps well if she's not sick so I haven't used them.

Sorry for the crap day AP :(

Go Hayley, hope those boots help her!! :dance:

I only started the aromatherapy yesterday so haven't seen a difference yet. T is staying the night at my cousin's to give me and Sean a break so I've given her the vervain and told her what to do. FX we'll see a change in the next few weeks.

Sorry for the crap day AP :(

Go Hayley, hope those boots help her!! :dance:

I only started the aromatherapy yesterday so haven't seen a difference yet. T is staying the night at my cousin's to give me and Sean a break so I've given her the vervain and told her what to do. FX we'll see a change in the next few weeks.

Glad you are getting a break dear. Hope you guys have a good night:thumbup:

ap: sorry to hear your having a rough day. it's hard to see how well every one else's kids seem to be doing, especially when it's an extra rough day

sequeena, glad you guys are getting a bit of a break. hopefully you get some sleep!

Essie, hope the boots help!

peanut, Gabriel is delayed by 3-4 months in every area, but has progressed staying within 4 months of his peers. except with communication. he's still at the level of a 6 month old. he doesn't have the major flags for autism, but he doesn't babble, use gestures, or try to show us anything. he doesn't interact the same as other kids. Our EI coordinator suggested it, not because she thinks he's autistic, but he may fall on the spectrum somewhere.

ugh. morning sickness seems to be coming back in full force. thankful for the 10 day break, but man, this feels awful... only a 4 more weeks until 2nd trimester. hoping for an easy pregnancy this time around...

Thomas was sick twice at my cousin's so he's home. He's been a terror since, there's nothing wrong with him!! :growlmad:

Bumpin I hope the pregnancy hormones ease up on you. I was sick almost my whole pregnancy with DD. No Fun. :nope: :hugs: for the lil man

Oh goodness sequeena. T just wasn't going to be away from mama tonight huh. :hugs: I hope he calms for you and you can just chill.

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me dropping in. I was just looking around for anyone with older (school?) kids with delays. My 5 year old(6 next month) is speech delayed. She finally had a proper assessment in Feb 2013 and scored very low falling in the 8th percentile for her age group. The average range is 16-85% so they concluded she is severely delayed.

She is in year one now and they are going to start spelling tests next week and i'm feeling nervous about it. She is doing pretty good with reading and last week she was reader of the week in her class. It was great to see an achievement like that as we have put in a lot of work at home into reading. I don't know where she stands with her age group now and I'm happier that way. With the spellings, if she does badly I'm going to feel like we've gone back to square one. We had put so much work into getting her to talk and was over the moon when she was speaking in sentences at last and then to get that report was like bit of a knock back, I had hoped it wasn't that bad.

sorry for the long moan. hope everyone else is having a good day x

Well, he's woken up today and seems fine but he's quieter than usual and paler. He's eating/playing so maybe he just feels a bit off. I won't give him any vervain today but I doubt that is what made him sick as it's used regularly to calm children. I'm disappointed but he comes first and I can have a night off another time.

Hi lindblum, we don't mind at all. Would you like to have something put on the first page?

My 4 year old cousin has speech delay too. He can talk but you can barely understand him so he goes to speech therapy. So sorry to hear your DD is severely speech delayed :( is there a reason why it's only just been picked up or perhaps is just one of those things? She'll come on I'm sure with some help and wow reader of the class!! That's awesome, well done her! I'm sure she'll be ok in school, she might not do as well right now but she will definitely catch up to her peers.

Yes, I don't mind. I had asked for help with her speech since she was 3 but it's just taken a long time to get any help. She's not actually had any professional help with speech, just assessments. it's very frustrating. She didn't start speaking in sentences until well after she turned 4. I can understand most of what she says now though. She's always been behind but she is catching up as she gets older, from what i can see.

I'm sorry your child is feeling poorly x

:flower: hi everyone. I've been reading along about all the bumps and babies, toddlers and children. Not to forget their long suffering parents.

I've not posted as I think I'm in a bit of denial and frustrated. We are still at the stage of " he's ok just taking a bit longer" but I keep nightlong away there is "something".

Things he can do at 15 ( next week) months:
Climb the stairs, get back down them ( tho he's stopped doing this??), crawl, cruise, hiya and dadda and waves. He can swim very well. Sort of tries a shape sorter, puts things in things- like a toy in a box, free flowing sippy cup finger food and tries to use cutlery.

His interaction with other children is not good, like t he gets soooo over excited he bites or grabs at them. He is on review for biting at nursery. He has begun mega tantrums.

I'm really working hard playing with him praising good behaviours and ignore bites or strops. He seems very high needs constsntly needing something different to work on.

Xxxx

Hi annanoushka :hugs: FX he is just high needs and will soon go through a developmental leap :thumbup: How did your LO get down the stairs, bum shuffling? Thomas can't do it yet, I've been trying with him but he just can't.

Anna, your LO is doing more than DD does at 19 mos. :hugs:

Ughhh. Crap day in speech therapy today. DD didn't want to do anything but cry at the therapist and run to her dad. Lol. It was so bad that dad has been banished from the next session:haha: He's horrible about giving her whatever she wants without making her work for it :dohh: He's off work, thanks government shutdown :nope:, and is spoiling her rotten. She was also just grumpy today, still has a cold and must have been hungry. When we left she ate a huge lunch like she was starving, poor thing. Momma is the enemy today to :( she has cried at me a bunch, and won't give me hugs. I can't figure out for the life of me why she's mad at me. Giving her medicine and suctioning her nose mabey....

Poor Hayley! Thomas has been like that with me today, kids are so fickle.

Hope her next session goes better!!

:nope: men! My dh is the same and also gives in to things very quick. I love my son dearly but after observing and trial and error I really think u need to be "firm" with him. By that I mean, here's your dinner, oh u don't want it ok u can have fruit in an hour or two not...here's dinner, oh I don't eat it il do toast them u can have pudding with me! Also not giving in to his strops. He runs rings round you if you do.

I've been working really hard these past few days :haha: (I make it sound such hard work) no dummy except nap and sleep, praising th good, ignoring the stops etc. he actually seems a bit better :shrug: I'm sure he is interacting a bit more with me and ha sheen waving and saying hiya to strangers. Normally he just moans for his dummy th eats it (he puts the whole thing in his mouth and chews) I can't buy bigger ones.

He goes down stairs and gets off things backward, so from the landing he will crawl backward to the edge of the first step then reverse on to it and so on. He would get off the sofa and bed the same way but has stopped? He just sits and screams at you or tries to lunge forwards :shrug: I keep worrying he's done something tonhisnbrain by keep banging his head and he's forgotten. I know that sound s so ridiculous but I do! He's also started crawling with his head down on the floor and charging like a bull or something :wacko: I'm hoping its just a phase.

I bet they would all get on so well. We saw a nice lad with Down's syndrome he was 8 but they actually played together :hugs: I think the downs boy was happy my lo enjoyed him being gentle and showering him with attention and my lo liked the fact he didn't run off with the occasional shove! Was cute x

:flower: hi everyone. I've been reading along about all the bumps and babies, toddlers and children. Not to forget their long suffering parents.

I've not posted as I think I'm in a bit of denial and frustrated. We are still at the stage of " he's ok just taking a bit longer" but I keep nightlong away there is "something".

Things he can do at 15 ( next week) months:
Climb the stairs, get back down them ( tho he's stopped doing this??), crawl, cruise, hiya and dadda and waves. He can swim very well. Sort of tries a shape sorter, puts things in things- like a toy in a box, free flowing sippy cup finger food and tries to use cutlery.

His interaction with other children is not good, like t he gets soooo over excited he bites or grabs at them. He is on review for biting at nursery. He has begun mega tantrums.

I'm really working hard playing with him praising good behaviours and ignore bites or strops. He seems very high needs constsntly needing something different to work on.

Xxxx

What areas are you concerned about specifically? Because your LO seems pretty typical for a 15mo. He is using gestures (even starting to talk!), good gross motor (swimming, cruising, stairs), and plays with toys/eats with cutlery. Some of these are ahead of other kids his own age (my typically developing daughter started talking at 20mo). The grabbing and biting is definitely an age thing. Are you comparing him with friends kids who are doing more? Because all kiddos are very different in their development - just because they hit a "milestone" a month late doesn't mean they're delayed at all. That said, if there's something you really feel is wrong I would definitely get it checked - just based on what you wrote i can't even see a single "red flag" for something. Does he play with you or include you in his playing?

Anna your little man sounds like a bruiser! :haha: A rough, tough lil boy ;) The crawling with his head down sounds pretty normal. My lil cousin does this and he's 11 weeks younger than Hayley. Hayley tries to do this to but the poor dear doesn't have the balance. :hugs: Sorry you are worried about him dear. I hope all is well.

No therapy today! :happydance: We were rescheduled to start next week because the insurance papers hadn't come in yet. I really didn't want to go today, I feel horrible, I think I have a cold or something. And super pms! :haha: A lady was rude to me on the phone and it just got to me so bad. Trivial thing had me going mad. Ugh. Better to spend the day feeding ducks and fish with my family in the park. Schools in so No one will be there. Nice :)

Oh bless her and doing the actions too! Just sent you a request I'm Sarah xx

Nothing to report here. T is his usual non sleeping, violent self.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->