Developmental disorders/learning disabilities/genetic syndromes & more support group

It's play based here too they also use sign language :)

I wish he'd bother with his signs! He's so lazy. Like he has not once in 2 years bothered to sign 'mummy' but he learnt the signs for biscuit, car, TV, more, and chocolate in three seconds flat and uses them every other minute! :haha: :dohh:

Rory had his 2 year check this morning and he's finally being referred for speech therapy! And the lovely HV has said that he's eligible for special needs support at nursery but that he should have no problem with starting in September and they can't turn him down because of his delay, which is fantastic.

Awesome news! :happydance: We love our speech therapy, I think I have as much fun at it as DD. You will like it and your little man will to, I'm sure. :thumbup:

What is it like? I have no idea what SALT is or does really!

I'm in the US so our programs may be a little different but it's all very play based. Lots of naming objects like farm animals and making their sounds. Lots of forced choice between 2 or 3 objects, like having a cow figure in one hand and a duck in the other and asking DD to get the duck. When she reaches out, even if she picks the wrong one, we give her the duck and say very animated "duck!" And we do lots of quacking and waddling like a duck. Every choice becomes a game. It's very simple but in 5 months DD's receptive language has expanded to about 50 objects or more. She knows about every farm animal there is because of the toys we use. Also simple books with one object per page and we ask her to point to each object. Like a fish on one page anf monkey on the other we say or sing 'where is monkey?' If she chooses correctly we do a little song and dance as reinforcement. It's also very much about classical conditioning, as in a reward or positive reinforcement the very moment she gets something right. We also do sign language teaching basic ones like "more" and "want". Now the words she learned to sign a few months ago she speaks. Signing and picture choice eventually turns into a language all their own. I love that she can communicate with me about things she likes now.

I think Rory's may be a little different as he understands so many words- all his animals, shapes, body parts etc- but he really struggles to make the sounds. Verbal apraxia has been thrown about as an idea. I just hope that it's something that can be fixed ASAP as I'd love for him to be able to talk to the other children when he starts at nursery in September because he'd love some friends.

That's what they think Leo has aswell. We've been referred for some tests which should be before the end of this month hopefully. Sounds like our LOs are really similar xx

Sequeena glad to hear you are getting a new pushchair for T. Sucks that you've been waiting so long. I'm in a similar situation with DD now that we may be having another kiddo. I usually just pack her if she tuckers out but that may become impossible. And she's so tall that finding a good fit will be hard. She's 36inches already:wacko:

Its been a big week for us. DD took 14 independant steps during physical therapy Wednesday. She was very pleased with herself and me and her dad cried. Ugh big babies we are :haha: Thursday she turned 2 and again I cried like a baby :haha: She made out like a bandit in the gifts department and got to eat more sugar than any child should. We were up till 2am because of that:dohh: And today we saw little bean with a flickering HB:cloud9: I'm too worked up to sleep even though DD and DH are snoring away. I will pay for it tomorrow but for now its nice to be too excited to sleep:cloud9:

That's so wonderful! Are they her first steps?

Not her very first, she managed 2 independant steps for the first time on December 22 :cloud9: Although she has been getting around in a kaye walker for a few months now. She has to wear braces to support her ankles or she can't walk as they are very hypermobile and she falls.

Bananabump: Does Leo have any words at all? Fingers crossed you get some answers soon! Is he behind in anything else?

Essie: Two to fourteen is a huge leap! I bet she was really pleased with herself :)

Emy we also do lots of oral exercises with some therapy tools like tounge lateralization and elevation. Like if DD is watching my mouth as I'm saying Love I will show her to put her tounge behind her front teeth then I have a little rubber tool that I push her tounge up to her teeth with and say la la la Love. I use a vibrating tool with a small precise point and make her 'chase' it with her tounge. It teaches her to move her mouth in ways to produce speech. But DD is a little different due to her diagnosis being CP. But if your little one has any oral aversions oral exercises and using biting toys helps loads.

Sequeena how's little T after his fall?? Poor little guy:hugs: I bet you were scared to death! So glad he's ok. Has his HV or PT mentioned bracing his ankles because of the hypermobility and hypotonia? DD has some soft plastic ankle braces that help so much. They aren't to restrictive and they offer just enough support to keep her ankles from giving out.

Emy we also do lots of oral exercises with some therapy tools like tounge lateralization and elevation. Like if DD is watching my mouth as I'm saying Love I will show her to put her tounge behind her front teeth then I have a little rubber tool that I push her tounge up to her teeth with and say la la la Love. I use a vibrating tool with a small precise point and make her 'chase' it with her tounge. It teaches her to move her mouth in ways to produce speech. But DD is a little different due to her diagnosis being CP. But if your little one has any oral aversions oral exercises and using biting toys helps loads.

That all sounds very high tech :haha: Yeah I think that's what Rory will be doing. He's always had trouble with his mouth, and only in the last few months learnt to actually chew his food and not suck it!

It's play based here too they also use sign language :)

I wish he'd bother with his signs! He's so lazy. Like he has not once in 2 years bothered to sign 'mummy' but he learnt the signs for biscuit, car, TV, more, and chocolate in three seconds flat and uses them every other minute! :haha: :dohh:

Awww that's too cute. Lol. Toddlers are so funny, they really know how to ask for the fun stuff. :haha:

Emy they will do lots of oral stuff with him then. Lots of getting him to chew on different texture chews and touching his mouth and lips and teeth. DD has trouble chewing sometimes as well and the chew toys and z vibe have helped so much. The improvement in teeth brushing has been amazing. Before DD would cry and scream if I forced her to brush her teeth. It was a nightmare every time, but now she tolerates it as long as I let her brush mine in turn. She's pretty rough at it though, it's an adventure to keep her from gagging me or chipping off a tooth:haha:

Sequeena how's little T after his fall?? Poor little guy:hugs: I bet you were scared to death! So glad he's ok. Has his HV or PT mentioned bracing his ankles because of the hypermobility and hypotonia? DD has some soft plastic ankle braces that help so much. They aren't to restrictive and they offer just enough support to keep her ankles from giving out.

He's ok. the lump/indent has gone now so he just has the gash. Bless him. The hospital said he'd need calpol but because he doesn't feel pain normally we've not had to bother... which is a bit freaky but I'm not going to give it to him when he's not complaining.

I was speaking to Sean earlier about the exact same thing. His ankles are getting worse and I'm really scared of what will happen the next time they give out. I'm going to ring the children's centre tomorrow to speak to the physio therapist and I'll need to speak to my health visitor to get her to refer him to wheelchair services so I may mention it then. I think braces even for a short while would be extremely helpful for him.

Here is a website that has lots of info about apraxia and different speech issues related to autism. DD's speech therapist actually takes her training from the lady that runs this site. Its amazing and you don't have to buy anything. Its a little hard to navigate but at the top in the yellow bar you will see 'apraxia' and other links. Also the archives have tons of free info.

www.teachmetotalk.com

Here is a website that has lots of info about apraxia and different speech issues related to autism. DD's speech therapist actually takes her training from the lady that runs this site. Its amazing and you don't have to buy anything. Its a little hard to navigate but at the top in the yellow bar you will see 'apraxia' and other links. Also the archives have tons of free info.

www.teachmetotalk.com

He's ok. the lump/indent has gone now so he just has the gash. Bless him. The hospital said he'd need calpol but because he doesn't feel pain normally we've not had to bother... which is a bit freaky but I'm not going to give it to him when he's not complaining.

I was speaking to Sean earlier about the exact same thing. His ankles are getting worse and I'm really scared of what will happen the next time they give out. I'm going to ring the children's centre tomorrow to speak to the physio therapist and I'll need to speak to my health visitor to get her to refer him to wheelchair services so I may mention it then. I think braces even for a short while would be extremely helpful for him.

Aww, what a trooper. DD is exactly the same, her pain tolerance is plain freaky. Never cries if she has to have a blood test or injection, never cries if she falls, and once she burned her thumb at my moms house and we didn't even know until I saw it in the bath later that night. Same way if she's sick, poor thing will be wiped out before we can tell she's sick sometimes. It's scary sometimes.

The braces will help him I'm sure. T and DD are similar in having hypermobility and hypotonia. I think DDs hypotonia may be more severe but without the bracing she couldn't walk at all.

Banannabump :hi: Congrats on being in second trimester:happydance: just spotted the ticker ;) Can't wait to get there myself.

Bananabump: Does Leo have any words at all? Fingers crossed you get some answers soon! Is he behind in anything else?

Essie: Two to fourteen is a huge leap! I bet she was really pleased with herself :)

He did learn a few words months ago but nowhere near the correct pronunciation and now he can't say them again. The only consistent ones he uses are 'ma' for mummy, 'dee' for daddy and car. He's only said ma and dee for about 8 weeks though. The rest of the time he just makes noises and knows exactly what he's saying so gets frustrated when we can't understand him. It's really upsetting :( The only other concern about him is his social skills but the paed said she doesn't think he's showing any signs for autism (whih she was considering at one point) so we're in limbo really and only time will tell I suppose. After he's had the official diagnosis of verbal dyspraxia then he's starting speech therapy 3 times a week xx

www.teachmetotalk.com

That's fab thank you xx

Banannabump :hi: Congrats on being in second trimester:happydance: just spotted the ticker ;) Can't wait to get there myself.

Congratulations :) Ahh yeh it's a nice feeling to be in second tri, especially as my MS has stopped and we've got a gender scan in 2 weeks! You'll be there soon xx

He did learn a few words months ago but nowhere near the correct pronunciation and now he can't say them again. The only consistent ones he uses are 'ma' for mummy, 'dee' for daddy and car. He's only said ma and dee for about 8 weeks though. The rest of the time he just makes noises and knows exactly what he's saying so gets frustrated when we can't understand him. It's really upsetting :( The only other concern about him is his social skills but the paed said she doesn't think he's showing any signs for autism (whih she was considering at one point) so we're in limbo really and only time will tell I suppose. After he's had the official diagnosis of verbal dyspraxia then he's starting speech therapy 3 times a week xx

Limbo is the worst... we've been in limbo for months as the wait lists are so long here, and DS is young, so it seems he gets brushed aside. He's starting to understand us, and his words are sporadic. One week he seemed to have quite a few new words, then back to not using them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->