Diaper cake

JeepGirl

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
My mother had a shower for me today. I got 2 diaper cakes, such a great idea. The big one has so many little gifts in it, some of them even personalized with LO's name.

Attachments

• P1300128.jpg
    P1300128.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 52
  • P1300125.jpg
    P1300125.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 49
  • P1300127.jpg
    P1300127.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 36
  • P1300126.jpg
    P1300126.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 32
I made one for a friend that looked almost exactly like the first picture. They're a great gift, and you really do end up appreciating the extra diapers in the beginning!

Oh they're both so pretty!!! Lots of goodies in there. I used to think they were kind of silly but now have totally understood their value and all the hard work that goes into making them. Good friend just had a baby and received one and was using the diapers out of hers for what seemed like months!

My sis in law made me one of these, I thought it was the sweetest thing ever! xx

Ooo i had a nappy cake ( sorry i'm far too english to bring myself to say diaper lol)
This was a few years ago & i'd never seen one before?
I wonder if they're hard to make i'd love to make one for my sil x

Ooo i had a nappy cake ( sorry i'm far too english to bring myself to say diaper lol)
This was a few years ago & i'd never seen one before?
I wonder if they're hard to make i'd love to make one for my sil x

My aunt made the smaller one in the 1st picture. She said the worst part was rolling up all the diapers, but other than that is was easy to make. She used size 3 diapers so you don't need to roll as many as you would if you used a smaller size.

Really? I loved that part. lol

MAKING A DIAPER CAKE

Step 1. Ingredients for a diaper cake:

You can get all of these at a local baby supplies store. (You may need to go to a craft store for the ribbon)

• 60 diapers (depends on how big you make it) You can use either disposable or cloth - better find out what the expectant mother would like. You can use either white or patterned diapers.

• Ribbon, 1/2 or 1 inch wide, patterned to fit the baby shower theme. Pink, blue, or yellow are good choices.

• 70+ small clear elastics, the kind you'd use to do teeny braids in the summer in your hair, for binding each diaper

• 36-60 small clear rubber bands (depending on how you want to "build" the cake

• 6 large rubber bands

• One 8-oz baby bottle or one large bottle of baby lotion

• One 4-oz baby bottle

• A cardboard or plastic cake platter

• Cake decorations - for example, baby confetti, baby sock roses, artificial roses, etc.

• Baby items - Pacifiers, bottles, lotion, bibs, receiving blankets, miniature stuffed animals, baby towel, onesie, wash cloths, baby hygiene products, toys, etc.

Step 2. Here we go: Let's build this cake one tier at a time.

For the first tier, you will need about 35 newborn or stage 1 diapers.

Unfold 17 of them and, one at a time, roll them up tight, starting from the front of the diaper and rolling it to the back. ( OR Roll from the open end to the crotch if using Newborn size diapers) The tighter the better. Place a rubber band around the center after you roll each diaper up to hold it tight. These are the inner diapers for the cake.

Take the cake platter and place the 8-oz baby bottle or large bottle of baby lotion in the center. Then place about 5-6 diapers around the bottle and put a large rubberband around the entire ring of diapers.
The picture to the right is what your cake will look like at this point:

Next, form a 2nd ring with the remaining 11-12 diapers by placing them around the 1st ring of diapers. Complete it by placing a large rubberband around the 2nd ring.

Now for the final ring of diapers for the 1st tier: Take 18-20 diapers, unfold each one, roll them up tight like before, but instead of a rubber band around each one, tie a thin, 1/4 inch piece of ribbon around the middle around each one. Then place them around the second ring to form a 3rd ring. Now take a large, 1/2 to 1 inch wide ribbon and tie it around the entire tier to hold them all together in a circle shape.

(Note, you could use just rubberbands around each diaper for the 3rd ring if you have opaque ribbon to hold the 3rd ring together. The important part is that no rubberbands are showing when you are done.)

All right! you have made the 1st tier. Here is what it should look like:

https://www.plan-the-perfect-baby-shower.com/images/diapercakeB-m1.jpg

Step 3. The second tier is made much the same way, only instead of 3 rings, you will only make 2 rings of diapers. Just like the 1st tier, the inside ring will need about 5-6 diapers. Part of the 8-oz bottle will be sticking out of the 1st tier, so place your 5-6 diapers around it to form the 1st ring of the 2nd tier. The 2nd ring will need 11-12 diapers. Place a ribbon around each one of those 2nd ring diapers and hold them all together in a circle with the 1/2 to 1 inch wide ribbon, just like before.

Here is what the finished 2nd tier will look like:

https://www.plan-the-perfect-baby-shower.com/images/diapercakeC-m1.jpg

Step 4. Third tier is easy!

It is probably easiest to assemble this tier on a table and then place it on the rest of the cake after it is assembled. So, take a 4-oz bottle and place it on the table.

Then take 5-6 diapers and roll them up like before and tie them with the thin ribbon.

Then place them around the 4 -oz baby bottle and tie your wide ribbon around it to hold it together tightly in it's shape. Take the top tier and place it on the top.

Drum roll, please! And now for the finished product...

https://www.plan-the-perfect-baby-shower.com/images/diapercakeD-m1b.jpg

Your diaper cake will look similar to this one, with your own special twist! :]
Step 5. Now for the fun part:

Add little baby items like Pacifiers, bottles, lotion, bibs, receiving blankets, miniature stuffed animals, baby towel, onesie, wash cloths, baby hygiene products, toys, etc. Place them between the folds of the diaper, tuck the larger items into the outer layer of ribbon.

Add stickers and decorations to match the baby shower theme.

Place a stuffed animal, such as Winnie the Pooh, teddy bear, Elmo, Demdaco angel, Precious Moments figurine, pair of baby shoes, or something else on top to match the baby shower theme.

And Voila! You're done and it's a masterpiece! Your baby shower diaper cake is sure to receive plenty of oohs and aahs.

i love diaper cakes!never knew they existed till my baby shower, but their so creative:)

I loveeee homemade diaper cakes. People get so creative with them. I like the idea on your second one of putting it in a bag with other goodies. I almost wanna make one for myself just for the fun of it :)

There great arent they

If i ever went to a baby shower i would make/buy one of these

Thankyou for the instructions was just about to have a google i'm going to attempt one for my sil x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->