Did you pack a 'just in case' hospital bag?

merristems

proud new mummy
Reaction score
Im a hopeful home birthing, water birthing, first time mum to be who is thinking of packing a hospital bag for just in case things go a rye! Did everyone else do this?

Yes absolutely. It would be silly not too as birth is unpredictable. Your health care provider should also recommend you do this.

I did, it was really handy throughout my home birth to have everything I needed in one place, there's no way dh would have been able to hunt down my lip balm, hair bobbles, earphones etc. so it saved a lot of searching. It also meant that I hid my labour snacks away so they didn't get eaten before I needed them!

I've packed one too, Like sue said, birth is so unpredictable. This is my 3rd baby but 1st HB, so I'm keeping everything crossed. I've also packed a HB bag which has shower curtains, inco sheets etc, just bits that the mw not have in her pack.

Getting excited now :) x

Nope, didn't bother.

My last birth was a home birth but ended in hospital transfer at the pushing stage. I just had OH run back to the house and grab a few things.

I would check with midwife policy but sometimes you are still treated as a home birth client even if you end up with a hospital birth/transfer. I left 3 hours later and there was no need for anything but some ugly sweatpants and panties. Of course, this is on the assumption that you aren't held overnight (which is pretty rare even for HB transfers)

I had 2 piles for me andbaby for after birth anyway so could have just chucked them in a bag but no I didn't make up a hospital bag x

I did. I just like knowing that everything I might need is in one place, otherwise I'd be thinking about it while I was in labour! I packed it about a month before and hid it away in the spare room so I didn't have to look at it or think about it. I put all my home birth things in another spot so I wouldn't have to even see the bag when it was time. I didn't need it and had a great home birth, but I'm still glad I had it just in case. I'd do the same next time.

Thanks ladies very helpful, i have done babys bag and most of mine, but i will wait until nearer time to finish it off with toiletries and food etc! Im getting very excited about everything now :)

There is absolutely no harm in having a bag made up. Like others have said..you just never know what will happen and the last thing you want to worry about is making a bag up in the heat of the moment...if its even at all possible by that time. My OH is my support so the last thing I want to have him do is run home to get anything I need when I need him there with me the most.

Nope. No hospital bag for me. If I had needed to transfer, I would have had my husband grab a few things before heading out and then I'd have family get things for me.

I did. And I ended up going to hospital so it was good that I had everything ready.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->