Divergent Trilogy (spoiler alert! discusses ending)

Sarahkka

Mama to Two Fine Boys!
Reaction score
I just finished this last night and I am finding myself almost unreasonably upset that the heroes finished as they did.
Was it really necessary for the author to bop Tris off???! Could we not have gotten the big "healing each other" message without her dying? Maybe I am just overly sensitive as I have suffered a recent loss, but there was a lot of sadness and violence throughout the trilogy, and I kind of felt like the pay off should have been a happy ending for Tris and Tobias. Instead, I just feel really bloody depressed! :haha:
Am I alone?
Someone sell me on this ending because I'm almost pissed at the author! :nope:

:flower: Hello

See, I'm not sure on the ending, at the time I was wondering why they couldn't have their happy ever after, but when I got thinking about it I thought that Tris couldn't survive - I mean all throughout the trilogy she was headstrong, passionate - some might say reckless - but also willing to sacrifice. I just can't imagine her and four having their happy ending and settling down with 2.4 children :shrug: I'm not sure how she would have fitted in the new world, and whether it would have been enough for her.... :shrug:

Hmm I can agree with sunshine but man did I cry. I was so sad and disappointed, after all of that. Her death just proved how selfless she was but although Caleb was her brother I don't think he was worthy of her dying in his place.
X

:flower: Hello

See, I'm not sure on the ending, at the time I was wondering why they couldn't have their happy ever after, but when I got thinking about it I thought that Tris couldn't survive - I mean all throughout the trilogy she was headstrong, passionate - some might say reckless - but also willing to sacrifice. I just can't imagine her and four having their happy ending and settling down with 2.4 children :shrug: I'm not sure how she would have fitted in the new world, and whether it would have been enough for her.... :shrug:

See, I saw her as reaching a point of such disillusionment - every place she went, every governing body, turned out to be nasty and corrupt - that her character needed that place of peace and hope to complete her journey. She fought so hard to help make a place that actually had some hope for a fair future and then she doesn't get to even see it, let alone experience living in it for a few years. I think she would have been very fulfilled working with the people of Chicago (especially Johanna Reyes and that gang) to build the world they wanted to live in. I feel incredibly ripped off that she didn't get to do that, and on the romantic front - well, both protagonists experienced so much heartbreak and loss throughout the story. They learned that lesson over and over again. Tris' death felt almost redundant and pointless to me - unneccessarily cruel to both Tobias and the poor readers! :)

Hmm I can agree with sunshine but man did I cry. I was so sad and disappointed, after all of that. Her death just proved how selfless she was but although Caleb was her brother I don't think he was worthy of her dying in his place.
X

Agreed! Another big wtf? moment for me. I think the author was trying to twist Caleb's attempt at redemption on its head, but I was just left feeling really frustrated that Caleb was alive and Tris was not. Although, to be fair, Caleb would definitely not have made it to the memory serum.
I wonder at the writing choice here. Ultimately, I wound up really frustrated and disappointed at the ending because a character I couldn't care less about was still alive and the girl I had invested all my reader emotion and energy into was gone. :shrug:

Saying that I have read talks that they're going to change the film endings so Tris doesn't die, I hope they don't. Though I wish it had ended differently I hate when they change endings in adaptations :/

I also cried so bad when Tori died and her brother was alive!, ahhh

X

Huh. Interesting that they'd change the film ending. I'm trying to let this ending grow on me, but I'm just all cranky about it! :haha:

X

Agreed! Another big wtf? moment for me. I think the author was trying to twist Caleb's attempt at redemption on its head, but I was just left feeling really frustrated that Caleb was alive and Tris was not. Although, to be fair, Caleb would definitely not have made it to the memory serum.
I wonder at the writing choice here. Ultimately, I wound up really frustrated and disappointed at the ending because a character I couldn't care less about was still alive and the girl I had invested all my reader emotion and energy into was gone. :shrug:

I know what you mean, especially on the caleb bit! He annoyed me throughout the whole book. Maybe he wasn't developed enough to truly understand him.

I've read these books recently too and I was disappointed with ending, I get it but there seems to be a trend of not having happy endings. I want happy endings even if they are not realistic cause they're books and escapism!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->