Do you use a pacifer? POLL

Yes I did last time - no regrets on that. Always said from the start that while I personally didn't like them (I think they're hideous looking in bright colours - all the ones we have are clear plastic to try to minimise that) I'd use one if the need arose... the need arose.

Prem baby, weak suck reflex, higher risk for SIDS that comes with prematurity - and, it comforted her - so yep, she has one... still has it at 9 months for sleep and when she's upset. Caused a few nights when she needed me to help her get it back in but we were co-sleeping with her in an attached cot then anyway so it was just a case of reaching across and finding it for her, and since it's now attached to a sleepytot toy - she can find it and put it back in herself in the middle of the night now anyway, and the toy is gradually taking over the comfort association as time goes on. Eventually the plan is she'll end up with one very bedraggled cuddly bunny and no dummy but I'm not going to take it off her when she still gets comfort from it to go to sleep - but I'm happy enough for her to have it to sleep until a point where we can rationalise leaving it for Santa or whatever if need is there.

I'm a compulsive nail biter - almost always in pain with it, and I'd also rather she sucked a dummy than got into any hands in mouth type habit that can be nigh-on impossible (well it defeated my mother in that battle of wills with mini-me) to break.

If the need arises this time and it's another baby who has that need to suck for comfort and will take a dummy - then yep I'll use one again.

i voted "no" but it wasn't for lack of trying - he just preferred my pinky finger and would spit the pacifier out. :shrug: i'm not against them or anything, though.

Sophie finally took one at about 4.5 months. I only gave her one that late because sleeping always was so upsetting for her. She would cry and cry and cry even after I'd nurse her to sleep. She'd wake and need to suck. I can't sleep when anyone's touching me, so we needed a solution!

We've just started weaning her off it a couple of days ago and she's not had a dummy for 48 hours now and doesn't cry anymore before she goes to sleep now. I can just sit with her and she peacefully drops off..

So with this one, I will offer if they are the same as Sophie, but I won't just offer for the sake of it as I'd rather avoid dummies. If they do end up having one, I'd be hoping to wean them off around the same time!

DS1 did not like them. DS2 loved his from 0-22 months. At 22 months, he put them all in a baggie and "gave" them to his new baby cousin. He never asked for one again. We moved when he was about 4, and I found 1 on the floor of his closet. He asked me what it was, he had absolutely no memory of it!

If it's something that provides a child comfort, what is so wrong with that?????

I haven't voted yet because I'm going to rely on baby to tell me if it wants one.

I do however have a set of 3 tommee tippee clear ones and will use them if needed. I do actually think they are a little cute on a baby - but anything older than 2 is not a 'need' and they should be removed regardless.

My LO is a thumb sucker! I tried to get him to suck on a soother but he didn't want anything to do with that. His thumb is in his mouth all the time. The thumb sucking started when he was about 1 month old. This is going to be one bad habit to break when he gets older. But it is so darn cute! Just take a look at my avatar and you will see.

This is something I really don't know about. My nephew is 19 months old and we believe his use of a dummy is starting to delay his speech (he tries to speak with the dummy in, obviously can't make proper words and be understood, so gives up) Although he is only supposed to get it when tired, he is now at the age where he throws a proper hissy fit if he doesn't get the dummy when he wants it.

I don't have any, and don't plan on using any. My brother, sister and I were raised without, and my aunt has three boys under 5 and never used one, so I don't believe they are necessary and will do all I can to make sure my baby doesn't need one.

But I know many people feel they have no other choice but to use them, and it saves a lot of people's sanity, and that could very well be me in two months time!

The jury is out on this one for me too! I guess I'll wait and see. I'm not super-keen on using them, although I do have some for in-case. I was put off when I went to visit a good friend in hospital after she gave birth, and the little 2 day old girl was given a dummy so that she wouldn't fuss while there were visitors there. It was feeding time for her, so she had a good reason to fuss. I would personally have asked my guests to leave or wait outside for a bit while I fed the baby, not plugged her up with a pacifier.
That said, she is a gorgeous 4 month old now and things seem to have been smooth sailing.

I'm all for dealing with the situation as the situation requires, so I'll see what happens with my little boy!

We started using one with H when he was about a week old, otherwide he'd quite happily be attached to my nipple 24/7! Now hes nearly 18 months, he only has it for bed and sometimes not even then.

Nope, I was the pacifier lol!

Copied from babycentre.com for those interested.

Reduce the risk of SID - Offer your baby a pacifier when you put him down to sleep.

Studies show a lower incidence of SIDS among infants who use pacifiers, although experts don't know whether there's a direct cause and effect. Because of the correlation, the AAP suggests that you give your baby a pacifier when putting him down for naps and at bedtime for the first year of life.

You don't have to reinsert the pacifier if your baby drops it once he falls asleep. And there's no need to force your baby to use one if he doesn't take to it. The AAP also cautions that if you're nursing, it's best to wait to offer a pacifier until breastfeeding is well established – usually around three or four weeks after birth.

Iona couldn't use the orthodontic teats, kept spitting them out, I think it's the shape. We switched to the cherry shape and she is great with it. Xx

No I dont use one and nor do my children. lol Just never used them as never needed them. I bed share and breastfeed.

I used them and DS got rid by 11mths. DD is a thumb sucker which I think is worse!

Fin did until he was about 10 months, then wasn't fussed. I didn't really plan on using them, but then decided it was preferable to him sucking his thumb xx

I don't think I will use one when we have a baby except for when it's bed time, my whole family haven't ever used them except for bedtime mainly because in the estate we live everyone else uses them just to keep baby quiet and when it comes to the time of taking them away bam, they will be a nightmare in most cases .. this is the reason most children around my area have so much dental problems, speech problems and emotional attachment problems to the things!!
In the nursery where i work we try not to use them EXCEPT for sleepy time to avoid the above problems they can cause. The only reason i would use one for sleepy time and that's it is because research does show it prevents cot death, they don't know why but it does :thumbup:

For a non-premie, I don't see a reason. If a baby needs to suck, that is what I am for :). A pacifier can reduce your supply, as its the constant sucking that helps build your milk. And I just hate to see a baby get a rubber plug put in his mouth every time he fusses. Just my personal opinion, I course! My two kids never had one, and did great.

LOL! If I had let DD use me as a pacifier the whole time she would have been on my breasts 24/7. She nursed every hour for the first 5 months, I needed a break! Luckily, I had no issues what so ever with my supply!

I agree - my first baby wanted to suckle constantly and was making herself sick from over feeding. When I bought a dummy/pacifier it gave me a better idea of when she wanted fed or just comfort suckle and from this point her weight increased after yoyo-ing for weeks. She gave it to 'dummy fairy' when she was exactly two and never looked back. My second baby never wanted or needed one until she started to cut teeth and she used one for a few months.
They only ever got dummy in their bed or when taking their nap in pram. They were never vertical with a dummy if that makes sense?

I don't use pacifiers. My personal choice is to not use them. As its another habit to break them of.

my daughter hated pacifiers so I never pushed her to use one, but my son would use my boob as a pacifier and he wanted it all the time. He was breast fed but would hunger cry for comfort. He was making me sore and stopping me from looking after my 2 year old as well so I gave him a pacifier and it was a life saver for us both, I say it depends on the kid. I took his away when he reached 2 x

No, I didn't even consider them an option for any of my four children. I didn't want the increased risk of ear infections or the hassle of having to wean them off them or take them away.

The evidence re dummies and SIDS is not clear cut and it's possible the risk is only reduced for FF babies anyway. Also, if you use a dummy and then don't use it one night, there is some evidence that suggests that actually increases the risk of SIDS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->