Does anybody WORK with children?

Kimmer

Mummy to a beautiful baby
Reaction score
Just wondering.

I've got a meeting to sort out a two week work placement in a day care for children.

I have an idea in my head of what it'll be like, just wanna make sure I'm not completely wrong!

Anyone?

I do, but I work with special needs children so its probably going to be a bit different to what you'll be doing.

I am a Nursery Nurse in a private day nursery, might be able to answer some of your questions!

That sounds more like it!

If I was working in a day care, would I need any qualifications before hand?
I was going to do an NVQ in childcare and I've got an up to date first aid certificate.

What kind of things would I be doing?
I'm sure it won't just be sitting around all day!

I was about 2 years old last time I went to a day centre, so I can't really remember what went on.

I'm not sure what to expect!

I'll appreciate any answers and sorry if I sound dumb!

In a nursery you dont need to have anNVQ you can work towards it whilst working there, they help you do it and fund it, its like a working placement while you learn.
Im a nanny so again slightly different to nurserys, I only work with my three charges as opposed to a room with different children in etc. Its hard work and not a great amount of money but i feel like working with children has a lot more positive's and personal rewards than any boring office job!! hope you enjoy it!

That sounds good!

I'm not particularly bothered about earning much, anything is more than job seekers! It seems like the kind of job that is rewarding though.

I wanted to do a study as you work thing so I can get further with it.

Just making sure I'm not gonna be shot down before I get anywhere!

Like purpledahlia said, you can work towards an NVQ while working in a nursery as a trainee, meaning you'll start building up valuable experience. What kind of age range would you like to work with? The work you do will partly depend on the age group, but it certainly wouldn't be sitting around all day, LOL! You would be involved in supporting children's learning, through spontaneous opportunities and helping to implement planning and 'focussed' activities. Maintaining a safe environment is important, so you need to be aware of what's going on all around even when you are focussing on a small group in one area of the room. And obviously building trusting relationships with the children and families is vital. Other responsibilities might include preparing food/supervising mealtimes, nappy changing/toileting, setting up/tidying away activities, paperwork... the list is endless, sorry for the rambling post, but I hope this helps!!!

Tip: Get yourself familiar with the principles of the curriculum... in an interview it's highly likely (even for a trainee position) that they'd ask about your awareness of this.

That's great, thank you!

The age range I'd like to work with would be sort of a few months to 6 years, after that they'll be in schools obviously.

I've got three very hyper nephews that I look after so I am aware of the safety issues and having to have eyes in the back of your head!

I'm not saying I'd be great because of that alone, I think I'd be good in that sort of job. I'll look into everything I need to know before I find a place, then of course my adviser will help me.

I'd like to think I'm easy to get on with, I'd hate to think someone wouldn't trust me with their child!

Now I'm rambling..
Is there anything else I should know?

There are some good early years forums out there, might be worth joining to start getting your head around general issues that might occur, rules and regulations etc.
One I use is very good and there's a section for study, so I'm sure people would answer any questions you have about the NVQs etc. I don't think I can post links but if you PM me I will send you the address if you like.

Not sure what else to say really as every nursery is different, but I think I've given a fairly general overview of what's involved!

I work with 2-5s so if you have any specific questions about that age group, feel free to PM me anytime!

Be aware that they may ask you to get a CRB (criminal records bureau) Disclosure certificate to show that you are ok to work with children.
I'm a primary teacher in Plymouth and at our school, all current staff have to have a new certificate every 3 years, to show that we are safe to be in the school.
Also all of our volunteers and adults who go on trips or work with children need a CRB check done.
Your placement may or may not offer to pay or may not even ask for one but they really should if you are working with young people.

Thanks for all your help :)

I expect to have a CRB check. It'll be fine on that side of things, I've never been in any kind of trouble with anyone, not even a detention in school! Haha

I'll happily pay for one myself.

I definitely feel more informed now.

I've got my meeting on the 22nd of April, so fingers crossed I can get a placement!

Thanks again!

I don't think you will need to pay for your CRB check.
A lot of Childcare these days is paperwork, I have worked in 3 Nurseries and they differed completely, of course me being a boy (at the time, i'm a man now lol) I felt like a bit of an outcast.
Prepare for a lot of bitching as there is a lot of it.
But otherwise there was some placements that were unbeleivably good, and I wish I didn't quit the course. But the reason I left was because of all the paperwork, there was too much, and one particularly rude grandmother that made my life a living hell near the end.
It is very rewarding though. I only did it for two years and got an NVQ level 2 in Childcare

I work in a special needs school and no staff can start until their CRB check has come through and is clear....

Every staff member has or works towards NVQ3 in care and the school pays for everything..

I've worked in after school care, a nanny, a preschool teacher and kindergarten aid. My career is all children. Most rewarding. Most jobs you need at least your cpr certs and background check and finger prints. Aids don't need prior credits. Well in the states they don't. It's just the more credits you have the more money you make.

That's great.

I would have thought there would be bitching, but I can't give up before I've tried.

I've got nothing to hide so I know all checks will come back fine. I'm trying to get my placement sorted out, if I do find it too much then I'll have to look into something else.

I'm not sure what other career I'd be good at :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"