Does England really hate Scotland?

marley2580

Reaction score
I was reading a story about the possibility of not moving the clocks back next year (yes another one of those stories), and how the Scots were against it. So many of the comments below the story from people in England, were really hostile towards Scotland.

This is something I'm seeing more and more often in the comments sections of newspaper websites. So I was just wondering if it's true that the vast majority of England wants Scotland to leave the Union, and if so, why?

Why are the scottish against scrapping the clock change???

^^ Because we are further north, not having the time change would leave us in darkness till around 10-11am during the winter.

If it was on the Daily Fail you were reading about it, I wouldn't take the comments to heart - no-one on there can say anything nice about anything!

That story was, but I've been seeing it elsewhere as well - including the BBC website. It just seems to be a recurring theme - England should get a say on Scotland becoming independent, England should stop giving Scotland so much money, there's more people in England so the scots shouldn't get a special say, English MPs should get a say on Scottish matters, etc etc etc.

I live in Northumberland if anything I would rather be part of Scotland than England.

I think we are part of 'the forgotten north'

dark until 10/11am ........thats crazy.....when does it start to get dark in Scotland in the winter??? when the clocks go back down south its dark by 4ish xxx

dark until 10/11am ........thats crazy.....when does it start to get dark in Scotland in the winter??? when the clocks go back down south its dark by 4ish xxx

Now that the clocks have gone back it was light by 7ish, but the sun will set at 4:30 pm. In december, the sun rises at 8:45am and sets at 3:30pm. These are the times for where I live, further north the sun sets about 3pm, and in Shetland the sun rises at 9:12am and sets at 2:53pm.

So you can imagine that changing the clocks would have quite an impact in Scotland

Thats because they are trollish on the daily fail page they hate everyone and anything. I dare read comments for the amount of ignorance and arrogance is astounding.

Now that the clocks have gone back it was light by 7ish, but the sun will set at 4:30 pm. In december, the sun rises at 8:45am and sets at 3:30pm. These are the times for where I live, further north the sun sets about 3pm, and in Shetland the sun rises at 9:12am and sets at 2:53pm.

So you can imagine that changing the clocks would have quite an impact in Scotland

:thumbup: Well i can see why people up north are against scrapping the clock changes as i would be to, i think thats a good enough reason for us down south to just deal with it every year like we have done as always..........if you have read horrible comments from English they are probably the few inconsiderate idiots we have down here, i'm pretty sure you have some of those in scotland to.......i dont hate scotland or the scottish xxxx

I dont hate scotland. Have never known anyone to have a negative opinion on scotland.

The Fail readers have nothing nice to say about anyone or anything. Ever. I read the comments when I need reminding that I am a nice, rational person. I commented on something once, because I was so outraged at the thinly veiled racist comments, and got called a 'left wing loony' amongst other things...was great, so much abuse!

Anyway, I love Scotland. And to expect anyone to want to have about three hours light a day is ridiculous...

I hate Scotland :haha:

seriously though this is something i am used to.. i'm not Scottish(my grandparents are tho) i wasn't born in Scotland, but i do live in VERY Scottish town, for example we are the only town outside of Scotland and london to have two church of Scotland churches, we have a highland gathering, and the largest rangers club outside of glasgow!

i just checked on wiki and apparently 18% of the town are Scottish and a third of the town are "scottish descent"
:haha:

so although i don't live in Scotland i have always picked up on a general negative feeling! tbh tho its usually mutual! and mostly a bit of a joke more then anything serious.

i don't think i sound anything like scottish seeing as tho i live in the Midlands! but people often comment on my "Scottish" accent, and often i have been at the receiving end of a "when is Scotland gunna fuck off and get its own currency/pay their own Education/prescription fees" or what ever else they can think of too say thats entirely ridiculous.:dohh:

Tbh I dont see the problem with changing the clocks I mean most if digital update them selfs.. I never even remember when its ment to happen, My phone etc all change by themselfs..

As to hate for Scotland I dont hate it but I guess some do and they have "their reasons" I always remmeber being told "If we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place"

I always thought it was the Scottish that hated the English (obviously speaking generally here) not the other way around!

I think it works both ways, I've met english people who do hate the scots for reason I don't understand. But my ex was from loch lomond area originally and everytime I went up I'd get a lot of abuse for having an english accent. I think there might be an underlying historic rivalry that happened way before our times. And its obviously still lingered with our generation

I read the BBC article and comments and the impression I got was simply that people were upset that Scotland had the sole deciding say about whether or not the change would be implemented across the UK. It works both ways though, it would be just as annoying for the Scots if someone in London had the casting vote in plunging them into darkness for most of the morning. Either way someone is making decisions that may negatively affect people living at the opposite end of the island and that can ruffle feathers.

Tbh I dont see the problem with changing the clocks I mean most if digital update them selfs.. I never even remember when its ment to happen, My phone etc all change by themselfs..

A"

It is nothing do with actually physicall changing the clocks but the fact that when they do, there are large areas in Scotland which will have only a few hours of daylight.

In Scotland there is a long history of people in London making decisions which impact negatively on Scotald but who were not voted in by the population as a whole. That is a reason many people want independence. Our education, justice and health systens have always been different and many people want that expanded to other areas of life now.

I actually wonder if the negative comments made by English people on these sites is stemming from jealousy. Scotland has a lot of things now that England doesn't due to the way the Scottish govt has allocated it's budget - eg free prescriptions, free higher education etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->