Does England really hate Scotland?

There's plenty of negative comments from Scotland towards England, it works both ways. I'm all for Scotland being independent then you can make your own decisions re clocks without England having any say.

There's plenty of negative comments from Scotland towards England, it works both ways. I'm all for Scotland being independent then you can make your own decisions re clocks without England having any say.

I think in this particular instance, it would have to be a national decision. Don't know how it would work if we were an hour ahead/behind - it would make life very confusing.

I live in Scotland and I honestly don't think we should be independent - we are meant to be part of the United Kingdom therefore I feel we should be exactly that

But the total number of daylight hours is the same, just an hour earlier. No-one's stealing an hour of sunlight, just moving it!

The only problem I have with Scotland is regarding the parliament (I say this as as ex-politics student). Why should Scottish MPs who sit in Westminster be able to vote on issues that only affect England, when English MPs get no say in what goes on in Scotland? Why should Scotland be able to decide it wants to spend taxes that are taken on a UK level in subsidising universities, prescriptions and care homes, when England is told it can't afford them? If Scotland wants to decide how its taxes are spent, then it should take their own and not cream off UK-wide taxes to benefit the relatively few people who live in Scotland. It does seem the MSPs want to have their cake and eat it - Salmond knows Scotland is dealt a very good hand by England, but he harps on about independence to gain votes.

Just seems unfair, somehow.

Scotland as a country though is lovely :) We have family up there

Ah but give us independence and we won't have any say in Westminster matters ;-) We have elected a government who prioritised free education and so on. We pay tax too. Most Scots would be quite happy for Scottish MPs not to vote on English only matters.

But the total number of daylight hours is the same, just an hour earlier. No-one's stealing an hour of sunlight, just moving it!

The only problem I have with Scotland is regarding the parliament (I say this as as ex-politics student). Why should Scottish MPs who sit in Westminster be able to vote on issues that only affect England, when English MPs get no say in what goes on in Scotland? Why should Scotland be able to decide it wants to spend taxes that are taken on a UK level in subsidising universities, prescriptions and care homes, when England is told it can't afford them? If Scotland wants to decide how its taxes are spent, then it should take their own and not cream off UK-wide taxes to benefit the relatively few people who live in Scotland. It does seem the MSPs want to have their cake and eat it - Salmond knows Scotland is dealt a very good hand by England, but he harps on about independence to gain votes.

Just seems unfair, somehow.

Scotland as a country though is lovely :) We have family up there

Scotland actually raises more money in revenue than it is given in the budget. I really don't understand why people get their backs up about Scotland having it's own parliament, they had a referendum in England to see if they wanted an English parliament and no one even bothered voting!

Scotland has always (since the union of 1707) had separate legal, education and health systems so nothing's changed except we get to vote for our own govt who implements policies that we want, rather than having to go along with what the rest of the UK votes for.

TBH I think a lot more Scots have English problems more than they do with us. IDK why, probably stems from william wallace time :roll:

lol they been watching too much brave heart ! lol x

Taxes are collected and go into a UK wide pot. England, Wales and NI all have to agree, but Scotland gets to pick and choose what it does and doesn't like?

Scottish MPs voted for tuition fees in England, but MSPs voted to keep uni free in Scotland. They either should have abstained from the England vote, or been bound by westminster's decision.

But NI and Wales are also given budgets to allocate as they see fit.

I actually agree that Scottish MPs shouldn't vote on English matters, but then I think England should have it's own parliament where English only matters are decided and Westminster should only be for UK wide issues.

On the tuition fees issue, that was the SNP that voted for that - none of whom vote on English issues as a matter of principle.

TBH I think a lot more Scots have English problems more than they do with us. IDK why, probably stems from william wallace time :roll:

I agree, but it's always been the same. It really does seem, to me, that since devolution more and more English people think that Scotland should be kicked out of the union, and I just wonder why.

I actually agree that Scottish MPs shouldn't vote on English matters, but then I think England should have it's own parliament where English only matters are decided and Westminster should only be for UK wide issues.

On the tuition fees issue, that was the SNP that voted for that - none of whom vote on English issues as a matter of principle.

But labour MPs with seats in Scotland did. I think the welsh assembly is a good halfway house, but the scottish parliament seems to have all of the benefits of an independent state but none of the responsibility. Just doesn't sit right in my mind from a democratic stand point.

Gordon Brown obviously voted on English issues, but his seat is in Scotland.

I agree, but it's always been the same. It really does seem, to me, that since devolution more and more English people think that Scotland should be kicked out of the union, and I just wonder why.

I think that it is as bad on both sides of the Border tbh. Both OH and I have lived in England, in quite a few different areas and have both had the 'Scottish hate' directed at us. Or 'Jock' hate which seems to be the insult of choice in many places.

But labour MPs with seats in Scotland did. I think the welsh assembly is a good halfway house, but the scottish parliament seems to have all of the benefits of an independent state but none of the responsibility. Just doesn't sit right in my mind from a democratic stand point.

In what way do you mean 'none of the responsibility'? they are accountable to their voters, as are MPs. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Labour MSPs also voted to keep tuition fees up here, only they were defeated.

In what way do you mean 'none of the responsibility'? they are accountable to their voters, as are MPs. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the Labour MSPs also voted to keep tuition fees up here, only they were defeated.

They don't have to take decisions that would be unpopular, they don't seem to have to consider the financial implications of their decisions.

If Scotland had a separate taxation system and they had to budget for themselves, I think that would be preferable.

It's not really an issue I'm overly passionate about-I don't lose sleep because of it! It's just that, thinking about it, it seems a little bit of a strange set-up!

Don't get me started on the EU! :winkwink:

:haha:

i love braveheart.........i wanted to be a Scot after watching it :haha:

They don't have to take decisions that would be unpopular, they don't seem to have to consider the financial implications of their decisions.

If Scotland had a separate taxation system and they had to budget for themselves, I think that would be preferable.

It's not really an issue I'm overly passionate about-I don't lose sleep because of it! It's just that, thinking about it, it seems a little bit of a strange set-up!

See I think some of this must be the fault of the English media putting out that Scotland is living the life of riley up here, all paid for by English taxes. There have been cuts made here, just not the same ones as down south. Also there are some taxes being introduced that aren't down south - eg minimum alcohol pricing.

Taxes are collected and go into a UK wide pot. England, Wales and NI all have to agree, but Scotland gets to pick and choose what it does and doesn't like?

Scottish MPs voted for tuition fees in England, but MSPs voted to keep uni free in Scotland. They either should have abstained from the England vote, or been bound by westminster's decision.

Nope! Wales have its own parliment and do different things with our money, we have perserptions for example and have for many more years than what Scotland has. tution fees are different here, and generally, we do "pick and choose" what we like and dont like. We are much more linked with England than what scotland is, but we do have different allocations of money.

But they do make "unpopular decisions"... Scotland was the first to ban smoking in pubs, that def didnt go down well at all at first, then wales, im guessing england has by now but Scotland were years in advance of making that decision.

Nope! Wales have its own parliment and do different things with our money, we have perserptions for example and have for many more years than what Scotland has. tution fees are different here, and generally, we do "pick and choose" what we like and dont like. We are much more linked with England than what scotland is, but we do have different allocations of money.

Wales has an assembly. It has no powers regarding taxation, I believe.

Wales has an assembly. It has no powers regarding taxation, I believe.

yep, no powers over taxation, is that your argument thoigh, because it sounded more about what we choose to use and not. As for Scotland, yes they do have the powers of taxation, but last i understood it they havent used them, tax is the same in Scotland that it is here and there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->