Does England really hate Scotland?

Taxes are collected and go into a UK wide pot. England, Wales and NI all have to agree, but Scotland gets to pick and choose what it does and doesn't like?

Scottish MPs voted for tuition fees in England, but MSPs voted to keep uni free in Scotland. They either should have abstained from the England vote, or been bound by westminster's decision.

Nope! Wales have its own parliment and do different things with our money, we have perserptions for example and have for many more years than what Scotland has. tution fees are different here, and generally, we do "pick and choose" what we like and dont like. We are much more linked with England than what scotland is, but we do have different allocations of money.

Wales has an assembly. It has no powers regarding taxation, I believe.

yep, no powers over taxation, is that your argument thoigh, because it sounded more about what we choose to use and not. As for Scotland, yes they do have the powers of taxation, but last i understood it they havent used them, tax is the same in Scotland that it is here and there.

I don't really have a problem with Scotland, just the parliament seems not to know what it's responsibilities are and aren't. It was all part of new labour's devolution plan-they wanted a separate assembly for Yorkshire!

I don't really have strong opinions on it, I just remember thinking that it seemed an interesting set-up when we were studying it in a-levels.

There was more to it than I've posted, I just can't remember the detail.

I don't agree with that Patch2006uk. I think the Parliament are very clear on what their role is. They are just, on the whole, keen to extend their remit. Living here I think that there is a clearly defined role and no confusion regarding what they are responsible for.

I don't agree with that Patch2006uk. I think the Parliament are very clear on what their role is. They are just, on the whole, keen to extend their remit. Living here I think that there is a clearly defined role and no confusion regarding what they are responsible for.

I totally agree. Under devolution there are certain powers that have been reserved to Westminster, the Scottish Parliament has power over everything else.

I don't think our parliament are confused either. I think it works very well and successfully tbh. I wish we had a diff leader of the SNP though, I hate that trout face and I also hate miss 'i love glasgow' sturgeon :growlmad:

I have a soft spot for Big Eck Blah! Having grown up in a house where the SNP of the 70s and 80s frequented he is a breath of fresh air( in more ways than one:-S ).

I always thought it was the other way round...

I have no bad feelings against scotland and on this subject i can totally understand why they are opposed

i agree with Blah11, marley2580 and indy and lara.

I think is a far better system and its def not confusied by its role. my husband is scottish we moved back to wales as my family needed support and i needed support, my in-laws were really unsupportive.

Anyway, we talk about moving back all the time and my parents will come too, we prefer life there, attitudes are different, perhaps is just the area we were in but life just felt cleaner and more relaxed.

I have a soft spot for Big Eck Blah! Having grown up in a house where the SNP of the 70s and 80s frequented he is a breath of fresh air( in more ways than one:-S ).

Honestly I just cant stand his face/voice LOL

This is much more eloquent than I've been
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Lothian_question

I also think the confused role problem is actually a criticism of the EU and the set up of the executive and legislature within it, so I will happily take back any comments to that effect :flower:

I think the current solution is imperfect. If you look at the link about the numbers of MPs who voted through some controversial legislation (tuition fees, hospital trusts), it's literally 5 votes that swung the decision, and if Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs hadn't been included in the votes, the bills wouldn't have been passed.

As an American in Scotland, I find it all hilarious and I want to paint my face blue and moon people :rofl:

I dont hate the Scottish and have not heard negative about them, other than reading keyboard warriors.

I wanted the clocks to not be turned back but I didnt know the implications that this would have on Scotland, so can completely understand why they would not want it to get dark at 1.53pm

I dont think its fair the say 'english' everyones opinions different. For me I dont hate scotland :) I think its beautiful... my only negative comment towards it is my jealousy!! Your 'goverment' (not sure if thats the right phrase) seem to give you everything, free prescriptions, fighting for the NHS, free education and people who need them still get benifits. But from what i've heard its the UK tax payers that fund it? I'm not against you scotland, I think its wonderful that your goverment is looking after you so well... jsut wish ours would do them same. p.s. I dont care about the clock changes so have no opinion.

our benefit system is just the same as yours

I dont think its fair the say 'english' everyones opinions different. For me I dont hate scotland :) I think its beautiful... my only negative comment towards it is my jealousy!! Your 'goverment' (not sure if thats the right phrase) seem to give you everything, free prescriptions, fighting for the NHS, free education and people who need them still get benifits. But from what i've heard its the UK tax payers that fund it? I'm not against you scotland, I think its wonderful that your goverment is looking after you so well... jsut wish ours would do them same. p.s. I dont care about the clock changes so have no opinion.

But they pay taxes too! So i dont see the issue, Its not like the rest of the UK is paying taxes for scotland to have what they do, they pay taxes, and given the great economy Scotland have you could say the Scottish are paying for English peoples NHS treatment etc.

Wales does exactly the same, but in our case of economy is no where near as strong so yes other countries are supporting is in a way.

But the way it works here is we are given a pot of money, just like england and i guess its based on population, but im not sure, and we sometimes allocate the money differently to how England have. I think Scotland is the same, I think they allocate the money differently and rightly so because all our needs are different.

Ive lived in Scotland (husband is scottish and my son was born there) but im welsh, lived here all my life and she are back here now (for the time being). But the way of life, the needs of the people etc are way different, so obviously money is allocated differently.

“Groundskeeper Willie: It won't last. Brothers and sisters are natural enemies. Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!
Principal Skinner: You Scots sure are a contentious people.
Groundskeeper Willie: You just made an enemy for life!”
~ Groundskeeper Willie on Bart & Lisa's friendship

^^ :haha: nicely said, as usual! It's a bit petty on both sides really, we should support one another, there's worse things going on in the grand scheme of things :winkwink:

I am not sure that the call for independence is anything to do with being petty tbh.

When I read threads like these I am always amazed that people don't realise that we have the same tax and benefit system in both countries.

I was saying that both seemingly hating one another is petty IMO, my comment was nothing to do with independence or not.

Fair enough. Don't think that is one of the good comments from Groundskeeper Willie tbh.

In all honesty I don't think that the vast majority of people in Scotland dislike the English and vice versa . There are always a few who will be the exception but the majority have more sense. I think that a wish for independence/ pride in a the culture (of both countries)/ sports etc are often interpreted as 'hate' for the others when this is not the case at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->