Drugging babies to fly..

not for kids it isn't, my son has food and allergies to amoxicillin, he was given bendryll because the penecillin brought him out in a rash with flu symptoms . The doctor told me when he prescribed it to ONLY use what was needed and warned of all the side effects such as headaches, sickness, upset tummy and drowsiness.

as for cough medicine that's even worse...

Treating children
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has recommended that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines shouldn't be given to children under the age of six.
The MHRA is the government body responsible for ensuring that medicines are safe and effective.
The agency has made this recommendation because it feels there's a potential risk of these medicines causing unpleasant side effects, such as allergic reactions, sleep problems or hallucinations (seeing and hearing things that aren't real). These would outweigh any benefit provided by the medicines.
Instead, give your child a warm drink of lemon and honey or a simple cough syrup that contains glycerol or honey.
However, honey shouldn't be given to babies under the age of one, due to the risk of infant botulism.
For more information, see News: child cold medicines Q&A.

Benadryl is not a cough or cold medicine. It is primarily an allergy medication. It's secondary uses are as a sleep aid and anxiety drug.

And yes, it is safe. What you listed off are side effects, not allergic reactions. Not everyone will experience those side effects. They can be annoying, but they aren't dangerous.

read my post properly before replying... I said Benydryll is an anti allergy medication!!

I think hallucinations and possible allergic reactions during a flight is pretty good enouh reason not to do it. If you cant control your child to the point where you need o drig them up that makes you a pretty poor parent imo[/QUOTE]

wow...just wow...

as I said in my first post we used to live in norway and would take two flights each way to england and back to visit family when my children were babies. Yeh take calpol for popped ears ect but calpol makes mine hyper lol.. I found breast feeding on take offs and landings helped to relax them and helped their ears pop we had dummies too and when they got older something to suck helped loads.

As I said when the dr gave my son benydryll he told me under no circumstances should it be given if it wasnt needed.. one dose was enough to cause my son an upset tummy.. thats really not what you need on an airplane.

cough medicine is not given to kids under six anymore because it causes allergies and hallucinations.

what I meant by drugging your kids to behave on a flight to pacify them so you dont have the embarrassment of a crying or over excited child was that if you knew how to handle that situation you shouldnt need to drug up your kid with allergy and cough medicines.

babies dont care where they are as long as they have food and warmth ect being a plane is no different to them being on a bus.

I'm sorry your son experienced an upset stomach with Benadryl but to be honest this is the first time I've heard of someone having that kind of issue. Here in the US pediatricians recommend Benadryl quite often as it's one of the oldest and safest antihistamines out there. I've personally given it to my daughter several times because of her eczema and she's never experienced any negative side effects whatsoever.

And it's great that you have kids who are easily distracted and who don't care about being in crowds, but you're wrong to assume that all children are like that. Many high-needs babies are easily overstimulated so being on an airplane surrounded by lots of people and noise for hours can be an extremely overwhelming and stressful experience for them. I don't think anyone on here said they would drug their kids because they didn't want to be embarrassed in front of strangers.

what I meant by drugging your kids to behave on a flight to pacify them so you dont have the embarrassment of a crying or over excited child was that if you knew how to handle that situation you shouldnt need to drug up your kid with allergy and cough medicines

babies dont care where they are as long as they have food and warmth ect being a plane is no different to them being on a bus.

I believe this is where we have differences. My LO most definitely did care that she was on a plane. It's a new environment, strangers pressed in closely, and and lots of new sensations and sounds. That can be scary to a baby old enough to realize what's going on.

How exactly would you handle a terrified baby that isn't responding to cuddles, bottles, familiar toys and blankets, and mom and dad's every effort to soothe her? Anxiety is a medical condition that does sometimes require treatment. Our doctor not only advised giving it to her, she figured the correct dose based on her weight.

Seriously what's the difference between this and a dose of calpol at bedtime cause the kids teething?

When I flew, the flight was only 1.5 hours, it made my ears pop and my head hurt... I wish I had thought of taking paracetamol with me!!!
Personally though... how about just don't fly... try spending that money on your kid instead of wasting it just so you can sit on your ass at a beach...

:dohh:

Firstly, holidays can actually include kids y'know? Whilst i sit my ass on the beach my daughter has the best time building sandcastles etc.

Secondly, holidays aren't the only reason to fly. Shockingly, some actually take their children on educational trips or to meet family.

Thirdly, calpol is for pain. How about you cut some teeth with no pain medication?

I wouldn't do this, but i know and understand the circumstances why some parents do.

But y'know, you seem to be the authority on this.

:coffee:

As I said when the dr gave my son benydryll he told me under no circumstances should it be given if it wasnt needed.. babies.

So how do you define "needed"? A child who is literally anxious, overstimulated and traumatized by flying, but the trip is a necessity doesn't "need" any help?

Have you met my kid? That is a really ridiculous statement. With a sensitive, high-needs baby, their environment absolutely makes a difference. They DO care where they are. My daughter is easily freaked out by a huge crowd of peole and loud noises. In addition, you've got the stale air, change in pressure and extreme confinement on a plane. Very different environment than a bus. I've traveled extensively in my life and the experiences don't compare for me, so why would they for a baby?

I did a 9.5 hour flight with my daughter at 2.5 months, and we had 2 hours at our countries airport, than another 4 hours in Germany waiting for my husbands sister. I would NEVER ever drug her. That's dumb, and whats the point?

Okay... I need to edit this, I don't mean for this to come off wrong to anyone WHO Has.. This just personally isn't for us.

As I said above I habent ever done this, but I believe its totally different with a little older babies. I flew with my sin st 10 weeks and at 13 months and will again in may. 10 weeks was s dream. They are little and sleep and nurse the whole time....13 month plane tide was way different and miserable. He didn't sleep all day and the plane was full capacity

I agree. A 2/3month old baby has very little idea of where they are and can very easily be pacified with a feed/cuddle.
A scared 15month old who wants to run around whilst the seat belt sign is on is a completely different matter. If the plane is full you might have a very small space to keep them entertained in. They will also be overtired, possibly in pain from earache, overstimulated etc.

And to the person who said they would drive instead? Having done both I would say a 2hr flight to Italy is infinitely preferable to a 24hr drive.

No way in hell would I drive if I could fly! We drove to my sisters 12 hours away a few weeks ago.....so bad my Mon booked me and my son a flight back home that was crazy expensive. Both are very stressful. He was upset, i was on edge trying to keep him happy while sitting in very small space. Worst trip ever.

Plus its not like they are giving them night quil :rofl: but I never thought to give them medication. I probably will do that next month when flying to Chicago.

not for kids it isn't, my son has food and allergies to amoxicillin, he was given bendryll because the penecillin brought him out in a rash with flu symptoms . The doctor told me when he prescribed it to ONLY use what was needed and warned of all the side effects such as headaches, sickness, upset tummy and drowsiness.

Treating children
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has recommended that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines shouldn't be given to children under the age of six.
The MHRA is the government body responsible for ensuring that medicines are safe and effective.
The agency has made this recommendation because it feels there's a potential risk of these medicines causing unpleasant side effects, such as allergic reactions, sleep problems or hallucinations (seeing and hearing things that aren't real). These would outweigh any benefit provided by the medicines.
Instead, give your child a warm drink of lemon and honey or a simple cough syrup that contains glycerol or honey.
However, honey shouldn't be given to babies under the age of one, due to the risk of infant botulism.

Benadryl is not a cough or cold medicine. It is primarily an allergy medication. It's secondary uses are as a sleep aid and anxiety drug.

And yes, it is safe. What you listed off are side effects, not allergic reactions. Not everyone will experience those side effects. They can be annoying, but they aren't dangerous.

read my post properly before replying... I said Benydryll is an anti allergy medication!!

I think hallucinations and possible allergic reactions during a flight is pretty good enouh reason not to do it. If you cant control your child to the point where you need o drig them up that makes you a pretty poor parent imo[/QUOTE]

wow...just wow...

I truly hope your statement in bold is a joke. You are kidding, right?

So a sensitive child that's upset by a new and uncomfortable experience is the result of poor parenting?

If you sincerely mean this, I'm sorry, but I hope your next baby is high needs so you know how it feels.

Treating children

wow...just wow...

So a sensitive child that's upset by a new and uncomfortable experience is the result of poor parenting?

If you sincerely mean this, I'm sorry, but I hope your next baby is high needs so you know how it feels.

that wasn't my statement...it didn't quote correctly...ukgirl made that statement and fyi my daughter is high needs...I'm the one a few pages ago that wrote hell yea I would...

Treating children

wow...just wow...

that wasn't my statement...it didn't quote correctly...ukgirl made that statement and fyi my daughter is high needs...I'm the one a few pages ago that wrote hell yea I would...

Oh it wasn't directed at you :) Just echoing your thoughts!

I think some people truly don't understand what it's like to have a high needs or easily overstimulated baby. You have to parent differently. Saying that anxiety is a parental control issue is insane. You can't convince a baby not to be scared of an environment that scares plenty of adults.

I think some people truly don't understand what it's like to have a high needs or easily overstimulated baby. You have to parent differently. Saying that anxiety is a parental control issue is insane. You can't convince a baby not to be scared of an environment that scares plenty of adults.

It's true. I don't begrudge any parent for not having a high needs kid. What gets me is the judgement or the implication that my child is sensitive because I'm doing something wrong or I can't control her.

I can basically eat whatever I want and not gain weight. That doesn't mean I go around exclaiming that heavier folks lack in self control. Just because you don't experience something personally doesn't mean you can't have empathy. It's called perspective.

i have given my daughter a dose of tylenol when we flew. she was 7 months and the doctor recommended it in case her ears popped

I don't even have a particularly high needs baby, but overtired, bright lights, earache? - She'd be distressed. I would give her Benadryl if it was prescribed by a doctor and I thought it would help keep her calm. I've been on flights where the seatbelt sign has been on te whole time. A tiny baby will just sleep and feed and not know where she is. A 1 year old can get very upset if you don't remove them from a situation they don't want to be in - and sometimes on a plane you just can't!

Oh and "poor parenting", you really are setting yourself up for a fall - no-one's perfect.

i gave my son some calpol before take of when coming home from cyprus...as on the way there he screamed when we took off...even with giving him bottle/dummy...so he was obvious is pain and i wanted to prevent that...dont see that as druggin my baby to get a easier life or why that wud make me a bad parent??

i know loads of ppl who have been advised to give calpol on flights....didnt realise any would think down upon it...??

Anyone who thinks that a parent is at fault for a bonkers high needs baby has never met my two boys.... you'd swear Philippe was already doped up on some sort of narcotic because he will just lay there and stare for an hour :D Alex... well, his choice of drug was clearly amphetamines of some sort. Bottom line- same mom, same parenting, two completely different kids.

So many comments in this thread are just insane.

I really don't know where I stand on the issue because I haven't flown with my LO yet. But I do know that she's very easily overstimulated (better than she used to be, but still sometimes a problem) and I can't imagine it's a fun situation for anyone, ESPECIALLY the baby, if they are really upset and can't be removed from the situation. As with anything, it's a matter of weighing up benefits vs. perceived risks, and I think if the baby is inconsolable and having a meltdown, some medicine could be the answer.

But it's not something I'd do without knowing how she acted on the plane. I think if your kid is okay and manageable there's no reason to give them anything "just because".

ukgirl and whoever made the brilliant comment about "sitting your ass at the beach"...just SMH at you two.

Treating children

wow...just wow...

God forbid if her next baby is a total beast. Most ridiculous comment I've seen on here. The balls of some people I swear!

Seriously what's the difference between this and a dose of calpol at bedtime cause the kids teething?

When I flew, the flight was only 1.5 hours, it made my ears pop and my head hurt... I wish I had thought of taking paracetamol with me!!!
Personally though... how about just don't fly... try spending that money on your kid instead of wasting it just so you can sit on your ass at a beach...

Not all of us fly for beach holiday, some of us live half a world away from our families, literally, besides being on an island in the middle of the Pacific.

Sit on my ass at a beach, that sounds fantastic. My husband's job relocated us to bitter cold (it was -40C) Quebec and we had 4 days to purchase a house, it was a FANTASTIC vacation with a teething 8 month old.

Unless I should just buy a house online without looking at it first, lol. eBay!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->