Drugging babies to fly..

Benadryl is an antihistamine used to treat serious allergic reactions. If you had a reaction to the dyes or filler ingredients in Benadryl (which is extremely rare), the active medication (diphenhydramine) would already be in your system fighting it. You are much more likely to have an allergic reaction to Tylenol, the peanuts on the plane, or the perfume of the woman sitting next to you. It's one of the safest medications on the market.

not for kids it isn't, my son has food and allergies to amoxicillin, he was given bendryll because the penecillin brought him out in a rash with flu symptoms . The doctor told me when he prescribed it to ONLY use what was needed and warned of all the side effects such as headaches, sickness, upset tummy and drowsiness.

as for cough medicine that's even worse...

Treating children
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has recommended that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines shouldn't be given to children under the age of six.
The MHRA is the government body responsible for ensuring that medicines are safe and effective.
The agency has made this recommendation because it feels there's a potential risk of these medicines causing unpleasant side effects, such as allergic reactions, sleep problems or hallucinations (seeing and hearing things that aren't real). These would outweigh any benefit provided by the medicines.
Instead, give your child a warm drink of lemon and honey or a simple cough syrup that contains glycerol or honey.
However, honey shouldn't be given to babies under the age of one, due to the risk of infant botulism.
For more information, see News: child cold medicines Q&A.

not for kids it isn't, my son has food and allergies to amoxicillin, he was given bendryll because the penecillin brought him out in a rash with flu symptoms . The doctor told me when he prescribed it to ONLY use what was needed and warned of all the side effects such as headaches, sickness, upset tummy and drowsiness.

Treating children
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) has recommended that over-the-counter cough and cold medicines shouldn't be given to children under the age of six.
The MHRA is the government body responsible for ensuring that medicines are safe and effective.
The agency has made this recommendation because it feels there's a potential risk of these medicines causing unpleasant side effects, such as allergic reactions, sleep problems or hallucinations (seeing and hearing things that aren't real). These would outweigh any benefit provided by the medicines.
Instead, give your child a warm drink of lemon and honey or a simple cough syrup that contains glycerol or honey.
However, honey shouldn't be given to babies under the age of one, due to the risk of infant botulism.

Benadryl is not a cough or cold medicine. It is primarily an allergy medication. It's secondary uses are as a sleep aid and anxiety drug.

And yes, it is safe. What you listed off are side effects, not allergic reactions. Not everyone will experience those side effects. They can be annoying, but they aren't dangerous.

I don't really know much about how you drug a baby to get on a plane and have never done it, but I have to drink to get on one myself as i'm a really bad flyer (not wasted obviously but a good 3-4 G&Ts). Don't really see the big deal - rather be slightly intoxicated then inconsolable in a tin can flying through the sky.

I'll be another baddie and admit I would have/would do it. Eamon was hell the one time we flew cross country and I would never subject him, myself or the rest of the plane to his behaviour again.

Treating children

Benadryl is not a cough or cold medicine. It is primarily an allergy medication. It's secondary uses are as a sleep aid and anxiety drug.

And yes, it is safe. What you listed off are side effects, not allergic reactions. Not everyone will experience those side effects. They can be annoying, but they aren't dangerous.

read my post properly before replying... I said Benydryll is an anti allergy medication!!

I think hallucinations and possible allergic reactions during a flight is pretty good enouh reason not to do it. If you cant control your child to the point where you need o drig them up that makes you a pretty poor parent imo

Did your kid get any negative side effects? The only side effect I've heard of is drowsyness...

read my post properly before replying... I said Benydryll is an anti allergy medication!!

I think hallucinations and possible allergic reactions during a flight is pretty good enouh reason not to do it. If you cant control your child to the point where you need o drig them up that makes you a pretty poor parent imo

I don't know how to explain this without getting into medical jargon, but it is nearly impossible to have an allergic reaction to Benadryl. If you do, it's not to the drug itself, but to the fillers. Diphenhydramine, the primary ingredient in Benadryl, is what every doctor, paramedic, nurse, and other medical professionals use to TREAT allergic reactions. You know what they are going to give your child in the extremely rare case that they have an allergy to it? A different form of Benadryl.

Hallucinations are also extremely rare. They're more associated with overdoses. Also, I see that you are in the UK. We take half the dose over here that you do there.

As for your poor parenting jab, if you think that relieving a child's severe anxiety is bad parenting, then go right ahead and call me a bad parent. It's not about controlling your child. My baby was terrified, and Benadryl relieved that and allowed her flight to be far less traumatic.

Did your kid get any negative side effects? The only side effect I've heard of is drowsyness...

She was drowsy and then slept for the rest of the flight. It didn't have any side effects other then that. The side effect in kids that you have to watch is that in about ten percent of them it can make them hyper instead of sleepy. Either way it would relieve the anxiety so I risked it because I'd rather have a hyper but not stressed baby then a terrified one.

Sorry that was directed towards ukgirl23, I've taken benadryl to help myself sleep many times, and would have no problem giving to my lo if needed, I've never heard of anyone actually having side effects from it

I never said the benydryll gives allergic reactions I said the cough medicines do... I said the benydryll causes tummy upset and headaches and yes it did do that to my son... it gave him the shits and he felt sick.. he took it for an allergy to penicillin.

Not to overstate the obvious here, but if you're a responsible parent you will likely try your kid out on the medication prior to flying.

It's very uncommon for children to have an allergic reaction to benadryl. I'm not saying it's never happened, but I think that argument is really grasping at straws.

Again, not advocating for drugging your kid so they will shut up. But if the child is going to be traumatized by the experience, it may be worth considering since the medication is really quite mild.

I'm probably going to regret saying this, but I imagine it's very easy to judge if you've never had a high needs baby. Not all babies are created equal.

I never said the benydryll gives allergic reactions I said the cough medicines do... I said the benydryll causes tummy upset and headaches and yes it did do that to my son... it gave him the shits and he felt sick.. he took it for an allergy to penicillin.

That would be unpleasant on a long flight! I can see why you are firmly in the no camp :)

Seriously what's the difference between this and a dose of calpol at bedtime cause the kids teething?

When I flew, the flight was only 1.5 hours, it made my ears pop and my head hurt... I wish I had thought of taking paracetamol with me!!!
Personally though... how about just don't fly... try spending that money on your kid instead of wasting it just so you can sit on your ass at a beach...

Personally though... how about just don't fly... try spending that money on your kid instead of wasting it just so you can sit on your ass at a beach...

We were taking her to see her grandparents that she had last seen the day after she was born. She was also seeing her great grandmother for the first and last time since she was terminally ill.

Seriously what's the difference between this and a dose of calpol at bedtime cause the kids teething?

When I flew, the flight was only 1.5 hours, it made my ears pop and my head hurt... I wish I had thought of taking paracetamol with me!!!

Yeah, because that's the Only reason people take airplanes places... :rolleyes:

as I said in my first post we used to live in norway and would take two flights each way to england and back to visit family when my children were babies. Yeh take calpol for popped ears ect but calpol makes mine hyper lol.. I found breast feeding on take offs and landings helped to relax them and helped their ears pop we had dummies too and when they got older something to suck helped loads.

As I said when the dr gave my son benydryll he told me under no circumstances should it be given if it wasnt needed.. one dose was enough to cause my son an upset tummy.. thats really not what you need on an airplane.

cough medicine is not given to kids under six anymore because it causes allergies and hallucinations.

what I meant by drugging your kids to behave on a flight to pacify them so you dont have the embarrassment of a crying or over excited child was that if you knew how to handle that situation you shouldnt need to drug up your kid with allergy and cough medicines.

babies dont care where they are as long as they have food and warmth ect being a plane is no different to them being on a bus.

Hell yes I would! I can't stand seeing my child upset! Go ahead beat me now.

I also have had benadryl on hand since my son was 10 months old. My mom is deathly allergic to bees. I don't know if I am or if my children are. I talked to their dr and told him "I'll treat then and ask questions later" to which he replied "I'm perfectly ok with that". He gave me the correct dosage to give to an infant.

If I was planning a plane trip, I would consult my dr. I would give them the chance to see their reactions but if they are screaming and wailing, then I will have no issues doing what needs to be done. My kids make themselves sick of they are too upset so it would be more about them rather than everyone else. Every child is different.

Well done but I don't think you should automatically condemn those who do. I have never flown but I imagine some people's children do not take well to it at all and then it becomes a stressful experience for everyone - you, other passengers, staff but especially the child. Maybe in those situations giving some calpol or whatever is the best thing to do.

One size doesn't fit all and we need to remember this. What may be easy for us may be a nightmare for someone who has a high needs child, special needs child, multiples etc.

This.

I wouldn't do it, but then again, my child isn't the same as everyone elses. Some have good reasons.

Are you being serious??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->