Dummies... Yay or nay?

first off she had one but she kept waking up cause she dropped it out of her mouth but she dont have it anymore and it does get annoyin cause sometimes i cant calm her whereas you just pop in the dummy its well annoyin lol

... can I add that I'm not a lazy mother and I have rules about dummy use!

I don't shove it in her mouth the second she's crying. I try changing, feeding, swaddling, rocking, cuddling, etc. first, it's sort of my last resort. Usually if she's making sucking faces and won't take the bottle I give her the soother. I don't want her to be in the habit of sucking her thumb when she's older.

I was a Greggs baby :happydance:

I was dragged up on a council estate :happydance:

My babies take dummies :happydance:

I want to give Caitlin a Greggs sausage roll in town :happydance:

Soooo...

I'm a crack whore :happydance:

:rofl: I'm a lazy mum I just stick my boob in Caitlyns mouth if she's moaning for no reason.

like hell id give my baby one! id rather find out why theyre screaming and sort that out than shove a germ covered, tooth bucking, speech impairing plastic thing in their mouths. :)

I cant quite believe Im reading this. Wtf?! Your so bloody rude. Its one thing to have an opinion its quite another to be an arsehole...

I know my baby's cries. If she is distressed, in pain, hungry, wet/dirty etc etc I will not gieve her a dummy to 'shut her up' I will deal with the problem

I was a Greggs baby :happydance:

I was dragged up on a council estate :happydance:

My babies take dummies :happydance:

I want to give Caitlin a Greggs sausage roll in town :happydance:

Soooo...

I'm a crack whore :happydance:

Say it as it is hun ha ha

I didnt have a dummy as a baby I used my thumb instead.... and yes I was still sucking up thumb aged 8! I ended up the buck teeth.... lovely. I can throw Meadows dummy away I cant throw her thumb away.

I didnt have a dummy as a baby I used my thumb instead.... and yes I was still sucking up thumb aged 8! I ended up the buck teeth.... lovely. I can throw Meadows dummy away I cant throw her thumb away.

I sucked my thumb and have crooked teeth too, but so what? There are worse things in life.

Molly was given a dummy in hospital to stimulate her sucking reflex as she was prem.

katie never took one until this last week or so. she was BF and was constantly on my boob or sucking her thumb. i always said she'd never suck her thumb. i remember reading there's more germs under your nails than there is if you lick a toilet seat!!

now she's not BF i need something to keep her entertained cos she needs something to suck. she constantly had cold wet hands from sucking her thumb/fingers. it's not my first resort if she's crying, infact, i dont give her it if she's crying. she gets fed/watered/changed/a nap/a cuddle. i only do it to substitute what she used to get off my boob.

i think there's a subtle difference between some crack whore on a council estate and someone who is trying to help their baby by soothing them in some way.

Wow there are some "lovely" people responding to thid thread. Anyway I just wanted to point out that although my son has a dummy, he doesn't have it to shut him up, I actually don't really like dummies and I would love him to stop having it, but what's the point when his thumb is in there instantly?
Anyway, as the council estate spawn of a teenage mother I had a dummy, I was rid of it by 2. My rather posh hubby sucked his thumb instead, he carried on sucking his thumb for a long time and (he would be embarrassed if he knew i was admitting this to u) at the age of 24, late at night, i have heard him making sucking noises in his sleep.
Also, it is rubbish that a baby can't babble with a dummy in, my poor dummy infested son babbles constantly, with both a dummy or his fingers in his mouth. And using a dummy to shut him up doesn't work coz when he is really upset he spits it out!!!!! I love how people who know nothing think they know everything
(sorry i usually say nothing but this one has really pissed me off)

I'm not getting involved in the verbal fisticuffs!!
But we had a dummy from early on as my LO was a very sucky baby and I couldn't have him attached to my boob 24hrs a day so he had a dummy. We've just weaned him off it now at 19 weeks and replaced it with a comforter blanket - he kept waking up every time it fell out of his mouth so it had to go! 1 week of hassle and its like he never had one now.
I think dummies have a purpose especially if you have a sucky baby but I do hate seeing 2-3yr olds running round with them. Think it very much depends on the personality of your baby.

:rofl: I think I'm speechless :rofl: I think thats a 1st :lol:

Feel free to snag my blinkie girls :smug:cw1.gif :rofl:

maley has one and i was adamant she wouldnt - changed my mind when at a few weeks old she was screaming the house down because after it had taken her about an hour to work out how to get her fingers in her mouth, she didnt realise that when she moved her head, she had to take her fingers with her and so they would come out and she would have to start all over again!!!!

she has it in the day when she is relaxing but she doesnt have it to sleep, she self soothes at night. and i sometimes give it to her when she is crying (shoot me now!) as i know that she is fed, has a dry bum and just wants to suck!

so now its not just how we feed our babies thats a topic for debate its how we pacify them too.......get a grip if babies are happy and mamas are happy who cares.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->