English-English versus American-English

A

Aria

Okay, there are a lot of people here from England and all those beautiful countries with a far more interesting history than America.

So maybe someone can answer some questions.

We call then fries and you call them chips.
We call them chips and you call them crisps.
We call them cookies and you call them biscuits.
We call them biscuits and you call them...what?

Also clothing. Pants, trousers, etc.. I have no idea what each of the articles of clothing is called. What you call pants - is that what we call underwear or panties? And our pants, are those trousers? If so, what we call trousers, basically dressier pants, also called slacks, what do you call them?

Sorry if I sound like an ignoramus, but I wasn't raised around Queen's English, so I really don't know. Flats, lifts, boots, bonnets, that stuff is fine. Food and clothing is where I get confused!

I love this kind of thing, i remember watching love actually and there's a scene when a guy and a group of girls are comparing the two english language and pronunciation differences.

A jumper - i think you call it a sweater - normally a long sleeved warm garment worn on the upper body
Pants - are the first undergarment we put on (aka knickers, briefs)
Pants - to you are what we call trousers
Combats - are a casual trouser (probably similar to your slacks)
Joggers - are training pants - the kind you would wear to workout or lounge around in

A bacon buttie is two slices of buttered bread with a couple of rashers of lovely bacon wedged in the middle - Yum! (aka a bacon sandwich)

just to confuse you even more we also have regional differences for instance in the middle of the UK you would probably ask for a Bacon Cob, in the north a Bacon Barm - which are all essentially the same thing.

the biscuit thing isn't clear cut either, your not far off with your translation however we do have American cookies over here, but also the nature of the product is different. if it is a moist soft biscuit then it is a cookie, biscuits are normally crunchy - for instance you call Oreo's cookies to us they are biscuits.

Okay, there are a lot of people here from England and all those beautiful countries with a far more interesting history than America.

So maybe someone can answer some questions.

We call then fries and you call them chips.
We call them chips and you call them crisps.
We call them cookies and you call them biscuits.
We call them biscuits and you call them...what?

Also clothing. Pants, trousers, etc.. I have no idea what each of the articles of clothing is called. What you call pants - is that what we call underwear or panties? And our pants, are those trousers? If so, what we call trousers, basically dressier pants, also called slacks, what do you call them?

Sorry if I sound like an ignoramus, but I wasn't raised around Queen's English, so I really don't know. Flats, lifts, boots, bonnets, that stuff is fine. Food and clothing is where I get confused!

It depends where you live in the UK, I call trousers- pants and trousers :rofl: depends how i feel then i call knickers- Pants or knickers depending how i feel :rofl: confusing YES!

XxX

What is a jumper? Or a baby vest?
:rofl:

You would call a jumper a swetter, erm not sure about a baby vest

https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...ing=UTF8&m=A2LBKNDJ2KZUGQ&n=44483031&mcb=core

thats a baby vest

It dose my nut in when im watching american cooking programs and they call a courgette a zucchini! And what you call your chocolate, over here its cooking, dark,milk or white but you call yours something else

I think Americans say biscuit we say scone.

You might not think it's funny but I nearly laughed my leg off when I got a scone in a KfC in America! A scone! Biscuit! I was like wtf has this got to do with kentucky fried chicken??????

ohhh. yeahhhhhhh cilantro??? in england? coriander... i was well confused in the states!x

Bahahahaha! The food is the worst, there's a bunch of threads where you gals are saying what you had for "tea", and i don't understand any of the foods :( It also took me forever to realize a pram was a stroller! lol

And I think a vest is the same as a onezie (I have no idea how to spell it!!) And paracetomol (sp again?) is the same as tylenol

Its silly that we speak the same language yet call things differant names. Yes we have regional names for things but we know what they are

can i just ask ..whats a Yam??? :shrug: always hear it on american programms...

plus

is pumpkin pie like a sweet dessert or like a savoury pie??

:)

x

yeah I saw it on friends about yam!! :lol:

Pants are knickers :rofl:

lol @ pram is a stroller... :rofl:

I always wondered what a pram was :rofl:

And tea time sounds like something my grandma has with her friends, literally a tea drinking party. But I think you guys call it lunch/dinner?

I'm pretty used to it now, I can easily get what you mean cause 98% of the members of BnB are using the same words! lol

I have to admit it makes me chuckle when girls are expressing their frustration.. some of the words they use just sound hilarious, but they're so serious when using it :rofl:

I have to admit it makes me chuckle when girls are expressing their frustration.. some of the words they use just sound hilarious, but they're so serious when using it :rofl:

LOL enlighten me??? which words? x

Oooh and pants - also in the term 'feeling pants' feeling crappy :rofl:

I always wondered what Tylenol was :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back