Epidural - stress v pain relief

well TENS and gas and air are common start points, I dont like TENS machines but many women swear by them and say they couldnt have managed labour without. Same with G&A, I used this for a short while and found it useful and many other people do (it helps if you hang fire with pain relief during the early hours as things like TENS/G&A become less effective if you are using them for hours and hours and hours)

Actually TENS works best if it's begun early and then continued over a long period, as it supports the gradual and continual build-up of endorphins. It doesn't even really start to work well until you've been using it for at least an hour.

im sure the 20 mins epidural thing is the time it takes to set up, i had one with my first and the anethsetist was literally at my back for a couple of mins max

My MW said to me the other day that if you need an epidural you'll be in so much pain you won't care about the needle. Because I told her I have a needle phobia and that was her reply. xx

I'm not sure this is true actually! I needed a drip at the end of my 72 hr labour as my contractions were slowing and I had no urge to push. I am hugely needle phobic and drips in my hand are my ultimate fear, I was absolutely terrified, wouldn't have drempt of going through it to stop the pain but when they said they were beginning to worry about my baby I let them do it straight away.

The gas and air was great until the pushing stage and the birth pool was great for the time between about 6-8cm. I had a shot of morphine about 7 hrs before I delivered. With hindsight not sure it was the right choice as it seemed to slow the contractions and had totally worn off by the time the pushing started. However it certainly hasnt affected breastfeeding.

I had a horrible labour and ended up pushing for an hour on the drip with only gas and air and the doctors threatening an epidural, episiotomy and forceps - but at the time you just cope with it. I honestly think the fear before is worse than the reality when it's actually you having your baby it's amazing how strong you become!:thumbup:

well TENS and gas and air are common start points, I dont like TENS machines but many women swear by them and say they couldnt have managed labour without. Same with G&A, I used this for a short while and found it useful and many other people do (it helps if you hang fire with pain relief during the early hours as things like TENS/G&A become less effective if you are using them for hours and hours and hours)

Actually TENS works best if it's begun early and then continued over a long period, as it supports the gradual and continual build-up of endorphins. It doesn't even really start to work well until you've been using it for at least an hour.

I meant in that if you use a TENS whilst having period pains and have it on for 12+ hours you tend not to feel any effect when "real" contractions start. If you wait til labour starts properly and then start using it you will feel more benefit...thats from experience not out of a book. TENS is better used earlier in labour but having given birth several times I wouldnt reccomend anyone slap one on at the first tiny twinges.

The benefit of an epidural is they dont wave it in front of your face - you arent going to see the needle so just think about something else. I dont like needles either but I tell you when I had my epi it didnt even occur to me, I was too bothered about the pain tearing through my body, you cant see whats happening so it shouldnt really be a problem x

i dont deal with needles very well, i had everything last labour and will do the same this time, i am going to try and get the pethidine and the epidural closer together, as i found the pethidine like being on a little drug trip and became quite detached from ym surrounds so i probably wouldnt notice the epidural so much...

I'm terrified of needles - and have avoided seeing what an epidural looks like my entire pregnancy for that very reason... I think as long as I don't see it while it's being put in... and I have my wonderful OH holding me and telling me it's okay.. then it will be okay - because I hear after getting the epi it's like heaven!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->