Fall IUI support

I was on 2.5mg last month. My estrogen was still a little low 7dpo (technically mine was done 6dpo) 12.5 while on 100mg progesterone suppositories. Thinking they'll increase to 5mg (at least that's what I'm hoping).

I wouldn't think increasing to 5mg would be a big problem. My clinic has a rule about not going over 7.5mg and that's what I was on. Then I tried switching clinics and they wanted me on 12.5mg (cos I only have one working tube so it's extra important to get follies on my good side) but in the end they couldn't do the IUI because they couldn't work with the donor bank we used and since we already have a child with a specific donor, we switched back to our old clinic. So I've been secretly taking 12.5mg using the extras from the other prescription I filled when I thought we were going through with the other clinic to fill the gap from 7.5mg. I kinda feel guilty, but I only ever get one follie on 7.5mg and when it's stop or go depending on the side that follie is on... I don't feel too bad. It's notlike I get more than three follies at this higher dose and I'm still held to the clinic's rules of having three follies max (including the ones on my bum-side. 12.5mg is brutal for side effects for me though. Migraines and hot flashes are ridiculously strong for me. Thanks for letting me say all that! My hubby knows, but he's it.

Anyway, good luck with your next cycle! I'll be praying and crossing my fingers for you!

I don't think my DH would let me get away with doing something outside what the doctor said, but I do have some medical resources who could help ease any concerns about side effects from the extra. Are they monitoring you with US throughout your cycle? I have to go in tomorrow, CD3 for an US before they'll even start me on round 2 of letrazole to make sure I didn't get any cysts from it last cycle.

Everyone keeping busy in their TWW? I almost felt like my IUI TWW was worse...maybe because I had more hope! It'll probably get worse with each one, I'm counting on it taking 3 or 4.

Anyone have any issues with DH's thyroid? I know it can affect either male or female fertility. Mine is fine with TSH level 1.5 but I can't get DH to go in for a physical. I don't remember the specifics of his SA, but the doctor didn't have any concerns. Most of it was normal, there was one value, maybe motility, that was on the low end of normal range, but obviously IUI will help with that. I don't know what kind of impact thyroid could have, and if it would show up on SA. Most of DH's family (I think all 3 of his brothers) have low thyroid, so totally possible...I'm trying to encourage him to go in for a physical before we spend another $1000 this month on IUI. Thoughts?

Hi ladies, I hope you don't mind me joining.

My DH and I are in the process of moving to IUI. We've been trying for just over a year and would keep trying with timed intercourse if we could! Except my DH is in the military and is probably heading away overseas for a few months (up to about 5 months). We don't want to wait until he gets home so we are in the process of having some semen frozen for IUI when he is away. His appointment is 10 days away. They've said we may be able to get two IUIs from one sample. Unfortunately with the Christmas close down and him possibly deployed in the next 2weeks, we will only be able to get one sample frozen.

If he doesn't go away, I'm guessing IUI is probably in the plan for the next few months anyway but with a fresh sample if he's home.

I'm feeling a little nervous because IUI is the step before IVF and that felt like a really long way away. I've got a few questions and need a bit of advice, any help is welcome.

Has your doctor mentioned the success rate or anything? From what I've read it's about the same as timed BDing.
What does your doctor do in the way of monitoring? (I'm not monitored on Clomid currently)
Why did you choose IUI over IVF? I'm wondering if our money might be better spent jumping straight to IVF even if it is super scary!
Any advice about making sure my DH produces a large, good quality sample? (I.e should we refrain for BDing for 2-3 days before? Etc)

Thank you so much and good luck to you all.

Mkaykes I don't know anything about thyroid but I have seen it mentioned on a lot of boards but usually in reference to women. Sorry I can't be of more help

Sarah. Welcome to our group. From what I have read and experienced you don't want the sperm building up as it then affects motility and morph. Our RE says to ejaculate 48 hours before sample. Lol so technical I know! As for why we chose IUI before Ivf, it's all me. I was convinced it would work. We have "unexplained" which infuriates me as I like to have reasons and answers for everything. Type A personality I know. Clearly it didn't work but I feel if we tried a couple more it would. DH feels differently. He thinks we should break out the big guns and go for it 100%. I am terrified but strong so it all going to be ok! Other thing with our family is we agreed to try every step once and if it didn't work, move onto the next step. I can't go through life with the "what if's".

Hi Sarah! I chose IUI based on my doctor's advice. They don't do IVF in their OB/GYN clinic but do IUI and he has had a lot of success. Success rates depend on reason for infertility, for mild male factor I think it is pretty successful, but I think it just puts it up to the normal success rates for fertile couples, which is what, 20% per month? I have endo, so the purpose of IUI for us is just to speed up the chances as they don't want us to go too long after my laparoscopy (which was in Sept) since the endo will grow back and we'll be back at the beginning. I read something that with endo, chances with medicated IUI are still only 2-4%...so not great.

I am monitored by ultrasound twice before O (one being just before to make sure follie is good size) then trigger with Ovidrel and then f/up 7 DPO for progesterone to confirm O.

Secret said they were told 48 hours prior to refrain from ejaculating, which I guess is what ours does too, they have us have intercourse 2 days prior to IUI (just in case we miss O). Having a good sample was a problem for us for our first IUI last month, the volume was pretty low, but it was enough for them to do it since they don't really need very much. But, I think it would be better to get better quality sperm if DH could leave a larger volume. Ours was done first thing on a Saturday morning, and DH isn't a morning person. Hoping this time around he can be a little more relaxed (fortunately we only live 20 minutes away so he can do it at home!).

We don't plan to do IVF, I'm not sure I can make the necessary decisions on what to do with any "extras" (though who knows what kind of success we'd have to even have to make that decision). Time will tell, the longer we go the more likely I may be to go down that route.

AFM - DH got an appt for tomorrow morning for a physical including a thyroid check so I'll be glad to get that out of the way. On one hand I hope it isn't an issue, on the other I hope it is so we can treat it and maybe that will give us our baby!

I go in for CD13 ultrasound in a week, so I'll have to suffer through Christmas and NYs in the TWW. It was New Years Day two years ago that we decided to stop contraception, we were debating waiting until April since I didn't want to get pregnant in March (I didn't want a Christmas baby)...ha ha, what a fool I was!

Any updates from anyone?

My clinic requires I do a minimum of one ultrasound prior to going through with an IUI to limit cycles with more than three follies. They won't even go forward with more than that. For some reason, my body is pretty resistant to lower doses of letrozole �� My hubby knows what I'm up to and understands. I don't think I could without his consent or knowledge. We actually celebrated our 6th year anniversary this last weekend and I rarely drink except for special occasions and passed on the wine he ordered with dinner. No biggie but it looked good! So far as symptom spotting goes �� I had pretty bad nausea all yesterday with smells making it worse (I know - way too early to be a real sign but I noted it anyway since it was so out of the blue) and I've got a canker sore on my inner lip at 6dpo (today) - which I never get.

Anyone else tracking symptoms and wanna share??

Thank you so much to those who've shared. We have IUI in our back pocket if DH goes away. We will still go and freeze some sperm next week just in case. All the paperwork will be signed and ready to go. Good luck to you all.

Sarah - when do you start your first IUI? As long as your husband's quality and count are decent, I wouldn't worry about freezing slowing things down. We use frozen donor sperm since my hubby doesn't have any and we've gotten pregnant once with the frozen stuff. Good luck though and keep us in the loop!

We went to the clinic today and he did his sample. They rung back to say that his motility was a little low and there was enough for 1 cycle. We are feeling a little bummed that we might be dealing with both female and male factors.

The soonest we could start IUI is middle/end January with them closed over the break. Our next appointment with our doctor is early February so I guess we will know more then.

I'm sorry Sarah, but don't be too discouraged. I have a friend with PCOs and some slight male issues and she gets pregnant via IUI faster than anyone I know. She got pregnant on her first IUI for #1 and got pregnant with her second child on IUI attempt two. With the right doctor and plan, it's very possible and sometimes even easy. Hang in there!

Thanks mkwalsh. It's hard to know whether IUI is the best step or whether we should keep trying at home or jump to IVF. IUI is pretty expensive where I live and 3-4 IUIs is 1 round of IVF. Our next appointment isn't until early February which feels like ages away. Thanks for the hope :)

In ttc terms, February is ages away Sarah, sorry you're on hold. We had a small, not great sample last month and I tried to remain positive because it really just takes 1 sperm and 1 egg.

That's encouraging MK about your friend!

I had my CD13 US today and triggered when I got home, we go in for IUI #2 tomorrow! I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. Last month my follie was about 18.5mm (so probably just over 20mm at O), today it was 26mm, so I'm much happier with that, even though they said the 18.5mm was "perfect." I would have been even happier to see more than one target, but I'll take the increase in size and feel good about it! Hoping that since we are going in the afternoon DH is more relaxed and gets a better sample this go around!

Hi ladies.
We are trying IUI for the second time this cycle. Tomorrow I am going for my R/O cyst appointment. First cycle was a BFN :(

MKaykes: Your follicle size is great. Hope you have success this cycle. Doing IUI in the afternoon sounds good. I thought RE's office only do the IUI's in the morning.

sarah: My RE's says to try 3 IUI's before moving to IVF. But if you pay out of pocket then sure it does get expensive. I hope you get your BFP with clomid and TI. Good luck.

Any updates at the end of TWW? Maybe baby? Dancing nurse? MK?

Hi Fairey- yeah, my clinic does morning and afternoon iui during the week, morning only on the weekend. Super nice for us, especially since DH already took today up to use some vacation time so it all worked out!

Motility was 70% with "good" count (not excellent but also not poor). TWW, here I come! They told me to test on Jan 2nd. We're having a party on Jan 1st, so it'll help keep me from testing as its easier to say I don't know than tell someone to early or break down and cry if it's a BFN. All our friends know what's up, so no use not telling them ifor I have an answer.

I do think just for fun I'll take a test now shortly after trigger just to see a positive! But won't test it out completely.

Hi everyone, I am back to trying to conceive by way of IUI with donor sperm as we lost our little peanut. I found out on Monday when I should have been at 9 weeks that my little baby was almost a week behind in size and no longer had a heartbeat. I have to have a D&C tomorrow and then get my polyps removed in the new year and hopefully we can start trying again soon after. Has anyone else here experienced something similar? I am interested to know when I will be cleared to start again. I'm not even sure when I should expect my next period. I have so many questions for the doctor. My husband and I are so devastated... what a shitty thing to go through a couple days before Christmas. I am really not looking forward to tomorrow at all.

Dani I am so sorry hun. I have not had any experience with miscarriages, but I can't even imagine the sadness and especially this time of year. Sending you some big hugs!!

Any updates at the end of TWW? Maybe baby? Dancing nurse? MK?

Thanks for checking in :hugs: Unfortunately, no good news for me. Got AF the morning I was scheduled for my beta. I had a really hard few days coming to terms with the fact that it didn't work, but I took some time to let myself be sad and angry, and now I feel like I am ready to tackle IUI #2 :flower:

I went in for CD3 baseline BW and US this morning. I had 12 follicles less than 10mm today.. seems low compared to the 23 I had each of my last 2 baselines. Anyone have any idea why there would be such a big change from one cycle to the next? I'll start 100IU of Gonal-F tonight, and then go back for monitoring bright and early on Christmas morning, because nothing says 'Happy Holidays' quite like an ultrasound wand up in your lady bits. :haha:

I'm 15dpo now and tested negative yesterday. Had some spotting (the tiniest bit) this afternoon and now nothing. I'm always four days late (total of 17 days past the IUI) due to the meds, but I've never had any sort of spotting ever until today. Normally I'll just get instantaneous heavy or medium flow with some immediate heavy duty cramps. Nothing like that happening yet. I'm going to hold out on further testing until Sunday though when I'll officially be late if I make it that far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->