FAO Aliss or anyone else re: sleep associations

meldmac

Mom to an angel and Colin
Reaction score
Aliss can you give me your routine on how you got your little man to go down with sleep associations? I'm really interested in doing this but not sure how to go about to start.

If anyone else has any suggestions please share as well!! I'm going insane :wacko:

I may be being thick, but what's a sleep association? :blush: I'm intrigued!

A sleep association is something that baby associates with going to sleep. For instance, a very common one is breastfeeding. The idea is to provide certain sleep associations of your own choice (blanket, cuddly toy, rocking, singing, tapping, shushing, etc.) and try to remove any undesirable ones. Tabitha's sleep association is her dummy, teddy comforter, and shushing. We introduced those at about 3 months old so not sure how you would go about doing it with an older baby. In the No Cry Sleep Solution a gentle removal plan is described to break unwanted sleep associations like feeding to sleep. You feed until baby is almost asleep, then take them off the breast. If they protest you put them straight back on and try again 10-50 seconds later. The idea is that eventually they will go to sleep without feeding, therefore weakening the feed-to-sleep association.

we have a strict routine which i find helps. his bedtime routine is this:

bath, into Pj's, diaper change, lights off, si in chair next to crib, feed, burp over shoulder, pat back till calm, put down in crib awake, give teddy blanket, turn on music light projector, leave.

the teddy blanket thing is like these:https://di1-4.shoppingshadow.com/images/pi/2c/55/a1/100737081-260x260-0-0_Fisher+Price+Fisher+Price+Monkey+Security+Blanket.jpg

he has it for his nap as well as bed time, it never comes out of the crib, its for sleep only. its better then a pacifier because if he lets go, he can easily grab it again which he does.

Ours has been a loud ticking clock next to the bed :rofl:

Yes my friend looked at me weird when i dropped LO off at hers to stay one night, and produced the alarm clock :rofl:

ive made sure my lo doesnt need anything like being fed or rocked or music etc, i put him down still slightly awake tuck him in with his blanket and teddy and he chews his hands for a bit then falls asleep.
mind you i am always next to him or close by and we co sleep

Lots of great ideas!

I use a fisher price aquarium which has 2 settings: water and lullabye.

I play the water one while feeding him, put him into bed awake, and turn it to lullabye after and lay him down in his bed (awake), then he rolls around and after 5-10 minutes passes out to the music (it runs 20 minutes).

It didn't work at first, but after a month of consistent attempts, it now works every time like a charm!

freckleonear explains it best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->