First period off bc - alarming?

prettybirdy27

Reaction score
So a little background, I was on bc, most recently the nuvaring, for 7 years, and just went off Oct 5. I had a withdrawal bleed, and then just got my first period after stopping nuvaring yesterday.

Yesterday the blood seemed more normal - ie darker and sort of clotted with a medium to light flow, which is completely normal for me. However, just now I went and pulled out my tampon, and a ton of thin bright red blood spilled out, and kept coming and coming. I'd wipe and get everything cleaned up, then wait a minute and there would be a bunch of blood again. To roughly estimate, I'd say there was a total of maybe two tablespoons in all. I finally managed to clean up enough to ram a tampon in.

I've never had that much blood come on so quickly, and never had it be bright red like that. Is this just because of the change in hormones from going off birth control, or is this something I should be alarmed about?

My periods have been like this ever since I came if the pill in May/June. Previously when I was ttc ds they were very light indeed! Before that I don't know because I was on the pill for years.

I asked the dr and she said our bodies change but I can go in for a blood test to check hormones if I want, I haven't bothered though

It sounds like your body is just returning to its normal state after the pill, which doesn't allow you to have 'true' periods. X

My first really period after bc was so much, i didn't know how i had any blood left. I think it is normal.

I stopped BC recently (also Nuvaring) and my first period was very bloody. I changed pads a lot faster than I ever had. Before BC they were a bit light, so I imagine this was just my body getting used to its natural rhythm again.

Today the blood is still a lot, but it is back to a normal color. I think I was just alarmed at the bright red color, as my first thought was that maybe I had been pregnant after all but m/c. Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->