First time mommies trying for a natural birth support thread!

I'll be in B&B's 2nd trimester forum tomorrow, so I figured now's a good time to quit lurking in this forum! :haha:

I don't think we can afford a home birth, but I want to have as natural a birth as possible in the hospital. I consider myself lucky b/c my OB's office actually has an RN-midwife on staff for those who want to go natural. I know I have a lot to learn about labor/delivery, so I'm so glad B&B has this forum!!

I'll be in B&B's 2nd trimester forum tomorrow, so I figured now's a good time to quit lurking in this forum! :haha:

I don't think we can afford a home birth, but I want to have as natural a birth as possible in the hospital. I consider myself lucky b/c my OB's office actually has an RN-midwife on staff for those who want to go natural. I know I have a lot to learn about labor/delivery, so I'm so glad B&B has this forum!!

Welcome!

Hi all,

It's great to find this thread! I'm expecting my first and am hoping to go fully natural :)

I was pretty scared about the idea of labour, particularly as I am a larger lady, I wondered how well my body would cope with giving birth. But I reckon knowledge is power, so I have been doing lots of reading - Ina May's book which is FAB!! I have also joined a pregnancy yoga and active birthing class which is the best thing I've done. I've found that I am actually really flexible, and the breathing and relaxation exercises have been really helpful - and I feel so much more positive about labour now, infact I'm actually quite excited, lol!!

Looking forward to hearing all your natural birth stories :)

Hi LaraJJ!

I'm also doing prenatal yoga and I'm looking forward to starting prenatal classes. Feeling like I should be doing more to prepare...
I'm currently reading a book called Birthing from Within and I think it will prove to be very useful.

Oh LaraJJ, you have nearly the same due date as me, and I'm a bigger build too. Hi!!! lol.

rducky - I know what you mean about doing more to prepare, I feel much better now I am being more proactive about it. Are you enjoying the yoga? I love it!

Hi flyingduster - hows your pregnancy going so far? Have you got much of a bump yet or felt LO move?!

Hi LaraJJ!

I'm also doing prenatal yoga and I'm looking forward to starting prenatal classes. Feeling like I should be doing more to prepare...
I'm currently reading a book called Birthing from Within and I think it will prove to be very useful.

Is Birthing From Within the one with the yellow cover, with sections about birth art?

Hi LaraJJ!

Is Birthing From Within the one with the yellow cover, with sections about birth art?

Yes, that's it!

rducky - I know what you mean about doing more to prepare, I feel much better now I am being more proactive about it. Are you enjoying the yoga? I love it!

Hi flyingduster - hows your pregnancy going so far? Have you got much of a bump yet or felt LO move?!

Yes, I did love the yoga. Just found out that my class has been cancelled though...boo. I'll have to find another one now.

Hey rducky! All is going well, got a bit of a bump when I'm relaxed, but if I suck my tummy in it's pretty unnoticable. I have a lot of excess weight though so I knew from the get-go that it'd take longer to show properly!!! And on the same note, with the excess weight I can't feel it move yet either! I have my next scan in about 10 days though, so if I'm not feeling it by then I'll at least be seeing it!!! :D

I only felt movement that I was sure about at around 20 weeks. Now I feel it all the time...actually it's getting a bit rough at times!

same! lol. It's so funny, right now I want to feel the baby move and have a proper bump to show off. Bet ya in a few months I'll be wishing the silly thing would keep still and my bump would get outta the way!!! LOL!

I have started "trying" to induce labor :happydance:

Im not worried about the pain of natural childbirth I just dont want to get sick and vomit during the process:dohh:

All of the ladies on b&b who planned to go natural ended up needing meds. I hope there is no medical reason I cant go natural.

Lo is measuring 38w and 7pounds. Ready to get her out before she gets to big to squeeze out :wacko:

Hi LaraJJ!

Yes, that's it!

Good book, isn't it? At first I thought, "Birth Art, what kinda hippie nonsense is this?!" But I did some to illustrate my fears for birth and it really helped, just getting them out and down on paper seemed to help neutralise them a bit, iykwim. My MW went through it with me, then suggested I do a positive one showing all the reasons it was not likely to go wrong like that, which I haven't done yet. I also want to make a Venus figurine from clay or salt dough or something, to remind me that this is natural, our bodies were made for this, and to make me feel linked to all the millions of women who've done this before in the way I'm aiming to (no interventions, no drugs, at home).

Here's my birth art on my fears if anyone's interested. My skill at drawing is non-existant (as you can see!) so I'll explain. From where I am now to get to motherhood and baby on the outside etc I need to cross a canyon, and I have only a rickety ladder to do so on, and two demons (fear and tiredness) are trying to push me off it. In the canyon, there's a doctor waiting to cut me open, with me on my back with my mouth sewn shut, and a set of shackles.
https://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m432/KaidaAmaya/Birthartfears.jpg

Kess, that's great that you did some art. I haven't done any yet...I'm sorta creatively challenged but I guess I just have to sit down and see what comes to me. It's a great idea to do a positive one too. Maybe I'll try this weekend...

I think what's getting me right now is how many people think that I'm crazy for going to a birthing centre with a midwife. They all say..."but you can have an epidural right?" and when I say that I would have to transfer to a hospital for that the reactions go right downhill. I feel pretty confident about my ability to have a natural birth, but nobody else does and I fear that will drag me down or freak me out at the end.

rducky, don't let them get to you, you KNOW there are soooo many women on here who have wonderful home births, let alone with more care (?) provided at a birthing centre! You KNOW you will be fine hun! :hugs:

If you think that others might get you down between now and then, then don't tell people about your plans. They don't have to know! Tell them you are hoping to have a fairly natural birth if you want, but that if you have to, you're also open to having drugs you need at the time, but 'we will see' or something (I don't know how open you are to having drugs if you need it, but if you tell them something vague like that their reactions won't be so bad?) They do NOT need to know anything more hun, don't let them wear you down!

I've found, already, that the moment people know you're pregnant, they have to tell you all about THEIR pregnancy and birth. And if I mention that I want to be as natural as possible, most people roll their eyes at me and say that I'll be wanting drugs when it comes to the time! I just tell them that yeah, I quite possibly will, and if that's the case, I'll get drugs. If I can though, I'll try and go without. :)

It can be really hard not to listen to the negativity or peoples birth experiences. I find, for me, that I just don't talk about it with anyone except people I already know will be supportive of me and my choices.
I keep as positive as possible, using exercises, and visualisation of the type of birth I am going for. I find that works the best.
I refuse to entertain any other type of feedback, be it scary/negative birth stories, constant questioning of my wishes for a natural birth, or basically any negative talk at al. When someone chooses to go there with me, I change the subject or just smile and nod my head, letting their comments/advice etc flow over me. I do not need to take it on myself.
After reading Ina May's book, I feel more confident than ever that my body and my baby are perfectly capable of having a wonderful natural birth experience.

I also highly recommend the documentary, Orgasmic Birth. It is wonderful and very empowering! :flower:

I have started "trying" to induce labor :happydance:

Im not worried about the pain of natural childbirth I just dont want to get sick and vomit during the process:dohh:

All of the ladies on b&b who planned to go natural ended up needing meds. I hope there is no medical reason I cant go natural.

Lo is measuring 38w and 7pounds. Ready to get her out before she gets to big to squeeze out :wacko:

If you are scared of vomiting, then avoiding drugs is your best option - I had an epidural and morphine, both of which contributed to very nasty vomiting (I went natural for about 24 hours and had no vomit issues at the time).

As for size, remember big baby = gravity + so it's a good thing!

I'm 38 weeks with my first, and I definitely plan on having an all natural, med free birth. The only bummer was that I tested positive for strep b, so looks like at the most I will end up with an I.V. full of antibiotics, sad :(

Right now my biggest enemy is induction. Thus far I'm 1cm dilated and her little head is really low, so here's hoping

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->