fleas!!!!

emsie_123

Reaction score
Mother in law's cat got into our bed room last night and walked across the bed. This morning I woke up COVERED in nasty flea bites, they are soooo itchy!

LO slept in bed too but I checked her through, not a single little flea bit on her chubby little body, Im soooo happy!!

The cat is getting sorted but what can I do about our bed room? Is it safe to spray pesticide free flea spray around in the room? Or should I go with the more natural option of eucalyptus essence or pennyroyal with water, sprayed in the room? Can I spray in the bed or just on the floor?

Washing all the bedding, duvet and pillows has been chucked outside for airing....Should/ could I spray them too?

I really dunno what to do :nope:

I've had this problem when a stray got into my DD bedroom we have two cats but they always have flea collars on so they never get fleas.
I just washed everything I could including her duvet then sprayed the mattress, curtains and carpet
Once you've done this leave the room shut the door then about an hour latter open the windows and let it all air out before spending any long amount of time in there
Personally I would keep LO out of the bedroom all day if you can
Hope this helps

Oh and also you can get flea bombs which will do the entire room might be useful to do the living room with a flea bomb of the cat gas been in there

Thanks for the advice!

I started removing all cloth from the bed room and started the hoover but than LO went to sleep so I had to take a little break.

Can you spray the anti flea spray on the mattress? Are the chemicals alright for a baby?

The flea bombs are great, we have pets but all are treated regularly so never see any fleas but 1 a year I do use the flea bomb, at the end of summer before the central heating kicks in to kill anything that might be woken with the heating warming the house through. This was recommended to me by my vet and we have never (touch wood!) had flea problems.

I had a horrible flea problem after my sister's dog visited for a few days. I ended up having to bomb the house twice to kill them all. I also put borax in the carpet and left it for a few days and sprayed a spray specifically for fleas. I was finally able to get rid of them, but it took weeks. The vet told my sister the fleas they have in her area are very hard to kill, even with some of the newer things. :(

Use a flea bomb!! They are safe to use with bedding and clothes etc but I always strip the bed before I use it and wash the sheets on a really hot wash.

Regarding actually spraying the mattress I wonks read the can. I'm sure some of them say not to spray directly onto bedding or sofas.

If u do decide to flea bomb just make sure you air the room out for a good few hours before using it again. I find the smell off the bomb can linger for a day after but it doesn't smell horrible.

Also, even after you bomb I recommend gettin some powder too and putting it on the carpet and especially around the skirting boards as thinks where the eggs live/hatch.

This is what I do...

Put flea treatments cats an kick them out for the day.

Hoover the house.

Strip bedding a wash it.

Flea bomb.

Flea powder then Hoover again.

And this works a treat.

Some might think its excessive but I hate fleas!!

Ive never found the bombs to work very well, but i was recommended this

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-treatm...m-acclaim-household-flea-spray-500ml-can-p-16

and its fantastic :)

Flea bombs are a total crock of poo lol, they are rubbish i ended up using cockroach killer to fix my problem in the end :) but wash all the sheets everyday ! and when you spray your room make sure you get in around all the skirting (if u have any) so basically the edges of the room! don't forget about under the bed, a good way to judge how bad your problem is, is to fill a WHITE bowl with water and put a small amount of washing up liquid in it (don't bubble it though) and place it on the floor and put a lamp next to it, leave that over night and it should give you an indication of how bad the problem is, quite handy :) Also if they were in your room chances are they could be anywhere so spray the whole house!

You need to repeat the treatment every 3 days for about 9 days because sprays cant kill eggs and cacoons only fleas and lavea.
If you do it every 3 days it interups the cylce so 3 days later you get the newly hatched baby ones before they start te laying eggs.
Also empty your hoover straight away after hoovering and get rid of it outside because the fleas just escape out the hoover again.
We had fleas in our new flat when we moved in (cacoons can lay dormant for up to 3 years waiting for movement to wake them) and the little buggers spring back up every summer.
Poor cat gets the blaim but hes never been outside, the irony of the house giving the cat fleas

I discovered my two cats have fleas last night :(

i've treated them with bob martin spot on but is there any way i can find out whethrr we are infested? Or is it a given if they have fleas?

This is the first time theyv had fleas too so im clueless!

Xx

Oh they are awful, I feel your pain. We've had a problem this summer despite treating my cats as normal and nothing worked!! I felt sick with having a young baby in the house although she and dh haven't been bitten, just me.

In the end I went to the vets who gave my cats a strong prescription flea treatment and gave me an insecticide spray for the house. Told me to Hoover, spray round the edges of each room (as pp said that's where they lay their eggs), leave for 2 hours and Hoover again.

Nightmare to get rid of. Apparently a lot of fleas are immune to the treatments people usually use like frontline so maybe your mil fleaed them but it hasn't worked. To keep them out of your room you'll need to flea the whole house though as they will get back into your room on you guys.

Good luck.

Bluskai bob Martin isn't very good, didn't work for me. I would call your local vet asap. They have stronger spot ons that will work and a spray for your house too, just in case.

I discovered my two cats have fleas last night :(

i've treated them with bob martin spot on but is there any way i can find out whethrr we are infested? Or is it a given if they have fleas?

This is the first time theyv had fleas too so im clueless!

Xx

The bob martin stuff is pretty poop hun! You need the proper frontline stuff from the vets.. If you have fleas on your cats they are 100% in your home. So you need to treat everywhere xx

Oh noo really? :( I'll have to get some other stuff then, the thought of having fleas in the house is just wrong! Guess it's worth investing isn't it.

xo

I'm in the process of getting rid of fleas! I used bob martin spot on and it did nothing, then paid out for frontline and a spray for the house. The frontline hasn't worked as I have seen a flea on my cat two days after using it :( I have since read fleas are becoming immune to this so have no idea what to try next..I hate the little sh*** x

We have in the last day or two had a flea infestation, poor cat is mainly white but I can see the little critters, front line, didnt work so its of to the vets for the strong stuff, my mum used to use a household spray called nuvan top that killed them pretty damm quick, went to look at getting some and its been banned, not surprised it was potent but worked :haha:

I couldn't believe frontline didn't work, it's always been good in the past! Your vet will have something stronger, I can't remember what my vet gave me but it's a spot on called advantix or similar. It's prescription only but will def work.

I spent a fortune on pet shop stuff before I rang my vet and none of it worked, so annoyed I wasted so much time and money.

I think because its so widely avaliable now they are becoming immune to it, years ago it was prescription only, not surprised the fleas are immune, picked one from our cats nose last night popped it in half and it was still jumping about!!

I love my 2 cats but having a new baby in the house has pushed me to the limit with this flea problem. Can't bear the thought of them getting on her. They seem to be gone now thankfully with the strong stuff the vet prescribed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->