Flying during 1st trimester

smurfy

Reaction score
Hi All

We have a holiday planned to Italy from UK so about 2 hour flight. I will be 10 weeks when we go and will have had 2 scans before hand, as I have had IVF. Apart from maybe feeling unwell on the flight due to morning sickness, I don't believe there is any risks from flying directly to the baby?

My clinic said ideally you would not want to travel until 12 weeks incase there were any issues, but she did say Italy is fine as it has good medical cover etc. She was not concerned by the flight its self.

What is your view? have any of you flown and how was it?

thanks

I'm 7 weeks on Sunday & have just been to Spain for a week. No issues other than the cabin pressure making me feel a little ill but that was it really. Just make sure you get up every so often & move about but I'm sure you'll be fine xx

The only risk I've ever heard of is flying in your last trimester! I've flown in my second trimester before and will be flying in my second trimester this time as well, except much longer flights (7hours) just try to walk around a little maybe half way between the flight!

My SIL had a high risk pregnancy and flew twice in her first trimester. One 1 hour flight at 4 weeks pregnant the another was a 6 hour flight at 9 weeks. Everything was fine :)

I flew to Hawai'i and back, and even island hopped a bit (6 flights total, 9 hours being the longest) with twins (before I knew there were two!) at 5 and 7 weeks. I had no issues, but I would recommend compression socks and bringing your own snacks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->