Follow on milk advice

lewood88

Mom of 2 expecting #3
Reaction score
Ive put dd on follow on milk and she seems content with 3 bottles of 7oz a day but fir the past 3 nights she wakes up at 4 on the dot wanting a bottle so she has a 7 oz bottle! But what confuses me is on the tub it says a babies daily requirement is 500ml - 600mk of milk a day

Shall i let her have 4 bottles of the follow on or is it too much or shud i put her back on first stage? Im so confused

I think first stage is the best until they are 1 - my HV told me not to change milk I think the reason why they make it is because they can't advertise first milk on TV so they have made a 'follow on milk' if your ready to stop breast feeding!

Ok thanks hun ill put her bk on stage 1 :)

It's just a guide. All babies are different.

Follow on milk is a con tbh

It's just a guide. All babies are different.

Follow on milk is a con tbh

we got told at our hospital visit not to bother with follow on milk and my hv said to stick to the first stage if I can and only change to stage 2 if he's taking 8oz bottles and still isn't satisfied.

My lo started waking at 4 for a bottle, so I upped his daily calorie intake and gave extra snacks, felt like I was feeding his constantly in-between naps and bottles and they didn't seem like they were enough hours in the day to eat!! But I kept going at it and he loves food now and sleeps 10 hours.

Like the other ladies have said, there's no real advantage to follow on milk. It's not significantly different that first milk, other than the fact that because it's marketed as only for babies over 6 months, it can legally be advertized in the UK (there is no legal advertizing of first milks here, so they called it something different and made it only for babies over 6 months, which allows it to be included in advertizing). We used it but only because I tried it on a whim and found it eased my daughter's constipation (it's made using a different type of milk protein as a main ingredient). But for most people, there's no advantage to switching and first milk is fine up to 1 year. No matter what you use, just keep feeding as you always would. The packaging for follow on milk is really confusing and misleading and seems to state that if you're using it, it should be so many bottles a day (I think ours was 4 6 oz bottles). That's bollocks. Babies need whatever they need and there's no reason you can't feed more or less than that just like you would with first milk. As for night waking, it's just one of those things that happens and my daughter had at least one night feed most nights until 9 months and then suddenly never wanted another (she still wakes 4-5 times a night even at 15 months, but doesn't want any milk). It will eventually phase itself out. In the meantime, if she's hungry, feed her like you always would regardless of what milk you use.

Hi, I'm thinking of introducing a daily bottle of formula for my 8 month and got really confused with the difference between first milk and follow on milk. So is it true there is no difference between them? I've been giving my son first milk than got concerned that it wasn't suitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->