formula making babies fat?

mandylou

Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1316395/Baby-milk-formula-make-child-obese-5.html

ive just read this... now im a little worried that max is going to get fat!
any views?

what is enriched bottle milk?

I wouldn't worry about it at all - in my opinion its the parents that make the children overweight and not the formula.

I assume they are talking about formulas like hungrier baby formula

That's bollocks. I was formula fed and have never had any weight issues. Almost all of my friends have formula fed and none of their babies/children are overweight.

i thought it might be twaddle, but im paranoid about overfeeding him anyway now he's having 3 meals a day plus formula and that just made me worry even more! lol glad you guys think its shite too!

Think its more likely to effect later life which is why breastfeeding can be a preventative for obesity.

I was BF for a couple of month then went to formula, I was a huge!!!!! baby, really massive :blush:
My sister was fed the same and was "normal"
Both my children have been FF from birth and neither of then are overweight. and neither am I

I think if you carry on giving formula as a drink 3/4 times a day alongside 3 meals a day, then yeah baby/child has a good chance of being overweight as the calorie intake will be massive.

I don't think babies become obese from being formula fed, it is parants who don't use common sense xx

Think its more likely to effect later life which is why breastfeeding can be a preventative for obesity.

I don't agree with this - when you are an adult you get to know how much food you can eat before you put on weight. For example if you find that you are gaining weight then you need to reduce your calorie intake, if you do this you will either maintain your weight or lose weight. You will only become obese if you over eat and don't control what you are putting through your mouth everyday, it has nothing to do with FF or BF. If an overweight adult complains to me that they are fat due to having been FF as a baby then i generally laugh at their ignorance

I don't agree with this - when you are an adult you get to know how much food you can eat before you put on weight. For example if you find that you are gaining weight then you need to reduce your calorie intake, if you do this you will either maintain your weight or lose weight. You will only become obese if you over eat and don't control what you are putting through your mouth everyday, it has nothing to do with FF or BF. If an overweight adult complains to me that they are fat due to having been FF as a baby then i generally laugh at their ignorance
well thats just my opinion. :thumbup:

What utter rubbish!

My experience tells me that it's the food you eat, and the quantities, and the amount of exercise, and the other factors like environmental differences, hormonal imbalances and mental health, that cause obesity,not the milk you're given as an infant!!

It's impossible to overfeed a child when it's just being fed milk. It's stomach is only a finite size and the digestive system can only take so much at a time. When solids are introduced, it's up to the parents to make sure that a healthy, balanced and active lifestyle ensures that their child is healthy. The type of milk has nothing to do with it!! :blush::growlmad:

My Mum was BF, as were all 3 of her siblings. 3 out of the 4 of them are overweight and have diabetes due to hormonal imbalances, inactive lifestyles and an unhealthy lifestyle at different times.

I and my husband and my SIL were all FF from birth and none of us have weight problems, we have always eaten well and been active.

Earl was a big baby, FF'd from birth and has maintained his %iles, is a healthy, active and proportionate little boy!

TBH, I think it's just propaganda! Don't listen! Feeding a child is common sense and the last thing an FFing Mum needs is to be told that they're making their child fat! Grrrr :growlmad:

Me & 2 of my brothers were BF for 2 yrs, & we were overweight as kids & teenagers. One of my brothers was exclusively FF & he's the only one who never ha any weight issues. SO I dont think it's relevant xx

ETA: My 17 yrs old brother is still struggling with his weight as he always eat junk. Me & my eldest brother lost all excess weight when we were 18 when we realised that we need to change our eating habits & start to exercise & eat healthy. I wish BM prevented us frm struggling with weight issues for years.

Me & 2 of my brothers were BF for 2 yrs, & we were overweight as kids & teenagers. One of my brothers was exclusively FF & he's the only one who never ha any weight issues. SO I dont think it's relevant xx

fair enough thats your opinion.:flower:

Omar is FF since day 1. He's a big baby but never been a big eater or drinker. He was at the 90th percentile at 7 mnths but on his last check up 2 days back he dropped to 75th as he's always moving around. He eats healthy. I guess food after weaning is what affect children's weight, Loading them with cocoa milk, chocolates & junk r the main reasons of children's obesity, not formula that is only taken for around 1 yr in their early days. xx

Omar is FF since day 1. He's a big baby but never been a big eater or drinker. He was at the 90th percentile at 7 mnths but on his last check up 2 days back he dropped to 75th as he's always moving around. He eats healthy. I guess food after weaning is what affect children's weight, Loading them with cocoa milk, chocolates & junk r the main reasons of children's obesity, not formula that is only taken for around 1 yr in their early days. xx

Totally OT but where do you get the 'Formula feeding mummy' signature from?
:thumbup:

IMG]https://www.*****************/blinkies/baby11.gif[/IMG]

Add this link to ur signature with openning bracket [

:hugs:

IMG]https://www.*****************/blinkies/baby11.gif[/IMG]

Add this link to ur signature with openning bracket [

:hugs:

Yey I did it - thank you :flower:

Alex was on breast milk and formula on and off for the first 15 weeks of her life. She is now formula fed and is a skinny minnie at 17lb 7oz(she is one year old corrected). We are on formula because of her weight, and her reflux. Its really done not a lot in terms of weight. She has no 'fat' , no chubbyness like babies should :( Formula DOES help a pre term infant put on weight but obviously breast milk has more pros than just that!

If formula made babies fat then why are their high calorie milks? Will that make them obese then?

Daily Mail talks bigger crap every day...... this is the same paper that photoshoped that Billie Piper pic, remember.

I was BF and I have to say I am overweight :blush: My hubby was FF from birth, and he isn't overweight. We eat equal amounts of crap when we feel like it. I do eat healthily too!! Just depends on the person and their metabolism and what they put in their mouths. I don't believe how you are fed as a baby has any relevance on your weight later on

It is my understanding that it is possible for a baby to be overfed with a bottle - be it formula or EBM - as they are not in full control.

I suppose in theory it could be, but TBH most babies will stop before a bottle is drained or be sick.
They do have control over what they take, well mine did as I used vary flo teats, and that means they can take it as fast or as slow as they like.

They are normally sick if you feed them too much :shrug: There is a element of control!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->